Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dork disc

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Keep dork disc or remove it
Keep it
16.41%
Remove it
83.59%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Dork disc

Old 10-03-19, 04:25 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I know you know this, but it’s not “when” you dump the chain into the spokes, it’s “if”, and it’s only going to happen if the limit screw is set incorrectly and/or the RD hanger is bent inwards accidentally. A normal, properly adjusted bike doesn’t dump the chain off the big cog. People manage to get tens/hundreds of thousands of miles out of their frames without a catastrophic chain drop.
Needing a helmet is also an "if", but do you wear one? Plus, to the average person, a helmet or lycra is a lot more dorky than a plastic spoke protector.

If I have a disc the right size, I'll keep it. This is coming from someone who saw the advantage when my mountain bike derailleur got out of alignment after a fall. I don't like them when they are oversized or broken and will seek a replacement.
Old 10-03-19, 06:31 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Needing a helmet is also an "if", but do you wear one? Plus, to the average person, a helmet or lycra is a lot more dorky than a plastic spoke protector.

If I have a disc the right size, I'll keep it. This is coming from someone who saw the advantage when my mountain bike derailleur got out of alignment after a fall. I don't like them when they are oversized or broken and will seek a replacement.
Bad comparison. Crashes can happen on any ride and are usually out of your control (other riders, cars, weather, bad roads, whatever). The helmet could save your life. I know it's saved me on a few occasions, or at least prevented more serious injuries.

Shifting into the spokes only happens when your RD is improperly adjusted or the hanger is bent. If I crash on the right side, I replace the hanger if bent and check the limit screws. Plus, unlike the consequences of getting it wrong when not wearing a helmet, the worst that can happen with no dork disk is jamming your chain and having to replace some spokes. That's better than a skull fracture.
Old 10-03-19, 06:56 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Bad comparison. Crashes can happen on any ride and are usually out of your control (other riders, cars, weather, bad roads, whatever). The helmet could save your life. I know it's saved me on a few occasions, or at least prevented more serious injuries.

Shifting into the spokes only happens when your RD is improperly adjusted or the hanger is bent. If I crash on the right side, I replace the hanger if bent and check the limit screws. Plus, unlike the consequences of getting it wrong when not wearing a helmet, the worst that can happen with no dork disk is jamming your chain and having to replace some spokes. That's better than a skull fracture.
The bike barely fell over and I didn't think to check the dérailleur with such a minor fall. The worse that can happen is losing control of the bike and crashing. However, I would agree that this is not likely to happen as you aren't going full speed if you are shifting into the largest cog.

I'm just a bigger dork than you with my dork disc and helmet.
Old 10-03-19, 06:57 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Can I vote 73 more times to keep the race, I mean poll, neck-to-neck?
Old 10-03-19, 07:10 PM
Jeff of Vt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I forgot about the old steel ones.

It got me thinking... Are there custom dork discs? Dork disc or wheel cover, something shiny and blingy. Gold-colored, intricate patterns, LED lights, whatever. I would actually buy some wheel bling, whether it's a dork disc or wheel cover. No, not something professional and cool looking like those TT discs. No, something gaudy and flashy. I want the bicycle equivalent of hub cabs and beauty rims.
Old 10-04-19, 06:36 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
The bike barely fell over and I didn't think to check the dérailleur with such a minor fall. The worse that can happen is losing control of the bike and crashing. However, I would agree that this is not likely to happen as you aren't going full speed if you are shifting into the largest cog.

I'm just a bigger dork than you with my dork disc and helmet.
I mean, I don't care if people keep them on their bikes, I just like the aesthetics of not having one on my bike. I crashed a few years ago and thought, "I definitely hit my hanger, but it looks straight", so I tried shifting into the biggest cog after sorting myself out. Chain went right over the cog and into the spokes and jammed, had to replace all of the drive side spokes and the RD hanger. Lesson learned, but I did sort of anticipate it so I was pedaling very slowly and that's the only time in ~50k miles where this has occurred for me.
Old 10-04-19, 06:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff of Vt

It got me thinking... Are there custom dork discs? Dork disc or wheel cover, something shiny and blingy. Gold-colored, intricate patterns, LED lights, whatever. I would actually buy some wheel bling, whether it's a dork disc or wheel cover. No, not something professional and cool looking like those TT discs. No, something gaudy and flashy. I want the bicycle equivalent of hub cabs and beauty rims.
If they were made of carbon-reinforced polymer and sold by makers of expensive gear with prominent logos, they'd be popular.
Old 10-04-19, 07:21 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
They make good bird feeder trays

