Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 01:14 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's Jocelyn Lovell at the 1982 World Championships on his unique 1 kilometre bicycle. Besides designing and constructing the frame himself, it has an ingenious, automatic shifing, two speed drivetrain of Jocelyn's own

Lovell was not in peak form
Tops! Regardless of results, himself a MACHINE!
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 03-16-20, 02:44 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
@Lattz VintageTTfan Thanks for the likes on my Krono build. Its been fun so far and I'm surprised how good the deep V rims look.

I originally meant to take a year building it but parts became easily available. But now with the crisis on our hands things will slow down. Some parts I need/want are overseas and I wont be buying them anytime soon.

Keep posting the TT bikes. I may end up getting another TT bike.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 03-17-20, 07:59 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Man, I wish I could find a Somec in this sort of condition.
Thanks, yeah, I must say, I have a lucky streak (wasn't always like this, lost 3 bikes to thieves int the past year). Usually I go for wrecks, had no high hopes with this one as well, and just bid low on a "why not" basis with the tranquility of the hopeless. Although I liked their bikes ever since I saw the first one, it was so out of my leagues, that I didn't even dream about having one once. But the guy said yes, and it ended up not being a real wreck.

Anyway sad but might be true, that in the development of the current situation, more people will be forced to sell their stuff, as the N-th bike might not be as essential as food or other consumables. I'm not hunting these, but I'm sure there will be more things popping up in the market (and also in the trash, where I get most of my stuff) than usually.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-17-20 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-17-20, 08:22 AM
cleroica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
I quite like that orange and cream Kalavinka frameset.
Likes For cleroica:
Old 03-18-20, 02:30 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
The owner of this Kalavinka frequently posts over on the Paceline Forum and owns a matching track bike also.

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 03-19-20, 09:19 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Given the aero mount shifters, I was going to say early 80’s, but if those cobalto brakes are original, it’s more likely late 80’s. So in the case of the former I’d go a Nuovo Record groupset, or C-Record for the latter. (I’d probably put C-Rec on anything! )
Besides I religiously adore C-Record, I would not throw these off for anything in echange (sorry for bad pics). The red panto is a nice update on the RD from Campagnolo's black sticker.
So much I like Somec and pantographed parts, the thing they did on the C-record is not my thing, while this (and all their older stuff) is art.... Just the right amount of "as much as possible"

Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-19-20, 07:10 PM
m_sasso

Don't believe this has been posted and I have never seen one like this, with this front end before .

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-19-20 at 07:17 PM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 03-19-20, 07:42 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
I was wondering where that second chainstay went, then I found this:

Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-22-20, 11:09 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
3Rensho in the wild at my wheel builder in San Diego.

: Mike
Old 03-23-20, 08:07 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
That is a wild one alright. Thanks for the post.
Your welcome, lets make it 3 3Rensho

: Mike
Old 03-24-20, 07:41 AM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Been wanting to include some racers......by the way....stay strong and don't give up the fight.......here are some historical photos:
Those are very interesting photos! In the one of the Italian team I notice that they are using integrated shift/brake levers; that’s rare to see. Do you know the year of the photo? Also, it is an interesting combination of downtube and bar-end shifter on the MAPEI Colnago with the ITM handlebar. Again do you know the year of that photo?
My own Gazelle has been upgraded with a complete Shimano 600 group with the STI brifters and the same ITM handlebars. I was thinking of changing that to downtube or bar-end shifters and aero brake levers, but I might just run it as is for now.
Likes For FlemmingM:
Old 03-24-20, 09:56 AM
Lattz

Lots of color and vibrant bikes.....that is TT Land and it always will be.
Oh man, these Battaglins are haunting me... beautiful bikes. My brother is a Battaglin rider, and I played with the idea to get one random cheap Battaglin just to ride together (he got infected with road biking when I bought my first Bianchi) on Battaglins, as the "celeste brand" is more expensive, so the other way around would be challenging.
Many nice road bikes popped up in the local classifieds for so low prices, I'd have bought all of them just to save them, but I can hardly sleep, since we have 2 of these online for a rather modest price (~EUR500) of course no Campa, and no disc wheels, but hey, no one can look beside this frame. It's like an affordable Moser La Hora for the not-knowers. Its also nice to see, how they repositioned themselves lately, and choose to break out from "once upon a time big name, now low-mid class bike maker" to boutique brand ensuring that the best possible handcrafted bikes coming out from their hands without compromises to quality.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-25-20, 09:35 AM
Lattz

If its Battaglin day, let them rain!!!

These are the two we have over here in the classifieds. The grey one appeared a few months ago (so insomnia is going on for a while now), the pink is a new addition. Loads of potential in both (pics:ebay).

The pink is really eye popping for cool girls maybe, but it's not for me, to be honest without all the shiny paint and high end parts they might not look a lot more than just a simple, uncomfortable bicycle. Even though the whole style of this pink one is not me, I give a plus for the matching Selle SMP (the color, not the shape) and the bartape. This bike is just quickly rattle-canned, and still look a lot more than the first one by these two things.

But colors (minus the chromed one) and parts are for the help!!! The original Carrera livery was really beautiful in my opinion, and on the steel-vintage one, the Shimano Tricolor 600 might not be C-Record, but a big step up from the 105 and Aris on the prev. 2, sweeeet (pics: steel-vintage)!

Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-25-20, 01:37 PM
Lattz

So in conclusion, those are two great bikes that are very cool (with bad paint jobs) and thanks for posting them....your taste in bikes is really good.....like your love for SOMEC and Takhion.
Thanks. There would have been a Part two posting, (which I will do right after this). Just a side note, these two are "real life" versions of the dreams many of us are chasing. For many, it's easy to got to Steel Vintage, Cicli Berlinetta or or similar companies and fork out a few thousand euros for nice bikes, but let's face it, for the most not. With road bikes its easier to fake the feeling (if thats what someone likes, not me) with a somewhat similar painting and a decal set, but you cant fake a lopro frame (will come back to this with 2 awesome pics, remind me if I'd forget). And these are not even fakes, these are the real things, ugly as they are... (hell, they are horrid, I wrote a long line just to "praise" the pink rattlecan but decided to remove it, as one half of me understands the guy/girl, who might made at least somewhat good looking from hopefully trash - rot in hell if you oversprayed a Carrera painting, even if it was bad!!! on top i write way too long posts). If a guy like me (close to 0 budget) would get one of these most likely the next rattlecan paint (I said like me, not me), or the "next corner" car painter is waiting for them. If one of the aforementioned companies or similars would get them, they could easilly invest 4-800 EUR in nice painting, and a few hundred on a normal groupset and bang! the 500 eur bike costing like 1200-1500 is readily available for buying for close to 3k (theoretical, these days are just about to be over as I said earlier in a post). Or someone just buys them for the garage shelf, because once the current crisis is long gone, these will worth way over 500 eur even as-is. These are not dream bikes, just a step closer to those.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-25-20 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-25-20, 02:56 PM
Lattz

BATTAGLIN - PART II.

VintageTTfan as said, the stream didn't stop at the lower end, I just had to run shopping. So now the higher end of the non-original side of the world. Nice paint or chrome eh?
(pics from Pedalroom)

No serious Italian bike anything racing related brand can exist without at least one thing "dipped" in the beloved Rosso Corsa. I personally like it, but we're not all the same, for some its too extrovert, while for others its dull compared to some other artistic colorful works on IT bikes.

I always thought, that red+black or red+white always works.

So move on to the other... hmmmmm lovely... I don't know how big this frame is compared to the prev. ones, but the slpe of the TT looks more dramatic somehow.

Both are simple yet elegant (AND EYE POPPING!!!!)
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-26-20, 06:04 AM
jucan@hotmail.f

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbyville
Stunningly smooth and beautiful bicycle
whaaaaat bike!
Likes For jucan@hotmail.f:
Old 03-28-20, 11:43 AM
Lattz

The only thing I would change ...is that I would put those Silva silver disc wheels on this.

I guess i would happily change any wheels to such a Silva. I remember the first time i saw Silva as such was on the Rossin cx with those atomic sign-kindof paint scheme. Sweet... but these "pure" ones are the hottest.. reminds me to the land speed record breaking cars in salt lakes. And absolutely lends that look to a bike...
Likes For Lattz:
Old 03-28-20, 08:05 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Yowza!!!

Look at this mind exploding speed demon!!! This thing would burn a hole in the pavement....I want to ride this through a regular neighborhood and watch everyone's eyes bulge out. People might start jumping out of their cars while they are moving to take it from me though.

Awesome shape to frame....killer paint colors.....beautiful seat stem with flutes filled with Italian flag paint colors.....a sweet solid chain ring......half wrap matching orange bar tape......niiiice. The best part for me is these disc wheels.....I mean they say Killing System...to make your opponents wet themselves and tremble in fear.....and the holes in the front disc are sooooooo cool....how they shine and glow and taper in like that at an angle.......sweeeeeet.......I would drown someone for this thing probably........
What do the holes in the front wheel do?
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 03-28-20, 10:56 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrevvy
What do the holes in the front wheel do?
The 1896 book Bicycles and Tricycles by Archibald Sharp has a drawing of disk wheels, which were claimed to be faster due to less wind resistance. The front wheel on the bike has 4 round holes in it. Yes, 1896, not a typo, 124 years ago.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Mark B in Seattle
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-29-20, 05:04 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
^ You didn’t let a bog standard road bike into the TT thread VintageTTfan ?

Like Somecs are bog standard
Likes For P!N20:
Old 03-29-20, 05:48 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Or maybe she wants to keep dirt off the tires as much as possible. I do the same when carrrying my bike from garage to house after wiping down the tires lol.

Here's a mock up for you of my TT with the H+Son rims. Im in love with them.

Both rims look like 700c dont they.
Wow. Spoke-less wheels!
Super Conductor magnets?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-29-20, 05:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
These are, sadly, not mine but I thought I'd post them. I saw them over at T-Town cycles (or whatever the new name is) back around 2014. I inquired if the owner would mind if I took some pics of them and he sent me this great 8x10 glossies. The Paletti is my favorite

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-30-20, 04:20 AM
m_sasso

Haven't viewed this Look before, any one know the story behind it? Does this frame have rear suspension?

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-30-20 at 04:25 AM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 03-30-20, 06:38 PM
Lattz

Don't know anything about this one though I believe I have seen it before. Can't escape the feeling that this looks like a running muscular animal. Thanks for the post. If anyone else knows anything about this bike please post it.
It indeed looks exactly like a jumping gazelle (the animal not the dutch bike).
The thing was called TWINBLADE Track Record Bike (i guess it answers the suspension question) and really hardly any info is available on it.
For those interested it worths a google search for it and there check out the Look 796 white paper. The foreword was written by an aerodynamics specialist who also worked in Formula 1 for various teams, he explains really well what whas/is the big thing about Look's ahead of its time innovations. This bike is only mentioned (pic below) but it tells the whole evolution of Look aero bikes.

Last edited by Lattz; 03-30-20 at 06:54 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 04-01-20, 08:16 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Challenge accepted

VGC 54t Campagnolo Super Record aero chainring vintage time trial | Campagnolo Super Record

Likes For malcala622:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.