Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 12:45 AM
the_pan_handle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I keep reading the updates about the production, but wondering how many orders they need to clear from the crowdfunding?

I haven't got an order in. I want to put one in. Wondering how long I realistically will have to wait.
Old 09-09-19, 08:43 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Unless something changes drastically I would guess at least a couple of years or more if Helix is still alive. Roger
Old 09-16-19, 01:58 AM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Currently about 120 delivered. Delivery started in March of this year if I remember correctly. Total sold is in the 1700+ range. Order will reopen after a few hundred are completed - how many exactly I don't know. There are two ways to acquire if you have not supported:
1. Wait for order to reopen.
2. Find one in the open market.

I do think that these sets the bar for folding bikes. Just amazing folded size and ride quality.

Originally Posted by the_pan_handle
So I keep reading the updates about the production, but wondering how many orders they need to clear from the crowdfunding?

I haven't got an order in. I want to put one in. Wondering how long I realistically will have to wait.
Old 09-16-19, 03:31 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
I remember this project from a couple years ago. I was thinking it was shelved until i saw this thread. Happy to see that pledgers are getting their bikes. From what i remember it was the coolest folding bike project. I still have my doubts regarding its fit for a person with a relatively short torso and longer legs (like myself). And i remember it being a little bit too expensive
Old 09-16-19, 08:35 AM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultralight
Currently about 120 delivered. Delivery started in March of this year if I remember correctly. Total sold is in the 1700+ range.
At 250 bikes per year it would take about 6.8 years. Anyway, it's an amazing achievement and a step forward in bike design.
Old 09-16-19, 02:07 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
I still have my doubts regarding its fit for a person with a relatively short torso and longer legs (like myself). And i remember it being a little bit too expensive
The Bromptons are touted to fit up to about 6'4" (maybe even a bit taller?). I'm 5'11" and my Brompton fits fine.

As for the Helix being expensive... yes, they're expensive. However, if you got in at the crowdfunding stage, you did get a lot of bike for the price, so compared to the amount I paid for my Brompton, the Helix would have represented a pretty good deal if you had been willing to take the risk of crowdfunding.
Old 09-18-19, 07:34 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Latest update has arrived.
Efforts to increase production continue.
Plans are interesting....to say more might be inappropriate.
Old 09-19-19, 08:14 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
If it inappropriate why say anything at all? Roger
Old 09-19-19, 04:05 PM
AvnerBen

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Latest report

200 bikes assembled and to be delivered by mid October. They are currently capable of more than 100 a month, aiming at 250 next year. The current estimate is to clear all Kickstarter orders by next spring(!). Two more developments to occur in parallel: accessories to commence soon, starting with mudguard and carrying case. The second is more interesting. They are considering the prospect of expanding and manufacturing for the general audience. a realistic price was mentioned. I am not sure if I am allowed to quote it, so suffice it to say that we backers, ofif we live to see our bikes, have made a fantastic deal indeed...
Old 09-19-19, 07:40 PM
Muttmoments

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read carefully

You may want to re-read the proposed solution which states that it will have minimal impact on delivery times. Any impact on delivery time means “jump the line”.. anyone else have their hackles up now?
Old 09-19-19, 09:41 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Side by side folded - Brompton vs Helix

I cannot recall if anybody had posted images of the Brompton side by side with the Helix when both are folded, but if it helps anybody, here are some images of the two together. NOTE: The seat of the Helix can go down MUCH further, and would be virtually at the same level as the Brompton when both bikes are in their folded configuration.

I left the seat up on the Helix because: 1) my removable bottle holder on the top tube is in the way; 2) the quick release back rack is in the "out of the way" position; and 3) I was too lazy to pop the seat down and then try to remember my ride height later! So, in the images, don't let the seat height trick you into thinking the Helix is fantastically larger than the Brompton: larger by a bit, yes; by that much? - no.

And yes, the garage door could use a new paint job....

Side by side

Superimposed (sort of!)

Width from the top (ignore the handle bag and rack attached to the Helix).
Likes For Ozonation:
Old 09-20-19, 05:28 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Even without taking into account the saddle and seat-post, Helix is significantly higher than the Brompton.

And remember ths Kickstarter campaign claims:

SMALLER

Helix was designed from the ground up to be the smallest and most compact folding bike in the world.
Old 09-20-19, 05:47 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
If it inappropriate why say anything at all? Roger
People want to know the update has arrived so they can go read it.
(In the past, Helix has asked us to not divulge details.)
Old 09-20-19, 05:51 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Even without taking into account the saddle and seat-post, Helix is significantly higher than the Brompton.

And remember ths Kickstarter campaign claims:
I always inferred the claim....

"Helix was designed from the ground up to be the smallest and most compact folding bike in the world."

.....to be mean "smallest folding bike in its class, ie, 20" to 24" wheels".

Marketing puffery always needs to be translated into real worldspeak.
It folds smaller than my 20" Dahon Helios. That's pretty darn good
for a bike with significantly bigger wheels.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 09-20-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-20-19, 07:16 AM
Jipe

My Birdy with 20" wheels is also smaller !

So, let say "smallest in its class , i.e. 24" wheels".
Likes For Jipe:
Old 09-20-19, 11:37 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
FYI I funded Helix and I'm waiting like everyone else. I just sent the below to Peter.

