Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD — Got the Kona

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD — Got the Kona

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 08:33 PM
TortoiseAvenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 4 Posts
NBD — Got the Kona

Thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision. Ultimately, I test drove everything, and waited a few days, and the Konda just felt the best. Was great to do business with Oak City Cycles in Raleigh. They apparently have a tradition of everyone in the shop grabbing a prop from the store (of which there are several nutty options) and taking a picture for someone's NBD. I never let ANYONE take pictures of me, but, these guys were the real deal, so I said ok.

Lots of things going on in life right now. Just moved into a new downtown area after a divorce. Lost 55 pounds so far. More to go. Maybe the bike will help. Rode to the grocery store early this morning for the first time, which felt truly amazing.... not sure I can explain it. I've been fat most of my life, yet today, my body did something it needed to do for itself... it hauled it's own ass to the grocery store. Kinda cool. Anywho, again, I hate pictures of myself, but this is too priceless not to share. Enjoy:

Old 03-15-20, 09:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,031 Times in 4,471 Posts
Cool tradition! Enjoy the bike and keep at it.
Old 03-15-20, 09:19 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Congratulations on the Kona! Don't forget to get a Greenway map from that fantastic bike shop.
Old 03-15-20, 09:38 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger
Thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision. Ultimately, I test drove everything, and waited a few days, and the Konda just felt the best. Was great to do business with Oak City Cycles in Raleigh. They apparently have a tradition of everyone in the shop grabbing a prop from the store (of which there are several nutty options) and taking a picture for someone's NBD. I never let ANYONE take pictures of me, but, these guys were the real deal, so I said ok.

Lots of things going on in life right now. Just moved into a new downtown area after a divorce. Lost 55 pounds so far. More to go. Maybe the bike will help. Rode to the grocery store early this morning for the first time, which felt truly amazing.... not sure I can explain it. I've been fat most of my life, yet today, my body did something it needed to do for itself... it hauled it's own ass to the grocery store. Kinda cool. Anywho, again, I hate pictures of myself, but this is too priceless not to share. Enjoy:

Congratulations on your purchase, now get ready for the pain.

Your ass is going to hurt.

Don't blame the saddle yet. Ride it for 4-6 weeks, and let the tenderness go away before you think about a new saddle.

BTW, ditch those wheel reflectors. They are useless.
Old 03-15-20, 10:46 PM
MotoBacone

Bikes: 2013 Bianchi Impulso, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1995 Trek 1400, 2019 Cannondale Topstone, Redline Conquest Disc-R, Masi Speciale Fixed, Velo Orange Polyvalent Low Kicker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy NBD and congrats on the weight loss! Great bike!
Old 03-15-20, 11:19 PM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Go man go!
Old 03-16-20, 06:45 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
TortoiseAvenger,
Good on ya. Ride it like you stole it.
Old 03-16-20, 07:34 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Awesome! Your post made my day.
Old 03-16-20, 08:45 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
First off----Fantastic name. First-rate.

Second .... any time you are feeling fat, come stand next to me .... everyone will call you "The thin one."

Third---congrats on the weight loss. I know how hard it is .... and I have only mange to keep off 25 pounds (so far) though at best I lost almost 50.

And yes, using your bike for errands and stuff .... great fun. I had to google the bike because I skipped the other thread .... looks like a great, do-everything bike. I have Spyres on my Sportif .... they stop as well as very good rim brakes and don't have that "Oh,no" moment in the rain. I have never tried 1x, but 11-42 with a 40t ring will certainly work for off-road and loads and everything except super-high-speed descending .... which i wouldn't do anyway .....

Not so sure on the mental health of the staff of the bike shop, though ....

Keep us updated.
Old 03-16-20, 09:05 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Ride, ride, ride!
Old 03-17-20, 06:36 PM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Congrats on your weight loss. Great looking bike.
Old 03-17-20, 07:10 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. Great choice.