Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Swindler 275

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Schwinn Swindler 275

Old 10-08-19, 12:29 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Schwinn Swindler 275

I got my Swindler yesterday , put it together this morning after my neighborhood ride.
Pull everything apart far enough to add some fresh grease into the bearings and adjust everything.
Everything went ok until I got finished and found two pretty good size ball bearings that fell out during reassembly . I don’t remember any loose ball bearings except in the front wheel and they were half this size .
From their size , I would say bottom bracket . They fell from chain guard area .
I only pulled the bottom bracket apart enough to see the bearing and I would swear they were in races .
The bike is ok , big enough for me , but definitely feels cheap . I think a new stem and bars would go a long way in making it a better bike . The Springer front end actually works .
I left the fenders off . The rear one had a small dent and they were rattling before I got the bike to got together.
I think it looks better without them . The wheels need to be trued . I need to learn how to do that .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-08-19, 12:34 PM
OldCruiser

BTW , with exception of the outer bearing on the cog side , the rear wheel had plenty of blue grease throughout. I made the mistake of taking it completely apart and had to teach myself how to put the insides back together. Only took a few minutes to figure out how the brake pads went in and how to reassemble without the pads getting out of line .
It'd been awhile since I’d been inside a single speed coaster brake rear hub .
Old 10-08-19, 03:35 PM
OldCruiser

OK , I got this crazy idea .
Once I figure out where the two ball bearings came from
I bought a set of custom wheels for one of my Electra C1’s . I’m thinking of swapping wheelsets with the Swindler and my old wheels off the C1 .
I’ll use them directly off the C1 paired with Maxxis Hookworms tires . They are 26X 2.5” . I checked out a tire size chart and the 26x2.5” are only .70 inches shorter than the 27.5X2.125’s .
I don’t think less than three quarters of an inch will make that much difference.
Then I’ll search around in my parts bin for a new stem , that or order one . Then I have a spare set of mini apes I can put on it .
Maybe a set of platform pedals .
The frame looks nice and I’ve always wanted a springer front end . If it feels good after all of the mods , I’ll order a front brake for it .
Oh I just remembered, I’ve got a Shimano Nexus three speed wheelset out there in the garage .
Hummmm , so many directions I could go with this bike .
Stay tuned
Old 10-08-19, 05:30 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
Truing wheels is fairly easy for side-to side wobble...

Watch...
Likes For restlessswind:
Old 10-08-19, 07:31 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
That was fast. Im still waiting for my 7D to show. Looks good in the pictures, I would love to find a decent Springer for mine.

Years ago I decided to rebuild a bike from scratch. Stripped it down to nothing to clean, repaint and reassemble including the wheels. I relaced them and trued them. I used an old fork I had lying around and a brake caliper. Instead if pads I used a few nuts and bolts and just played it by ear and IMHO they came out pretty good it just took a little patience.

Question for you.

How far away is the stem from the top of the seat post in comparison to your Electra? Is it more of an upright or pedal forward? Thanks
Old 10-08-19, 09:10 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD

How far away is the stem from the top of the seat post in comparison to your Electra? Is it more of an upright or pedal forward? Thanks
It’s more of an upright than the Electra .
I’ll try to remember to measure the toptube tomorrow when I get back home from the range .
I pickup a Specialized Rockhopper on Thursday.
I know , I got it bad . What’s bad is I’m also looking at a Framed Fat Tire MTB .
Old 10-09-19, 01:29 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
I pickup a Specialized Rockhopper on Thursday.
I know , I got it bad . What’s bad is I’m also looking at a Framed Fat Tire MTB .