Peter,
You don't owe everyone a bike right away. It seems to me that you should start selling bikes to new customers. The backlog will get filled later. You should not assume debt to do the deliveries first. Sure you will get some slack from customers, however that doesn't matter. You have proven you can build the bikes. The wait may take 5-7 yrs. Eventually you should try to deliver, however you are in a different phase now.ThanksYan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Likes For downtube:
Old 09-20-19, 12:16 PM
Ultralight
Banned

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, I too read it to mean smallest fold in its class. If you consider that the Helix folds not a whole lot larger than the Brompton, it really is remarkable. 16" vs 24" wheel is a huge difference ride wise.

Yes, they latest announcement is very interesting and I too am good with that announcement. Supporters really got a killer deal indeed.
Old 09-20-19, 12:19 PM
Jipe

Selling bikes to new customers only make sense if the price let some margin which probably means a huge increase wrt. the Kickstarter prices.
Old 09-21-19, 01:07 PM
joewalp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Kickstarter backer, I'm curious about terms and disposition of circa 2016 Helix preorders. Was there a deposit? Was the deposit full price? Have you received project status updates? If so, how were those updates published? Have you recently received notification that retail sale will resume? Do you have any info about what quantity of preorders have been cancelled?

If you prefer not to post in this thread, please feel free to message me. This is not a legal fact-finding effort; I'm merely curious.

Lest there be confusion here, I ought to mention that the forum at helix.ca for Kickstarter backers is not open to preorder holders.

My obligatory on-topic comment is that I'm glad for opportunity to support innovation in folding bike form factor and manufacturing technology. I hope that the company thrives. The bike appears to have a healthy market among affluent apartment dwellers and casual recreational riders.

I'm moderately disappointed that its weight with fenders will be heavier than a 6-speed Brompton with fenders. The small weight difference won't impact me, but it makes the bike less relatively appealing to my wife. After we receive our bikes, I'll post impressions in the review thread.
Old 09-22-19, 01:59 AM
Jipe

Normally, pre-orders can be cancelled as any order of an online product.

With the huge delay and the slow production that make expect an even longer delay, there were surely cancellations.

The weight is indeed disappointing.

For comparison, the latest third generation titanium Birdy with full suspension weight one kg less with its stock component that aren't high end at all.
Old 09-22-19, 07:46 AM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
For comparison, the latest third generation titanium Birdy with full suspension weight one kg less with its stock component that aren't high end at all.
Ti Birdies now come with 24" wheelsets?
Old 09-22-19, 08:56 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by spambait11
Ti Birdies now come with 24" wheelsets?
Of course not, but 24" wheels are useless on a full suspension bike.

The Birdy is much more comfortable than a non suspended bike with 38x507 wheels.

Note that the Birdy disc accepts ETRTO 349, ETRTO 355 and ETRTO 406 wheels.
Old 09-22-19, 10:59 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Of course not, but 24" wheels are useless on a full suspension bike.

The Birdy is much more comfortable than a non suspended bike with 38x507 wheels.

Note that the Birdy disc accepts ETRTO 349, ETRTO 355 and ETRTO 406 wheels.
Is there suspension losses of efficiency due to bobbing of the shocks as there are with Moulton?
Old 09-22-19, 12:05 PM
grayrest

Bikes: Birdy, Orbea Gain, Optima Baron, SatRDay

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Is there suspension losses of efficiency due to bobbing of the shocks as there are with Moulton?
Yes, that will happen on any bike with suspension and is why lockout is a feature. I ride a Birdy and can modify my pedal stroke to minimize bob up to about 100 rpm but I get bob at higher cadence or when I go out of the saddle. As long as the pedal stroke is good, those losses are relatively minor. If your goal is going fast on a Birdy, the first thing to fix is the body position and the second is the gearing. Hitting 100 rpm on a 52/11 gear ratio is only ~21 mph.
Old 09-22-19, 12:33 PM
Acabal

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Airnimal

The helix promises to be a great Nike but as of this post I think the airnimal is the overall winner. All parts on the airnimal are available and u can really depend on the bike. The helix is an experimental bike. Let's hope it catches on

Originally Posted by kayakindude
Joe I am not trying to veer off topic and was responding to the previous posters comment. Both the Airnimal and the Helix are 24" bikes. Yes the front wheel has to come off of mine. I keep hearing that is a deal breaker for commuters. As a commuter I am just trying to say that in day to day experience in an urban setting I have not found that to be the case. I am not trying to take away from the Helix which looks awesome, I'm just trying to point out that a folding time difference of maybe another 30 seconds really going to make that much of a difference? How many times in a day is the bike folded? Mine is twice a day. Is the average 4? That is a similar issue with bike weight. I keep hearing 25 pounds vs. 20 pounds is a no-go, but I am just sharing the experience that lugging a 20 (Airnimal) or 25 pound (dahon...closer to 27) bike up two flights of stairs at the train station exit feels about the same to me. To me the beefy frame/tires and rolling feature are what makes the Helix a better bike in an urban environment. When you have that in conjunction with a good fold and a decent weight then you have a better overall package. Just my opinion as an avid Helix thread reader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.