Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring Video Idea

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring Video Idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-18, 11:31 AM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Touring Video Idea

Greetings all,

I've been working for some time to better capture my touring/riding and video some footage as well as always taking photos. I've tried numerous things that some have worked better than others, but thought I might share what has been working best so far.

I'm currently using the new GoPro Hero 6 for video, and I must say that the new image stabilization, along with changing the perspective to linear has really made the footage look solid. The old days of the bouncy GoPro footage have not just about been eliminated. For photos, I've really began to rely solely on my cell phone to capture and share most of those. I think the convenience of it just simply makes sense.

One of the issues with the GoPro, however, was that I could certainly mount it to my bars, or helmet or whatever but there was no easy way to one handed grab the camera and easily capture something from the side perspective of my ride, or to grab it and get some selfie style vlog footage, to narrate a bit of where I was, etc. This prompted me to begin looking for solutions for a one handed grab and move GoPro style mount to which I had difficulty finding. Therefore I basically worked with some Quad Lock products to create my own.

If you have been looking for a similar soluition, I hope that maybe this will help you create something for your tours as well. Video of what I created below:

FYI for the microphone setup I'm using, you can check out the Path Less Pedal folks on YouTube as I got that from him on how to setup the mic solution and I must say, I'm very pleased with it as well.

Thanks,
Captain Bob

Last edited by zebkedic; 07-26-18 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added mic info
Old 07-26-18, 11:37 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I generally have a drone flying next to me for the side shots.
Old 07-26-18, 11:48 AM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I generally have a drone flying next to me for the side shots.
Yeah I do that as well, but sometimes depending on the trail and trees, the drone and I have to adjust to good old fashioned camera footage haha.

Thanks,
Captain Bob