Wow, you've been bitten bad by the bike bug. Well you have to have a hobby...it keeps you off the streets at night.
Old 10-09-19, 02:38 PM
OldCruiser

Wow, you've been bitten bad by the bike bug. Well you have to have a hobby...it keeps you off the streets at night.
Cheaper than collecting cars .
I wished I hadn’t bought the Swindler . But it was only $80 . Impulse buy . It doesn’t really fit what I’m into right now . I’m hesitant to invest more money into it .
I may just find where the ball bearings fell out and hang it in the garage until next years “ Relay for Life “ and let it go to raise money for our team .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 10-09-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 03:37 PM
OldCruiser

As promised;
I measured both from the center of seat post at base to the center of stem at the base .
Electra 25 1/2” , Schwinn Swindler 26 1/2” . Give or take 1/16-1/8”
So the Swindler is a little longer in the toptube . I thought it would be . It feels like it has a longer reach that an Electra , but I thought it might be in the bars , but nope , the Schwinn is longer .

And good news , I found where the ball bearings escaped and they are now locked back up inside the bottom bracket . They fell out of the cage when I was greasing up the chain ring side . Some of that awesome Chinese quality . . They snapped back into place .
I knew that was where they had to have come from , everything else has smaller bearings .
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 10-09-19, 10:53 PM
JehD

As promised;
I measured both from the center of seat post at base to the center of stem at the base .
Electra 25 1/2” , Schwinn Swindler 26 1/2” . Give or take 1/16-1/8”
So the Swindler is a little longer in the toptube . I thought it would be . It feels like it has a longer reach that an Electra , but I thought it might be in the bars , but nope , the Schwinn is longer .

And good news , I found where the ball bearings escaped and they are now locked back up inside the bottom bracket . They fell out of the cage when I was greasing up the chain ring side . Some of that awesome Chinese quality . . They snapped back into place .
I knew that was where they had to have come from , everything else has smaller bearings .
Thanks for the info. It looked like it was a bigger bike but Im happy I went with the Electra. I think its a better bike from the sounds of it. I do like the springer.
Old 10-10-19, 04:43 PM
OldCruiser

Thanks for the info. It looked like it was a bigger bike but Im happy I went with the Electra. I think its a better bike from the sounds of it. I do like the springer.
Hard to go wrong with an Electra IMO . Springer forks look cool , but a better bike will give you enjoyment for years .
Old 10-10-19, 05:58 PM
JehD

Hard to go wrong with an Electra IMO . Springer forks look cool , but a better bike will give you enjoyment for years .

I had my C1 for 10 years. My knees gave out before the bike did I sold it so I could get one with a few gears and hand brakes.
Old 10-10-19, 06:15 PM
OldCruiser

I had my C1 for 10 years. My knees gave out before the bike did I sold it so I could get one with a few gears and hand brakes.
I’m beginning to wonder if I’m going to have to go the multi-geared route . I’ll keep my C1’s for short neighborhood cruises though .
Old 10-10-19, 06:19 PM
JehD

I’m beginning to wonder if I’m going to have to go the multi-geared route . I’ll keep my C1’s for short neighborhood cruises though .

It wasn't so much the peddling but the stopping. I have a Giant Cypress but setting it up to ride and then coming to a stop is an issue so Im looking forward to having my feet back on the ground with the 7D.
Old 10-10-19, 07:25 PM
OldCruiser

That’s a problem I’m having with my new Rockhopper I picked up this morning.
I bought a medium.
Straddling the top tube I touch the bar . I have to hop onto the saddle as I push off to get going . It’s the 29” tires that make the bike so tall . Just like with your Giant and it’s 700 wheels .
My Roll has 650b tires and is barely ok in the height department.
I wished bike companies would offer their bikes in a 26” option .
not everybody has long legs .
Old 10-10-19, 10:23 PM
JehD

That’s a problem I’m having with my new Rockhopper I picked up this morning.
I bought a medium.
Straddling the top tube I touch the bar . I have to hop onto the saddle as I push off to get going . It’s the 29” tires that make the bike so tall . Just like with your Giant and it’s 700 wheels .
My Roll has 650b tires and is barely ok in the height department.
I wished bike companies would offer their bikes in a 26” option .
not everybody has long legs .

