Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 05-13-20, 09:10 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
You dare to question the holy faith of the Lo Pro?

No but seriously there was blasphemy posted here before. I had forgotten that I posted it and now I realize that it was a dioss tt bike frame so your comment is timely.....here it is:

At the time, actually I referred to it as "the Abomination that makes desolation." Now that I realize it is a very cool dioss frame, however, it is not so bad. It has a twisted charm besides. Does that answer your question?
Might not be as good/bad/exciting enough but definitely not the intended layout dreamed by the designers. Extra point for converting a 28-26 lo pro to a 28-26 semi-MTB. The cardboard "oval" chainguard is also a nice touch.

Also it is an interesting thing what counts as blasphemy. I would say Japan is an exception from many rules, since they made many weird things as normal part of the culture, which are extremely eye-popping anywhere else, be it bikes, motorbikes, cars or else...

Last edited by Lattz; 05-13-20 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-14-20, 10:46 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

A fair amount of Japanese perfection....

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-14-20, 10:49 AM
Lattz

I am sure one or the other had already been featured here (I remember the silver Illusion from m_sasso's latest bomb attack), but I don't remember seeing them together, even if so, recap for the newer readers!
According to the source (instagram @hdak223) all of them are unique.... sweeet.
The beauty of the EGO tubing is well represented. So does the genius of Harada Tetsuro / Samson.

A rare sight even here in Japan, these Samson Illusion funny bike frames were built by @haradatetsuro with the 1000m time trial track event in mind. The frames are all unique one-offs. The two 'kamiyama red' frames were built for Mr Kamiyama himself (a very famous, strong keirin pro rider), and the silver frame was originally commissioned by Inamura San, another famous pro rider. ​​​​​​

Last edited by Lattz; 05-14-20 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-15-20, 12:42 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts

I've got one of those on the back of my (Le) Kypo: (WARNING! Non-TT content.)

Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-15-20, 01:13 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Hope things are good there in Australia.....at least I think that is where you are located.
Correct. As good as they can be during these crazy times.

Yeah the Zonda rides beautifully. I'm not a massive fan of them aesthetically - I did have them on my Pinarello originally but ended up building a set, so they were hung up in my shed for a year or two with the intent to sell them, but then the Kypo came into my possession and I thought I might as well use them. I'll probably eventually build up a new set, but until then the Zonda (and Scirocco front) will do just fine.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-15-20, 02:55 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts

It kinda speaks for itself. All I can do is sit back and wonder and then say......jeesh! Then I can wish it was mine.
So what did Mr. Epicycle get for this one, must of gone quick, never even viewed it posted? Looks small, like I might be able to ride it.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-15-20, 03:45 AM
m_sasso

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-15-20, 12:27 PM
m_sasso

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-15-20, 07:25 PM
m_sasso

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-16-20, 06:22 AM
m_sasso

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-16-20 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-16-20, 08:39 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by m_sasso

Super cool pic!!! Ive searched Rossin pics for months to find a match to my Rossin(?) EGO tria bike so I thought i've seen pretty much most of them. Well this is new for me... The futura cx is a beast and the guy who tries to tries to get rid of his for like 12k USD made my day once with a 9k offer.. i have the screenshot somewhere. I was laughing for a week whenever it came to my mind. In Italian classifieds they pop up for a rather modest (still eff expensive) 3-4k.

I also remember when ive found the auction selling off the company's asset last autumn.
Sure it was "not that Rossin" anymore but was sad to see a big name disappearing.
Plus they had like hundreds of frames forks and full groups of various kinds from the latest carbon wonders to lugged steel... R.I.P.

As in my country its a catchphrase to say to any bad thing its the commies' fault, well if they didnt help Rossin go several times bankrupt definitely it was no good to any bike company that the SU stopped buying the top-top shelf bikes in masses for its team.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-16-20, 05:01 PM
m_sasso

Anyone know this eBay seller in Troy, Michigan has lots of nice parts for sale and a few bikes? msnamerica

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-16-20 at 05:07 PM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-17-20, 03:26 AM
m_sasso

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-17-20 at 03:44 AM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-19-20, 03:30 AM
Lattz

I gotta love the cardboard oval in the above picture....very affordable and yet an extremely rare one of a kind. Brilliant! It reminded me of a couple of things I posted way back:

I love this....especially the sardonic parody aspect which points out the ridiculous prices that carbon disc wheels cost and the snob element (which I am guilty of...hey I can make fun of myself). Never mind the fact that vintage disc wheels can be a real pain in many respects. This is hilarious and kudos for creativity.

Then there is this:

Sometimes when I am draining my wallet for expensive vintage bike parts I think this is the direction I should go. After all, it is inventive.
Kind of late reply on these, but this cannot be left uncommented.
I remember seeing the #Ghetto Aero disc for the first time, and again it brought me to tears. Guy must be a huge joker, and it looks like it's race proven tech, he should have trade marked at least the name before some rich-azz company decide to make money also on lower levels and steal even that.

