Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Super Sport, suggestions please.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Super Sport, suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 08:34 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Iowegian The adapters work pretty well for replacing the ashtabula type cranks, I have made certain that they are still available, doing some recon at various on-line vendors. Nashbar has them in stock when checked there. I have the same manufacturer's adapter for using BSC bottom brackets in BB30 crank shells, on my CAAD 10, it has been 100% trouble free, and gives me some expanded choices for crank sets and bottom-brackets. I trust them completely.

Top's SS is something to shoot for, and Pastor Bob's "Sporty"and Paramount always make my liver quiver! As do many of the others that have appeared here.

Doing the Schwinn has been a different world than my two previous builds here, both were Italian/Italianate and are totally Campagnolo components. Schwinns are something else to restore or refurbish. Some of the sellers feel that Campagnolo NR/SR prices are chump change. Luckily, the C&V folks here offer up some true bargains! (getting back to the original track of this thread......)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-10-19, 06:01 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowegian
Top's yellow SS is soooo cool that I might even get it power coated in that color
Thanks.
FWIW, mine is powdercoated as well. The guy at Maine Metals called it 'Safety Yellow', but I thought it was a pretty close match to the original Schwinn 'Kool Lemon'.
Good luck with your build. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 02-07-20, 07:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Update, I've acquired Suntour V-Seven derailleurs, a long cage RD, and some Kool Lemon vinyl bar wrap. I have everything that needed cleaning as far as headset bearings and such soaking in WD-40. the frame set has been thoroughly cleaned with Dawn detergent and then the existing decals were removed as they were in rough shape.

The paint isn't in as bad a shape as I initially feared, the bad places (where rust is a worry,) will get attention with rust remover and some spot priming and touch up paint. Anyone got the Pantone numbers for Schwinn "Kool Lemon"? Or, suggestions for a Testors/Tamiya scale model paint that is close?

Several leads on brake calipers and levers, but they can wait for now. Stem and bars will be next, there is a seller on ebay with the correct items at a decent price, maybe this weekend. Crankset is going to be either a Stronglight or a Velo Orange double, and a Praxis adapter to allow me to use an English Bottom bracket. I'm staying with a double chainring up front, the 32T large cog on back should allow me to get low enough here in "pancake flat" Florida. Finally, it looks like Suntour bar end shifters will get the nod for that duty.

Pictures will be posted when assembly begins, nothing to see here folks, YET.

Bill

Old 02-07-20, 07:58 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
All good points have been presented, so I've got nothing to add except a pic of my '73 Super Sport.
Full Suntour Sprint groupset, bar-end shifters, Sun CR-18 rims, and 1 1/8" Panaracer Paselas.
Oh, and the cool homemade leather bottle holder.

Likes For 67tony:
Old 02-08-20, 09:10 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

67tony , man that makes my liver quiver. outstanding SS there my man

Bill

Old 02-08-20, 12:48 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
67tony , man that makes my liver quiver. outstanding SS there my man

Bill
I loved that bike also, but ended up selling it to a nice young dad from Chicago.
He had plans to pull a child trailer, and then a child seat.
He appreciated the vintage, and recognized the upgrades.
I felt good selling it to him...
Likes For 67tony:
Old 02-08-20, 08:17 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Found the Weinmann centerpull brake calipers and levers I wanted this afternoon, some promising Stronlight crank sets were added to my watch list too.

Slowly but surely.....

Bill