Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Big Bend Ranch State Park Touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-20, 09:34 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

We did a little bikepacking trip down at Big Bend Ranch and I made a little video for anyone interested:

Likes For zebkedic:
Old 03-19-20, 10:03 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Nice! Pretty badass to ride w/o suspension forks though some parts look fairly smooth.
Old 03-19-20, 10:26 PM
zebkedic

Yeah it was pretty rough in some places and some areas were really pretty smooth. Overall great experience though and I would recommend it if you have interest in some off road style terrain. Beautiful country in it's own unique way
Old 03-20-20, 07:11 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I had to look it up; I didn't realize it was part of Big Bend State Park instead of the National Park. My wife and I did a nice four day trip to BBNP in 2018 during spring break. We drove around and did a number of day hikes. I'd love to do what you did though. Looks like you had fun. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-21-20, 10:15 AM
zebkedic

Yeah Ranch is a little different than Big Bend National in that you can do more back country camping without having to have a camping location. Getting reservations for spots in Big Bend National Park is sometimes a quite a waiting list, but in Big Bend Ranch, you can just get a back country permit and camp pretty much anywhere.
Old 03-21-20, 11:48 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
There was an episode dedicated to BB State Park on the show: I Shouldn't Be Alive. This couple got lost hiking in the State Park, but fortunately the husband made it back and helped find his wife. It made me glad I went to the National Park.
Old 03-21-20, 04:00 PM
zebkedic

Big Bend Ranch State Park is no joke. Two weeks before we were there, a man came of the bike on a rugged down hill, broke his femur, and the park rangers took 3 days to get in by horseback, and get him out to an area he could be air lifted for surgery. It's rugged, remote, and should be taken seriously. In fact, more seriously than we took it because we just had not idea it could be as challenging as it turned out to be. That being said, there are areas that are easily navigated and easy to ride, so just take the info from park rangers seriously when you check in and plan your route with them.
Old 03-23-20, 05:44 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
I hiked the Outer Mountain Loop trail two years ago with my girlfriend in April. Beautiful area though carrying 3-4 gallons of water each for the first two days was quite a lot. But we certainly needed it. On the first day when we descended into the desert area it was just past noon and it was so hot we decided to just set up our tarp and relax in the shade for a few hours until the temperature went down.

I can imagine it being a really cool place to ride though.
Old 03-23-20, 09:35 AM
zebkedic

Yes you get a real quick appreciation for water and really need to plan accordingly. We thought we were pretty well stocked, but you'll be amazed how much you consume in that dry air. Even when the temps weren't crazy hot, you lose a lot of hydration. Lips easily chap and skin quickly becomes dry, etc.
Likes For zebkedic: