Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why carry a multi tool?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why carry a multi tool?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 09:43 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I've carried a Park MTB3 multi tool for years, only used it once for my own purposes while on a ride, but used it several times on other peoples bikes as well as once to fix person's car. Problem is once you decide not to carry a multi tool there will come a ride in which you'll wish you had it. I also use my multi tool when dinkin with my bikes at home because it's handy right in my saddle bag. I also carry a small pair of folding pliers, which I don't understand why cycling multi tools don't include pliers.
Old 12-26-19, 11:20 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I’ve had handlebars and brake levers get bumped out of position in crashes/hitting potholes at speed, I’ve had spokes break and wheels knocked out of true by bad road surfaces, I’ve had to adjust saddle height, clear position, etc on the road and on 2 occasions had to remove a rear derailleur that got caught in the spokes (once mine, once another guy’s). I could have resolved none of these issues without a spoke key, Allen keys (4, 5 and 6mm), screwdriver, chain breaker, all of which are included in my multi tool. My current multi tool even has tire levers, so my saddle bag nowadays contains it, a tube, and snacks.

yeah, I like having a multi tool.
Old 12-27-19, 10:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I carry one, I've used it multiple times. Although I agree with OP, flat tires are more common. I carry tire levers for those, as well as a spare tube AND a patch kit! -- and I've used all three.
Old 12-27-19, 02:14 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My only effective tool is a cell phone to call Uber which I did once.
Old 12-27-19, 02:59 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. In my experience, 99% of mechanicals are flat tires, the rest are things a multi-tool can't fix- frayed cable, broken saddle bolt. Yes, I carry one; but I've never used it.
You may not need it often, but when you need it, it'll save your day. I use mine several times a year, plus it's awfully handy to have it right there in the saddle bag. No need to go looking for the tool box or borrow tools.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-27-19, 03:24 PM
ndrose

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I carry a hex key set. Not sure if that counts as multi, as it’s just multiple hex keys. For other tools I find multi tools awkward, so they just sit around my garage. A couple of screwdrivers, the hex key set, pliers, adjustable wrench, spoke key fit fine in a small saddlebag.

Spare tubes, tire levers, and mini pump go in the handlebar bag, although, maybe I’m just lucky, I haven’t actually had a flat in almost 30 years (ok, some of those years I wasn’t cycling, but still). I’ve only ever had two, and they were simultaneous.
Old 12-27-19, 05:49 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
You haven't been riding long enough.

I almost never need it, but I've done chain repairs, derailleur adjustments, brake adjustments, etc
I also carry two spare tubes and a patch kit.
Sounds like me. I carry extra tubes as well. Nice when you need them.
Old 12-27-19, 09:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
My wife has a pretty demanding job which pays for most of our lifestyle - including my bikes and a semi-retirement which allows me lots of riding time. So, calling her, in the middle of the workday, and asking her to drive thirty miles away to rescue me, would not be cool. So I carry a lot of tools and spares while riding.

While gravel racing, stuff breaks due to mud, sand, crashes, etc. So I still carry a lot of stuff.

("Stuff" includes a big multitool.)
Old 12-28-19, 12:26 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 343 Posts
For day trips, I carry a multi tool with a chain breaker
For multi day touring, I carry the hex set with ratchet, chain breaker, needle nose, cassette tool, and a leatherman.
I have used the hex tools numerous times, the chain breaker a couple times.
Old 12-28-19, 10:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Seriously. In my experience, 99% of mechanicals are flat tires, the rest are things a multi-tool can't fix- frayed cable, broken saddle bolt.
Pretty much my experience too.
Old 12-28-19, 10:34 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Crashing aside, which might damage something that might possibly be fixable or adjusted with a multi-tool, I think that generally nothing should need to ever be adjusted or fixed during the course of a road ride if your bike has been properly maintained in the first place.
Old 12-28-19, 10:45 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My wife has a pretty demanding job which pays for most of our lifestyle - including my bikes and a semi-retirement which allows me lots of riding time. So, calling her, in the middle of the workday, and asking her to drive thirty miles away to rescue me, would not be cool. So I carry a lot of tools and spares while riding.

While gravel racing, stuff breaks due to mud, sand, crashes, etc. So I still carry a lot of stuff.

("Stuff" includes a big multitool.)
My wife has none of the above, but would still not be terribly interested in me calling for help 30 miles away.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 12-28-19, 11:58 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
I carry a Crankbrothers F15 out of superstition. The first day I don't carry it, I'll need it. I never used it yet, but it has a built-in bottle opener. I never used that either.

Likes For Moishe:
Old 12-28-19, 12:27 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
After 3 decades of not needing anything but a spare tube, pump and levers, i mostly stopped carrying tools. Except for a new bike that may need a bit of adjustment or if im far away from home and other means of transportation. I had one chain break, but that was entirely preventable. Just change it a bit before "a million miles" :-) > Preemptive maintenance is where its at, IMO.
Old 12-28-19, 02:08 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
As a security blanket?
Old 12-29-19, 06:52 AM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Forty years of riding road and mountain and never carried a multi tool or needed one. Even on multi-day touring rides. The only time I've had a mechanical was a broken pedal body so had to pedal home mostly one legged and no tools could have fixed that. Why would I start carrying one now? Seen lots of other people on group rides who needed one but I'm not in the rescue business.
Old 12-29-19, 12:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Moishe
I carry a Crankbrothers F15 out of superstition. The first day I don't carry it, I'll need it. I never used it yet, but it has a built-in bottle opener. I never used that either.

