Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Starting to have fun!!

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Starting to have fun!!

Old 03-01-20, 03:47 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Starting to have fun!!

Having some practice brazing. I made up this rear brake hanger but was having a challenge because of the difference in material mass. So after doing some research went at it. I filed a groove to accept the cable guide then I preheated the barstock and put a puddle of brass in the groove then I preheated the guide and the barstock and set the guide into the puddle.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 03-03-20, 11:48 AM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Having some practice brazing. I made up this rear brake hanger but was having a challenge because of the difference in material mass. So after doing some research went at it. I filed a groove to accept the cable guide then I preheated the barstock and put a puddle of brass in the groove then I preheated the guide and the barstock and set the guide into the puddle.
Looks good! Get a little dab at the top on the right where the bar meets the seatstay - just to complete the fillet. I find taking pictures and looking at my work through pictures help me see it more objectively and I spot little things that I don't see in real life. I can also zoom pictures which helps.
Likes For duanedr:
Old 03-03-20, 12:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
I hate that when I clean off the flux and there is a spot like that. As I keep saying, I need to get my cataracts fixed
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-03-20, 03:46 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I didn't see that! Oh boy more torch time!!
Old 03-04-20, 12:43 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I didn't see that! Oh boy more torch time!!
EXACTLY my point! I literally take photos of my work while it's still hot and then look at it through my phone. I find low spots, shorelines that have receded a bit and other little things that I would want to go back and fix. Slowly, the more I do it, the less they happen but, it still does.