Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eatons Glider

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eatons Glider

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 08:08 AM
Kriscarr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rocks in head
Nothing wrong with that saddle. Apply a coating of Brooks proofide and ride it. Neat bike, awesome paint job. I hope you have many happy miles on it
I just wondered if the cracking was going to mean that it would fall apart if used now.
Old 06-01-20, 08:09 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Kriscarr
I just wondered if the cracking was going to mean that it would fall apart if used now.
That's the point. Use it while you can.
Old 06-01-20, 01:08 PM
Kriscarr

Kick stand is only part that doesn't say made in england or have a Raleigh stamp. It says TRYGG 24" Made in sweden. Of course I have no way of telling if this is original equipment but the rest of the bike is so why wouldn't it be?

Old 06-01-20, 01:59 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

These were the #1 kickstand in Canada since I rode my first 2 wheeler around 62-63. They work very well for awhile, just OK for a little longer and then one day the legs splay a bit more and you have to open one side and then the other. The you get a a new one or leave it off
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-01-20, 09:22 PM
Kriscarr

Originally Posted by clubman
These were the #1 kickstand in Canada since I rode my first 2 wheeler around 62-63. They work very well for awhile, just OK for a little longer and then one day the legs splay a bit more and you have to open one side and then the other. The you get a a new one or leave it off
I managed to get it all freed up and working properly but it was only kicking one side at a time when I started working on it.
Old 06-02-20, 06:55 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Then it's likely to be more frustrating than useful. They also crush seat stays easily. Leaving it off is a good choice
Old 06-04-20, 06:44 PM
Kriscarr

Now that paint has dried and I got a few minutes to tinker I started putting the old boy back together. Everything is going smoothly but I hit a bit of a speed bump when I went to put the badge on the neck. I got the old rivets out but they were not reusable. I realised that I couldn't use a pop rivet due to the lack of clearance and super tiny size. I briefly thought about a very small screw but I had nothing that small. Double sided tape would hold it on but wouldn't fill the holes and would space it away a little bit so wouldn't look right at all. I decided to go into town tomorrow and see of the bike shop had anything and then I went to roll a joint. I opened my drawer were I keep my goods and noticed a tiny brass finishing nail. Dug around a bit and produced another. They were exactly the right gauge so I cut them down just behind the head and went to try to push them in. A couple good taps and its holding perfectly

I decided against trying to repaint the badge and instead just shot it with a coat of clear to preserve what was left.
Old 06-06-20, 02:46 PM
Kriscarr

Today whilst rummaging through my dads shed I made a delightful discovery. Tucked up in the rafters I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be bicycle fenders. I pulled them down and sure enough there is a Glider sicker on the back of the rear fender! They are a little bent and in need of paint but they are definitely going back on. Only piece missing now is the chain guard. Who knows, maybe that will turn up too as I finish cleaning out his stuff.

Does anyone know what the second sticker says? Im assuming thats the model name but its missing some letters. I can only make out ORGE. George? Forge maybe? Being british I figure its very possible its named after king George who reigned until 1952.
Old 06-06-20, 02:55 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Kick stand is only part that doesn't say made in england or have a Raleigh stamp. It says TRYGG 24" Made in sweden. Of course I have no way of telling if this is original equipment but the rest of the bike is so why wouldn't it be?
Unlikely that the bike came equipped with a kickstand when new, but it was very common for people to install one. I worked for a Raleigh dealer back then and even the highest end Raleigh models did not have kickstands included
Old 06-06-20, 06:15 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
What color is that Kriscarr ? Is that a light greyish blue? It looks great. It looks right. Nice job on the paint choice.
Old 06-06-20, 07:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Today whilst rummaging through my dads shed I made a delightful discovery. Tucked up in the rafters I caught a glimpse of what appeared to be bicycle fenders. I pulled them down and sure enough there is a Glider sicker on the back of the rear fender! They are a little bent and in need of paint but they are definitely going back on. Only piece missing now is the chain guard. Who knows, maybe that will turn up too as I finish cleaning out his stuff.
I figure its very possible its named after king George who reigned until 1952.
I have a chrome and painted Raleigh chainguards if you need one, pm me. You'll have to paint it to match.
King George it is but not sure it was original to a Glider.
Old 06-06-20, 07:39 PM
Kriscarr

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
What color is that Kriscarr ? Is that a light greyish blue? It looks great. It looks right. Nice job on the paint choice.
the colour is a light teal called sea mist and white for an accent
Likes For Kriscarr:
Old 06-06-20, 07:40 PM
Kriscarr

Originally Posted by clubman
I have a chrome and painted Raleigh chainguards if you need one, pm me. You'll have to paint it to match.
King George it is but not sure it was original to a Glider.
i may just need one of the guards, how much would you like?
Old 06-06-20, 08:24 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

$10 plus shipping?
pm'd
Old 07-20-20, 10:50 AM
Kriscarr

Been a little while but I finally got the fenders cleaned up and installed.
Likes For Kriscarr: