Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Marin Gravel bikes!

Old 06-08-20, 01:44 PM
UnpavedAttitude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marin Gravel bikes!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and unfortunately I can't post pics yet. I ride a Santa Cruz Stigmata and recently bought the new Marin Headlands 2 and very impressed with the bike and quality in general. I was wondering why not too many people or comments about Marin Gravel bikes? The Headlands 2 is an awesome bike and total weight is 20.1 .
I would like to exchange experiences , thoughts and suggestions with other Marin owner fellows.
Anyone owns a Nicasio, Geltalt, Lombard or Headlands?
Just thinking Marin doesn't get very much credit and appreciation compared to other more fancy bikes/brands like Santa Cruz Stigmata or Cervelo Aspero, Cannondale...etc.
Thank you

​​​​​
Old 06-08-20, 02:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
They dont get much talk around me because the closest dealer is 30mi away and has very little in stock from Marin(last time I was there) and then the next closest dealer is 115mi away in another state. And I live in a metro of 600K with a ton of gravel, a vast network of paved trails, and a solid cycling culture.
They make spec some solid bikes, but nobody around here would know about it.

Ive looked at the Nicasio line on their site, its...interesting.

I build up an aluminum Marin MTB frame for one of my kids- its still the only Marin I have seen out being used in the 15 years ive lived here.
That network of theirs needs to be built up a bit.
Old 06-08-20, 04:04 PM
UnpavedAttitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They dont get much talk around me because the closest dealer is 30mi away and has very little in stock from Marin(last time I was there) and then the next closest dealer is 115mi away in another state. And I live in a metro of 600K with a ton of gravel, a vast network of paved trails, and a solid cycling culture.
They make spec some solid bikes, but nobody around here would know about it.

Ive looked at the Nicasio line on their site, its...interesting.

I build up an aluminum Marin MTB frame for one of my kids- its still the only Marin I have seen out being used in the 15 years ive lived here.
That network of theirs needs to be built up a bit.
Thanks for the reply. Are you from England? I thought that Marin UK was a pretty solid established dealer network.
Old 06-08-20, 06:15 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Bought my first gravel bike last month. No frame of reference to other brands but I'm absolutely loving this bike.

Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-08-20, 06:26 PM
UnpavedAttitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gestalt is an awesome bike! Any changes/upgrades to I the stock bike?
what tires size are you using? Weight?
Old 06-08-20, 07:25 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by UnpavedAttitude
The Gestalt is an awesome bike! Any changes/upgrades to I the stock bike?
what tires size are you using? Weight?
No upgrades yet, unless you count a speaker strapped to my top tube (not in photo). I've already crashed it several times (riding stairs, jumping, etc), tore and replaced derailleur housing, and slightly bent my derailleur hanger, and got 2 pinch flats. Riding stock 35mm tires. My only reference is 23 and 25 on road bikes so they basically feel huge and squishy. But I might like slightly larger (and tubeless) considering the abusive terrain I'm riding lol. First upgrade will probably be tubeless tires, but that's a learning curve and I've been lazy. The dropper post is pretty nice, already made use of it a few times but my skills aren't there yet. Don't know the weight, don't really care as long as I'm not riding a brick. Heavier than my race bike but not ridiculous. I sized down from my road bike which helps make it "feel" lighter, at least in the handling. Probably also some savings in the 1x drivetrain.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-08-20, 07:45 PM
UnpavedAttitude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
No upgrades yet, unless you count a speaker strapped to my top tube (not in photo). I've already crashed it several times (riding stairs, jumping, etc), tore and replaced derailleur housing, and slightly bent my derailleur hanger, and got 2 pinch flats. Riding stock 35mm tires. My only reference is 23 and 25 on road bikes so they basically feel huge and squishy. But I might like slightly larger (and tubeless) considering the abusive terrain I'm riding lol. First upgrade will probably be tubeless tires, but that's a learning curve and I've been lazy. The dropper post is pretty nice, already made use of it a few times but my skills aren't there yet. Don't know the weight, don't really care as long as I'm not riding a brick. Heavier than my race bike but not ridiculous. I sized down from my road bike which helps make it "feel" lighter, at least in the handling. Probably also some savings in the 1x drivetrain.
What type of terrain do you ride your Gestalt? More single tracks than regular gravel/dirt roads?
Old 06-08-20, 08:28 PM
aaronmcd

What type of terrain do you ride your Gestalt? More single tracks than regular gravel/dirt roads?
So far walking trails, fire roads, single track. Any unpaved routes are built for bikes, hikers, or fire roads. It's quite mountainous up north in Marin, and SF has some fun bike trails. I debated buying a hardtail mountain bike, but I like this bike for easy social rides around the city, and the occasional unplanned follow-the-leader through park trails. Also it's an hour and a half ride to Fairfax, and having a road-like bike is nice for getting to the trails.
Likes For aaronmcd:
Old 06-09-20, 01:11 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
The headlands is brand new though so that's probably why it's not that common. Also the popular brands around here are from the big three (S, Trek, Giant) which is what most people buy. I personally think the best gravel bikes in terms of comfort and capability are coming from the MTB brands (Marin, Santa Cruz, Ibis, Kona, etc.)

I just built a Kona Libre and it is one fantastic bike. Geometry is on the money and it's built beefy.
Likes For gus6464:
Old 06-09-20, 03:05 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum and unfortunately I can't post pics yet. I ride a Santa Cruz Stigmata and recently bought the new Marin Headlands 2 and very impressed with the bike and quality in general. I was wondering why not too many people or comments about Marin Gravel bikes? The Headlands 2 is an awesome bike and total weight is 20.1 .
I would like to exchange experiences , thoughts and suggestions with other Marin owner fellows.
Anyone owns a Nicasio, Geltalt, Lombard or Headlands?
Just thinking Marin doesn't get very much credit and appreciation compared to other more fancy bikes/brands like Santa Cruz Stigmata or Cervelo Aspero, Cannondale...etc.
Thank you

​​​​​
I used to sell Marins and own a Muirwoods, which is a fun urban MTBer. They make nice bikes and many people still remember them fondly from their MTB days in the 90s, when they were a small obscure brand that made nice bikes.

This guy in the UK likes his vintage Marins and has a great collection.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-10-20, 02:36 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Hardly ever see Marins down here in SoCal. Always liked their bikes, great looking too. I bet yours is a blast to ride up there (I used to live in Marin!).
You won't regret tubeless. I ride my 650b gravel bike everywhere I used to mountain bike. Waaaay nicer on the dirt than my tubed bike. Nicer on the road too!
Likes For pbass:
Old 06-16-20, 09:19 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
OP sure is hyped on Marin!