Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 01:22 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
While still much better for the environment than driving, an e-bike is not as good as straight human power. I'd also get less exercise on an e-bike as already mentioned. Further, I enjoy bikes because of the simplicity of them and the thrill I get from moving fast under my own power. Don't you remember what it was like to run like the wind as a kid? I get that same feeling on a bike.
What if you could work just as hard as on a regular bike, but go faster? I'm pretty sure that's possible with pedal assist bikes.
Old 10-30-15, 01:45 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
What if you could work just as hard as on a regular bike, but go faster? I'm pretty sure that's possible with pedal assist bikes.
I'm sure it's possible and I have no doubt that it provides it's own type of thrill. Just like skating is different from running and cross country skiing is different than alpine. With Alpine skiing, gravity is providing the propulsion but it's still work getting down a hill. Speed depends on the hill, your skill, and your tolerance for risk.

With Cross Country skiing (on the flats), you provide the propulsion; how fast you go depends on your technique, the equipment, genetics, and fitness. A lot like cycling. There's a thrill in going as fast as I can go that's different from how fast the bike is moving based on the level of assist and whatever I'm adding to it. It sounds like many pedal assist bikes have a speed limiter anyway which is pegged at something slower than I can do on my own.
Old 10-30-15, 01:53 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
And if someone's main purpose for commuting is exercise, then it seems that you would want to make it more difficult, not easier. In other words, you would ride an 80 lbs bike and not a 14 lbs bike. When someone tells me they commuted 10 miles on their Walmart bike, I'm more impressed by their effort than the guy that did the same commute on his 14 lbs carbon fiber bike.
I would say there is a difference between wanting to get a good workout in and being a masochist towards yourself! 10 miles on a walmart bike sounds about as fun as a prostate exam. I don't think my crabon fibre bike would make a very good commuter...I love riding it, but it doesn't hold anything (though next time I'll probably put my Carradice on it). Whereas my 30 lb Peugeot is at least smooth and shifts/brakes well (when thinking of a wal mart bike).

I might consider a pedal assist if I had a cargo bike and no car, as I live in a moderately hilly area, but for carrying a change of clothes and my lunch, I'm just as happy to pedal.

Anyways, glad it is working out for you. They have their place, it's just not with me in my current lifestyle or commuting situation.

I also wonder if they are significantly less expensive in those countries.
Old 10-30-15, 02:03 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
OK... you win! E-bikes are not an ideal commuter. I hope you win every race on your commute. I will shut up about it now.
You realize that you've done it again right? I provided what I feel are very valid reasons for not choosing to use an e-bike for my commute, and your response was to dismiss me as a CAT-6 racer.

FWIW, I just told somebody the other day about e-bikes and that one might work out well for them. Just because they're not something I'm personally interested in, doesn't me I don't see their value for people in different situations and with different preferences.

Last edited by tjspiel; 10-30-15 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 02:18 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
I would say there is a difference between wanting to get a good workout in and being a masochist towards yourself! 10 miles on a walmart bike sounds about as fun as a prostate exam. I don't think my crabon fibre bike would make a very good commuter...I love riding it, but it doesn't hold anything (though next time I'll probably put my Carradice on it). Whereas my 30 lb Peugeot is at least smooth and shifts/brakes well (when thinking of a wal mart bike).

I might consider a pedal assist if I had a cargo bike and no car, as I live in a moderately hilly area, but for carrying a change of clothes and my lunch, I'm just as happy to pedal.

Anyways, glad it is working out for you. They have their place, it's just not with me in my current lifestyle or commuting situation.

I also wonder if they are significantly less expensive in those countries.
I prefer commuting with my road bike over my utility bike. My road bike isn't carbon, but it's built the same way carbon bikes are, and I rigged it up with a rack and trunk bag/panniers, and have clip-on fenders for wet weather. My utility bike is at least 10 pounds heavier by itself, and I sit upright and it's very comfortable. But for a 15 mile commute it's just not as efficient. My average speed is definitely slower on it, and I don't want to make my long commute take any longer than it has to be.
Old 10-30-15, 03:59 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
That is exactly what you can do with an E-Assist bike... I do that every ride, I put in all the effort I can and with a 35% assist on level 1 I can go farther or get to where I want to go in less time...

Last edited by 350htrr; 10-30-15 at 04:02 PM.
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 10-30-15, 06:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