And the second one is a true gem. I actually would be really interested to read the story behind these guy as he is really balancing on a thin thread between madman or genius.
Knowing if he did it for a joke, or was really serious about it (we cant know that he's not a physics award nominee on low budget, or a real big name trying to camo the tested equipment like car companies are doing it).
Whatever the truth is, he must have been the fastest newspaper boy, wherever he was. And of course such a beast of an aerodynamic machine would not worth a penny without a big pile of newspaper on the back rack the Cobra commander aero helmet from G.I. Joe. SweetI I love it - no joke, ultimately such guys make the world go forward and advence, usually when they are the first ones to create such things (not always as there were many inventions which were too early for their era just to be rediscovered and became huge success decades later). But also if this guy was riding his female dutch bike against "stock" female dutch bikers, I'm sure he had advantage.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-19-20, 03:42 AM
Lattz

It's both good and bad that this nice pic is BW, it helps a lot to consume the other things on the pic besides the La Hora in focus (the "surroundings" are also interesting. like the Rossin Laser casually leaning against the tree, Fanini Alan in the foreground or that python Olmo frame in the back) but of course it takes away the beauty of the colorful Colnagos, or the fading bartape on the Moser. Still I like it.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-19-20, 12:45 PM
Lattz

And just something to tide you folks over:

I want to explore this Greek make more....it is interesting and unique....the bikes I have seen anyway.....
This is the even rarer "other" (Elin was posted here a few times even in Colnago disguise by you) product of Ukranian aircraft manufacturer Antonov Design Bureau: Enei. I like both but maybe Elin a bit better.
Heres a couple more on a why not basis

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-19-20, 01:09 PM
Lattz

Just a set of classics from Somec's instagram... Im badly in need of the stem from the yellow pista

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-20-20, 12:19 AM
m_sasso

Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-20-20, 04:45 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
I recently joined the club and will start a new thread on the rebuild.....Here is my new to me Bertoni Crono (thanks to straightblock) that needs a lot of work.
I am going to begin my search for 650c front wheel.

It's kind of rough, missing paint and in need of new decals but no dents
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 05-20-20 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-20-20, 05:41 PM
Lattz

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I recently joined the club and will start a new thread on the rebuild.....Here is my new to me Bertoni Crono (thanks to straightblock) that needs a lot of work.

Best, Ben
Oh, man.. you could definitely had a worse start than this, I like it. Congrats!
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-20-20, 06:57 PM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Lattz
Oh, man.. you could definitely had a worse start than this, I like it. Congrats!
Congratulations! That looks like a really nice frame. Those must be pretty rare because there are not a lot of pictures of that make out there in terms of lo pros. You will have a blast building that up. I am sure it will look fantastic because it is an elegant frame with a nice color. All best......
Thanks for the kind words....interestingly it seems that it is all chrome underneath the paint.
The toughest thing will be finding the right wheels.
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 05-20-20 at 07:01 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-20-20, 07:07 PM
Lattz

Thanks for taking the time to posts these Elin bikes. I made a big mistake by assuming that it was a Greek make because of the style of writing on the frame. I will have to do penance and listen to a Cranberries record (sorry fans....no I'm not sorry). Turns out it originates from a Ukrainian aircraft manufacturer and factory "Antonov." The one above is my fav one so far.....the all white looks smooth and cool and those handlebars are to kill for...though the long extensions added on I could live without. This looks like it would be fast somehow. Anyone ever seen one of these show up for sale? Couldn't find much history on these so if anyone knows let us know.

Oh by the way..... it is time I make a public service announcement....this blog/thread would not be as good without
Lattz posting here. This gentleman is very generous with his time which keeps all of us interested and informed. Just wanted to acknowledge that publicly and give him credit. Here are a few more of these bikes to keep the troops entertained:

This sold on Ebay for around 800 dollars I believe.

Nice blue color and smooth sheen.

I like the unusual color scheme.
Thanks for the kind words Also I guess I need to improve my English to write in a more inambigous way. The Z-shaped Frame is Antonov Enei, and the black "more bike-like" one is Antonov Elin.
I'm not sure if Enei was also produced in road version, but the Elin had both track and road versions.

Now to kill it off for a while:
In mid 80s Antonov presented a cross-shaped composite bike frame prototype called the BI-2 ( bi for biology or bison, 2 for 2nd prototype):

The bike debuted in the 89 USSR championships where according to the legend an engineer of Coppi has been proudly showing around their catalogs presenting their newest developmemt, a cross-shaped composite bike and was shocked to see Antonovs' finished one.

Five year later Enei was intruduced and helped the Ukranian national track team to various prizes like gold medal inin the pursuit race at the 1996 World Championships and a silver medal in 1997. I've read tha it weighed 4kgs with all parts but it is not clear what did that include (for full bike would be too light especially considering the UCI min. limit for track bikes)

Still in 97, UCI banmed frames not repressnting two triamgles, forcing Antonow -as well - to come up with a new design. There is hardly ever one showing up for sale, usually for sale in the several thousand Dollars range for frame.

A transitional model (they say its a patched up Enei to present the two triangles)

this was followed by the Elin with a frame+fork weigh of 2.8 kgs. With it Ukraine won gold in the 1999 World Cup plus silver and bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

to be continued...

Last edited by Lattz; 05-20-20 at 07:19 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-20-20, 07:12 PM
m_sasso

Best, Ben

Here is your Huckleberry! Buy!

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-20-20 at 07:16 PM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-20-20, 09:51 PM
xiaoman1 

Here is your Huckleberry! Buy!

Maybe in another life, a little too flashy for me.
Anyway, I am looking for spoke wheels, not discs...
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 05-20-20 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Had to put on my sunglasses!
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-21-20, 11:25 AM
Lattz

Maybe in another life, a little too flashy for me.
Anyway, I am looking for spoke wheels, not discs...
Ben
What's the plan, Ben? If I may ask? Finding wheel is one thing.... but good AND good looking, matching tyres (if it matters to you) for less than the blackmarket price of a left kidney.... thats art these days.

Im sure whatever way you build it, will be cool (no Japanese-styled bmx handlebars, MTB front wheels or other frankenbike accessories hopefully)

Got interested the brand and the firs pic I found was from our famous Bianchigirll from years ago... man... these are nice bikes and shame on me never heard of them....

Last edited by Lattz; 05-21-20 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For Lattz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.