Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Genesis Core 50 Good buy?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 07:09 AM
banjaboy

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro 3.0 Specialized Sirrus 6.0 Genesis Core 50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

Hi all, looking for a concrete back to do a little trail riding, want a hardtail. Been looking at a Genesis Core 50. Its mint with a few upgrades. I think its around 2012? anyway, its mint. The guy wants $900 Candadian, $700 US approx. Its got upgrades XTR front hub and a few other bits. I really like it but he seems firm on price. Its exactly the era im looking for. Im an old fart roadie, 69. So, you lads? Yes or no???
Old 08-07-20, 10:39 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
It depends on how you define mint. If mint means few miles and little wear, that is one thing. If mint is super clean and not scratched up, but components show wear, that is entirely different.

Used bikes are getting a premium these days, but you don’t want to buy a bike at a premium and then start replacing parts.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-08-20, 06:20 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Like John said - used bikes are fetching a premium.
Two things I would be concerned about are the 26” tire size and the front suspension maintenance requirements. If it has sat for an extended period of time, it will probably need some work.
If I compare a brand new 29” hard tail with all the modern updates can be found for $1000 usd, that’s a tough comparison.
Also John
Old 08-10-20, 07:33 AM
banjaboy

Hey thanks guys, great advice and I appreciate it. I went over to have a look yesterday and its truly mint. It was a spare trail bike the family had used for when friends came for a visit. We are up here in Whistler BC, the owner is a hard core downhiller, not with this bike. I dont want a 29er, I am old school and and an old dude. This conventional hardtail is just what I was looking for. Shock is coil spring, just my style, drive train is XTR except for rear derailleur, even XTR front hub. Frame is a work of art, I think Genesis were made in Britain when this was built before they moved to Taiwan. The only thing I dont like are the super wide bars, 780 I believe and green grips easy to cut the bars down. I know I know but remember Im an old bastard, like em a bit narrower. Shock is simple to service, nothing to really go wrong. The owner is a really hands on owner and kept it mint. He feels its never been anywhere other than walking trails. Honestly, it does look brand new. I gave him $200 to hold it until today and I can change my mind if I like. I purposely went without my rack on so I wouldnt make a hasty choice. I think I should pull the trigger, what do you think guys. BTW, what do you recommend for a flat pedal?
Old 08-10-20, 09:27 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
It's way inflated IMO, but that's what the demand may be asking. Last year, the same bike couldn't get sold for $400 on eBay
This was few years back and in the UK for what it's worth, but its a sexy color combo
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2025136/
Old 08-10-20, 10:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Any decent mountain bike flat pedal will work; I wouldn't go super light weight for that bike. I use Wellgo MG-1's, but there will be a lot of other suggestions.

Don't worry about the price. If you like the bike, and it needs nothing, just get it. People are too hung up over what things are worth. Ride it and if you want to more on to something else in a year or two, then move on. Or you may just like it enough and keep it. It does have decent components.

Since it is basically new, you probably can't find a new bike with XTR in any tire size for that amount.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-10-20 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 09:00 AM
banjaboy

I pulled the trigger, got some good advice here, both sides, I took the advice of 70sSanO. I love, itsc mint, total upgrades everywhere. Overpriced or not, I love it.
Old 08-12-20, 10:40 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by banjaboy
I pulled the trigger, got some good advice here, both sides, I took the advice of 70sSanO. I love, itsc mint, total upgrades everywhere. Overpriced or not, I love it.
Congrats on the bike. When I built my Trek 970 people thought I shouldn’t have spent the money on a 26er. But I really like it. As the years have rolled along I’m riding less technical and have gearing benefits climbing with a 26 inch tire.

John

Edit Added: FWIW, I’m 68 and started riding mtb’s when I was 61.

Totally different world that requires crazy skills. Never got as good as I wanted, took a lot of spills, tore up my shoulder, but great fun.

Only regret was not starting when I was 30.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-12-20 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-16-20, 06:57 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by banjaboy
Hey thanks guys, great advice and I appreciate it. I went over to have a look yesterday and its truly mint. It was a spare trail bike the family had used for when friends came for a visit. We are up here in Whistler BC, the owner is a hard core downhiller, not with this bike. I dont want a 29er, I am old school and and an old dude. This conventional hardtail is just what I was looking for. Shock is coil spring, just my style, drive train is XTR except for rear derailleur, even XTR front hub. Frame is a work of art, I think Genesis were made in Britain when this was built before they moved to Taiwan. The only thing I dont like are the super wide bars, 780 I believe and green grips easy to cut the bars down. I know I know but remember Im an old bastard, like em a bit narrower. Shock is simple to service, nothing to really go wrong. The owner is a really hands on owner and kept it mint. He feels its never been anywhere other than walking trails. Honestly, it does look brand new. I gave him $200 to hold it until today and I can change my mind if I like. I purposely went without my rack on so I wouldnt make a hasty choice. I think I should pull the trigger, what do you think guys. BTW, what do you recommend for a flat pedal?
Pedal recommendation - Tenet Occult
Old 08-24-20, 07:41 AM
banjaboy

I spent the weekend goinbg over the bike, Im even more pleased with my purchase now I have pulled her apart and checked everything out, its in really good shape for spending its life here on the North shore of Vancouver, an hours drive from Whistler, it really was just used as a trail bike. The only thing I need is a new chain, service item. I replaced the brake pads on spec and bled them. Front is awesome, rear needs another going over. I'm 70 this year and seen all the improvements in tech over the years. I could have bought a ner 29er but this bike is me, it fits me, it fits my old fart personality.
Likes For banjaboy:
Old 08-24-20, 09:40 AM
70sSanO

That is great news. After years riding on the road, there is nothing like riding trails.

Have fun!

John