Nope
Old 10-30-15, 08:44 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I guess if I wanted to "motor" to work, I wouldn't waste my time on an e-bike. I'd go straight to an old BMW R60/5. If you're not going to pedal, why mess around?
I'm all for that. In fact, I'd rather see the BMWs on the bike trails. BMW riders seem to be the nicest, most courteous, and mature people you'd ever care to meet.
Old 10-30-15, 10:18 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
OK... you win! E-bikes are not an ideal commuter. I hope you win every race on your commute. I will shut up about it now.
And you wonder why you have failed to win many converts.
Old 10-30-15, 11:14 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by loky1179
I'm all for that. In fact, I'd rather see the BMWs on the bike trails. BMW riders seem to be the nicest, most courteous, and mature people you'd ever care to meet.
That's at least as good a stereotype as the ones held about e-bikes - good job. Just sayin' that if I didn't pedal my old steel bike to work, I just as soon be heading in on a vintage BMW bike. I'd also settle for an old Moto Guzzi, too.
Old 10-31-15, 11:33 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
And you wonder why you have failed to win many converts.
You win, too! Thanks for playing. (This was never a competition, just a discussion... but here is a trophy for you.)
Old 10-31-15, 02:58 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If you could afford an e-stick would it be your "go to" for beating a dead horse?
Old 10-31-15, 03:04 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If you could afford an e-stick would it be your "go to" for beating a dead horse?
Classic movie mistake - stop beating when you think its dead. A mistake that is virtually never made on bike forums!!
Old 11-02-15, 04:28 PM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
To answer the original question, not for me as a daily commuter. However, I would still like to have one in the stable. I'd like a dutch-style bike with good cargo capacity that I'd use for trips around the neighborhood. Basically, I'd like to offset the extra weight with a little "help". It would also be nice for winter when it's extra hard to grind through mucky snow: just throw on some studded tires. I was in Europe not too long ago and saw no problems mixing regular and e-assist bikes on the bike infrastructure.
Old 11-12-19, 09:09 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
My e-bike is the only reason I still CAN be a cycle commuter. Invisible disabilities ******g SUCK, by the way, but I am glad I can still get out and enjoy my rides with a bit of electric assist.

The other options were public transit (I do love the C-Train, but it's stressful and expensive by comparison to cycling), or breaking down and buying a car for the first time since 2005 (also stressful, expensive, and very much against my personal values).

I have been able to regain quite a bit of strength over the year I have been using the e-bike. That is encouraging. I had a major surgery in 2017 that knocked me back pretty badly.
Likes For Buglady:
Old 11-13-19, 10:06 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Old thread!

I see people riding ebikes, who have probably not been on any kind of a bike in years; and it's great that they're out on a bike. And I see delivery guys using ebikes, probably riding them for hours every day, probably delivering food more efficiently than they would be able to do otherwise. All this is a good thing.

Occasionally I see commuters on ebikes, often guys who look to me to be just as fit as I. Frankly I don't know why these guys need an ebike. Maybe they just like it. Whatever; it seems to work for them, and it does me no harm, so, you know, whatever. All in all ebikes seem to be a good thing. But I'm still not interested.
Old 11-13-19, 11:45 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Yes, my ebike is my goto commuter. I commute 12 miles each way. I started out on a regular bike, but I wanted to have more consistent times going both ways. My ebike is my tool to get to work non sweaty, but still getting a work out. I've lost 25 lbs on the way and my doctor has reduced my insulin levels by over 50%. Hopefully, this riding season, I''ll lose some more weight where I won't need medication. I'm not training for anything, just destressing to work and on the way home. My goal was to beat public transportation times. I use about level 2 /3 out of 4/5 assist levels. I try to keep my speed around 15 MPH. If I need to get home quicker or if I'm tired I increase the level by one. I've only used the highest level of assist to check it out. I have a class 1/2 bike that limits me to 20 MPH. I see more regular bicyclist speeding on the bike route. I've paid about $1500 for each bike. People ask me why I don't get a Trek or Electra ebike, it has better components. Well my answer is I didn't feel that those bikes add that much more value than my present bike. I might get one in the future, but I'm satisfied with my current bike, I'm not sure if ebikes require better components as far as the transmission is concerned, brake maybe. I love enjoying nature and having my physical capability augmented when I need to. I'm no spring chicken, but just trying to survive in this world. I feel like my ebike is a lifestyle thing as opposed to a fitness thing, but I'll take the fitness thing no matter what. I'm not training for a 100 mile ride, or a triathalon, I just want to get to work.

My first ebike commuter.

My current commuter.

Last edited by alloo; 04-04-20 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 01:23 AM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Neither of my ebikes are my go to commuter except when it is icy/snowy and I take my winter studded tire ebike, my Velomobile is my main commuter in non icy/snowy weather.
Old 11-14-19, 05:30 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
E-bikes not for me right now. Maybe when I’m in my 80s. Right now I’ll petal or ride my motorcycle.
Old 11-15-19, 03:42 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Old thread!
WHOOPS!!! I'm normally really careful about that

On the other hand, e-bikes have changed quite a bit in the past 4 years so maybe it's worth a new conversation!
Likes For Buglady:
Old 11-16-19, 07:52 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Sure my ebike is a great commuting tool or option. I love it! If the weather is bad, I ride my scooter or catch public transportation. I have nothing to prove anymore.
Old 11-17-19, 11:40 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yes. I can just turn off the power assist, if I want a workout.
Old 11-17-19, 02:32 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I know at some point I'll need one, but for now I like my classic steel street steed. Hopefully conversion kits will be better by the time I need it, so I won't have to switch bikes. Now, an e-cargo bike I would love to tiny bits right now. My bank account says otherwise.
Old 11-17-19, 07:26 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
My pedal assist e- cycle is on order, I'm looking forward to having the extra push when I'm pedaling a 4 row studded tire uphill after a long workday through Boston slush and snow.

I think the new wheels are going to be a lot of fun. My greatest concern that is that I like the e-bike better than my 3-season commuter, and that is not really a big concern.
Old 11-18-19, 09:00 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don’t think I could ever afford an e-bike. But if I hit the Powerball and become wealthy, for sure the first thing I will do is buy an e-bike. Then I’ll quit my job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.