That caught my eye too, but the Hero Kit was nearly as small and half the price. But no fancy magnet cover.
Old 12-29-19, 01:45 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I have a rack on the back with a "good" size bag for all kinds of " goodies".

Lucky enough to have never needed, but must be prepared .

First aid kit
patch kit
zip ties
towel
gloves
paper towels
Old 12-29-19, 01:46 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Oh...forgot power bars
Old 12-30-19, 12:18 PM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Oh...forgot power bars
i may have used a chain or spoke tool 5 times in 80000 miles
hex wrench maybe 2 = 3 times a year

pliers never, crescent wrench never, scissors from keychain maybe 1 time a year
yes it is mostly flats

wle
Old 12-30-19, 12:29 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I carry either an E3 multitool like the Hero kit tool above or a Park MT-1 along with tire levers, tube, patches etc. and I've had to use the hex keys regularly for minor adjustments and the spoke wrench occasionally. So far I've avoided needing a chain breaker on the road. I also have a PDW 3rensho 15mm wrench from when I had a tandem with a bolt on rear wheel. I get enough use out a multitool to consider it worth the space.
Likes For SlowJoeCrow:
Old 12-30-19, 01:07 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
I carry one because, in case of a flat, I need a 6mm hex to remove my thru-axels.
Sure, I could get away with carrying just a 6mm, but the Topeak Mini 9 multi tool that I have is so small, and lightweight, that it's one of those "why not" things.
Old 12-30-19, 01:15 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I carry one and it gets used from time to time - usually on someone else's bike
Likes For pallen:
Old 12-30-19, 02:01 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
I carried a full complement of tools. Then I thought it was a bit overkill, took out the chain tool. A week later someone was disabled on the bike trail with a broken chain, I could have taken out two links and got them going. I put the chain tool back in my kit. I don't mind the weight, just having to take the trunk bag off when the bike is chained at the library, but I would have to do that anyway to keep just the bag from being stolen.

I carried individual tools, but when buying a used trunk bag at goodwill, there was a Topeak bike multitool inside, super bonus. Now I carry that.

That Rocket Ratchet above looks really slick, I might check into that. But I can't recall a road event that would need the speed of a ratchet versus just a wrench. My most common road maladies and tools required:
  • Flat tire; Tire levers, sticky patches, spare tube, pump. I also have nutted axles so need a wrench, I carry a small adjustable one.
  • Broken spoke; Spoke wrench to retrue to make it home. I also carry spare spokes but if it's on the cassette side, I won't have the tools, a lockring tool and big enough wrench is just too much weight.
  • Loose crank; Correct size allen wrench.
  • Loose pedal; adjustable wrench.
  • Broken chain: Chain tool.
  • Front derailleur limit off adjustment; Small phillips screwdriver. Note: This can also help you get home if the cable breaks so you can adjust it into the right ring.
  • Broken derailleur cable: Spare cable and cutters (yes you could coil the cable end but I carry one long enough for the rear derailleur so that's a lot of excess for the front), or limp home as noted above.
  • Massive pothole bends side of rim; For the axle nuts, I carry an adjustable wrench, and that doubles to bend the rim back out or in.

EDIT: I'm really impressed with Topeak over the years in terms of innovation, those folks are thinking. But that tiny torque wrench from Feedback looks slick. However I have never needed a torque wrench on the trail, I can approximate things pretty good. The main thing I use a torque wrench for is the bolt holding the rear cassette body to the axle, that needs to be right on. For at home, Harbor Freight sells click-stop torque wrenches for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" drive, on sale all the time for $10 (regular $30 but this is a "loss leader" to get you in the store), and believe it or not, they are not bad, they work. Only once, the calibration ring came loose on one, and I thought for a minute, then adjusted the calibration ring so the spring just engaged when the dial was at zero; I later checked against another wrench, it was right on.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 12-30-19 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 04:35 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
The "Hero Kit" reminds me of the "Tern Tool" I carry with me on my Tern folder. I use it mostly for tightening the various folding joints and the brakes, but it would theoretically work for flat repairs and a bunch of other tasks. It has held up well for several years.
On my road bike I carry a set of "Fix-It Sticks" which I got (on sale, luckily) at InterBike a couple years ago. I've supplemented its contents with some other favorite tools; the hex bits are interchangeable, so I only carry those that I'm likely to need. A Wolf Tooth chain tool fits in the case too, with a couple spare links.

Originally Posted by canklecat

Hero Kit multitool, the thinnest and flattest I've found that features useful chain and spoke tools.

Last edited by sweeks; 12-30-19 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For sweeks:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.