My problem is my arthritis. Its trashed my knees but I can't handle the lean. I had a Moto 3I and really like the bike. It wouldve been nice to have a few more gears but I've ridden 25-30 miles at a stretch. It was shoulders and wrists that took the beating. I thought the Giant would be better but setting the bars to a more upright stance just eliminates the space from the seat to the bars and my balance is what it was with the bad knees straddling the top tube.

Life goes on and least I'm on this side of the dirt just riding a little slower.
Likes For JehD:
Old 12-06-19, 10:19 PM
OldCruiser

My problem is my arthritis. Its trashed my knees but I can't handle the lean. I had a Moto 3I and really like the bike. It wouldve been nice to have a few more gears but I've ridden 25-30 miles at a stretch. It was shoulders and wrists that took the beating. I thought the Giant would be better but setting the bars to a more upright stance just eliminates the space from the seat to the bars and my balance is what it was with the bad knees straddling the top tube.

Life goes on and least I'm on this side of the dirt just riding a little slower.
I can relate . I too have arthritis.
It’s been a month since my “little” crash on my Roll , and I’m still having issues .
The arthritis in my hands seems to have gotten worse . And my knees are giving me problems. The colder weather isn’t helping any .
I think for the cold weather , I need to pick out a bike to ride and stick with it . My Matte Bark C1 with the 24 tooth cog on the rear seems to be easiest on me right now .
I’m thinking of going back to the mini ape handlebars to take the pressure almost completely off my hands and wrists .
my hands , especially the left one has bothered me for years , but now it’s both hands and wrists since the fall .
Old 12-08-19, 10:45 PM
JehD

Yeah the cold here has been a pain. My ankles have been screaming and with the wet and snow Im not riding.
Likes For JehD:
Old 05-15-20, 08:08 AM
Andrewelpers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacement Rear Wheel

Hello! I am new to the site, but I am trying to find a replacement rear wheel for my Schwinn Swindler and am having a tough time. Would anyone have any advice or know the best place to start? Thanks in advance!

​​​

Last edited by Andrewelpers; 05-15-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 09:00 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrewelpers
Hello! I am new to the site, but I am trying to find a replacement rear wheel for my Schwinn Swindler and am having a tough time. Would anyone have any advice or know the best place to start? Thanks in advance!

​​​
Here's one place: https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_...els:%20Cruiser

I've purchased wheels from them in past and have always been satisfied with the product.
Old 05-15-20, 09:27 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I've made a few purchases there too and always received good value.
Old 05-15-20, 11:04 AM
Andrewelpers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Here's one place:

I've purchased wheels from them in past and have always been satisfied with the product.
I went and checked it out and apparently they don't currently have any 27.5" wheels... Boo!!! But I will keep this website and check up on them. Thanks!
Old 05-15-20, 01:55 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
The OP's wheels are 27.5", not 26". They're a bit harder to locate.
Old 05-15-20, 03:11 PM
Andrewelpers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumb Question

Originally Posted by tds101
The OP's wheels are 27.5", not 26". They're a bit harder to locate.
I went and checked it out and apparently they don't currently have any 27.5" wheels... Boo!!! But I will keep this website and check up on them. Thanks!
Originally Posted by 2old
I've made a few purchases there too and always received good value.
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
Here's one place

I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but since the 27.5" are hard to find, is it wrong to replace them both with a different size that is easier to replace? Like a 26". Thanks!
Old 05-15-20, 03:30 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
I apologize in advance for the dumb question, but since the 27.5" are hard to find, is it wrong to replace them both with a different size that is easier to replace? Like a 26". Thanks!
It might work if you replace the wheels, tires, and inner tubes with the smaller 26" wheels. There might also be a small issue of the bike being lower to the ground, which will make it easier to hit the pedals on the ground when turning, as well as lower the ground clearance between the chain ring and the ground, allowing the chain ring to be damaged easily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.