I keep the metal ones
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 10-05-19, 04:07 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Came back from a ride this morning and rays of sunshine were glistening off the cassette. Then I noticed the dork. I knew immediately, and the dork knew, this was his last roll. Snip, snip, snip and it was gone. In my view the cassette area is a fine work of engineering and machining that doesn’t deserve to be tainted by this piece of plastic. By most accounts it will likely weather and eventually break off anyway.
Thanks for the input. Point well taken to ensure the RD is properly adjusted.
Likes For Fendertele:
Old 10-05-19, 04:51 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
Came back from a ride this morning and rays of sunshine were glistening off the cassette. Then I noticed the dork. I knew immediately, and the dork knew, this was his last roll. Snip, snip, snip and it was gone. In my view the cassette area is a fine work of engineering and machining that doesn’t deserve to be tainted by this piece of plastic. By most accounts it will likely weather and eventually break off anyway.
Thanks for the input. Point well taken to ensure the RD is properly adjusted.
+1
Old 10-06-19, 09:02 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
What is accomplished by removing it, other than it being gone?
Old 10-06-19, 10:15 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
This does not address the wisdom of having a dork disc, but just sayin - none of the many regulars on my group rides has one, and if some new person shows up with one, I silently assume that this is a person without a lot of road experience, and I keep my distance from them in the pace line.
Old 10-07-19, 06:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
What is accomplished by removing it, other than it being gone?
In theory, you look less like a dork. In reality, for some the drop in dorkiness will be imperceptible.
Old 10-07-19, 06:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

If I "ran" a dork disk, it would function like one of those animal secondary sex characteristics, like the peacock's tail, which serve no purpose other than attraction, actually detract from purely physical fitness, and signify a surfeit of vitality and coolness simply by their awkwardness.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-07-19, 06:36 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think the word you are searching for, is "foreskin".
Old 10-07-19, 06:43 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I think the word you are searching for, is "foreskin".
What's that?
Old 10-07-19, 06:59 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Today's word of the day, to be added to the auto-censor. Come on, only 171,472 words in the English language to go.
Old 10-07-19, 07:58 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
weren't kickstands mostly removed/replaced with centerstands because the "traditional" placement of them could cause frame damage if people sat or leaned on the bike with the stand engaged? IIRC it caused stress to be put on the frame in a way it wasn't designed to handle
Old 10-07-19, 11:36 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The so called dork disc is like an insurance policy = you hope you never need t but if you do you're really glad you had it. If a chain for whatever reason goes past the largest cog then a "dork disc" saves the spokes from being gouged and then later breaking.

Cheers
Old 10-07-19, 11:59 AM
edscott.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fendertele
I have read several pros and cons. Trying to decide whether to keep it or remove it.
If your bike actually needs it, either the rear derailleur is incorrectly adjusted or is not hanging in a correct vertical.

If you just like how it looks, then it's your bike.
Old 10-07-19, 08:34 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Remove it, except if it's one of these:
Old 10-08-19, 04:24 AM
Kahsyrbag

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff of Vt

Look up bicycle moon discs.
Old 10-08-19, 10:03 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
It looks odd on a sexy bike IMO...

My question would be more ''Why would you need one'' rather than ''Should I keep it or not''. If it has no real purpose, get that thing out of yoooo sight.
Yeah, that's what I thought. UNTIL I did a bit too fast of a shift to low while climbing a hill and the chain jumped over the big cog and JAMMED between it and the spokes. Tore up the spokes, source of subsequent spoke failures, all on the drive side so impossible to replace on the road. Now, I have dork discs on all of my bikes. I favor plastic, and just big enough in diameter to do the job. Not big enough to prevent a super bent long cage derailleur from getting in the spokes, more of a chain guide in case the chain jumps the big cog.

I've also had the chain jump the small cog, and on my bike the spacing there is perfect for the chain to jam there too, and I don't have quick releases for an easy unjam (by choice, an urban bike, I use nut axles for slightly improved anti-theft, but mostly because adjusting the wheel bearings is so much easier and bearing preload stays more consistent). So I've pondered if there is a cluster lockring that is thicker or has a step to prevent that. I thought of putting a spacer behind the cluster, even bought one, but that greatly reduced lockring thread engagement to a point that I thought compromised things, so I didn't go through with it.
Old 10-08-19, 11:46 AM
hagak

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Yeah, that's what I thought. UNTIL I did a bit too fast of a shift to low while climbing a hill and the chain jumped over the big cog and JAMMED between it and the spokes. Tore up the spokes, source of subsequent spoke failures, all on the drive side so impossible to replace on the road. Now, I have dork discs on all of my bikes. I favor plastic, and just big enough in diameter to do the job. Not big enough to prevent a super bent long cage derailleur from getting in the spokes, more of a chain guide in case the chain jumps the big cog.

I've also had the chain jump the small cog, and on my bike the spacing there is perfect for the chain to jam there too, and I don't have quick releases for an easy unjam (by choice, an urban bike, I use nut axles for slightly improved anti-theft, but mostly because adjusting the wheel bearings is so much easier and bearing preload stays more consistent). So I've pondered if there is a cluster lockring that is thicker or has a step to prevent that. I thought of putting a spacer behind the cluster, even bought one, but that greatly reduced lockring thread engagement to a point that I thought compromised things, so I didn't go through with it.
Sounds more like you need to fix your RD, most likely just the limit screws, but you could have a something bent or loose. I shift my gears extremely fast under load and never had this issue as do many many other riders.
Old 10-08-19, 11:52 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch

You need to adjust the high/low limit screws.

I've never seen the disc on GC or sprinter's bike so are you saying you shift faster than they do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.