Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

So I got a flat today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 03:23 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I don't understand this. There's no need to perfect how to use plugs at home nor is there a hurdle to becoming "proficient."

Find puncture. Remove cap from plug tool. Push plug into tire. Remove tool. Inflate tire. Replace cap on plug tool. Keep on riding.
I agree with Steve B. that it's best to practice first. I had zero experience with tubeless tires until this year (I can change a tube blindfolded in less than a minute though), and messed up my first plug with regular old bacon strips pretty badly on a ride because I had no clue.
Old 09-12-20, 05:26 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Sorry I didn't think of that. Better idea. Do you have any suggestions for a pump that I can carry on my bike?
Frank.
It's not as if you get flats every ride. Get the CO2 inflator and if you have angst about waste, recycle the cartridges and do something else to reduce your impact.

I've had bad luck with the PDW SHiny Object.

Recommend Genuine Innovations Microflate Nano - small, simple (twist the cartridge into place, put it on the valve...loose cartridge slightly to inflate. If you don't use the full cartridge, just close it by re-tightening and save it for later).
Likes For billyymc:
Old 09-12-20, 05:28 AM
billyymc

You should go back and look at the photo that I shared - no bacon strips.
Dynaplug, although expensive, works WAY better than bacon strips in my experience.
Old 09-12-20, 08:14 AM
zen_

You should go back and look at the photo that I shared - no bacon strips.
I saw that you posted a Dynaplug, and I agree that it's a better / easier tool than bacon strips. However, not everyone is using one one, and it's still terrible advice to just assume something you've never used will work correctly the first time when you're counting on it, even if the process does seem relatively idiot-proof.
Old 09-12-20, 07:28 PM
zen_

This is a really weird response. Of course not everyone is using a Dynaplug. Nobody has suggested that they are.

I didn't offer terrible advice when I suggested using a simple solution like the Dynaplug - my advice is based on actual experience. Dynaplugs are different than the bacon strips that you struggle to use. Bacon strips are only slightly more "difficult" to use than Dynaplugs.

Again, what an odd exchange.
All the post you've made in this thread have had a condescending tone; like anyone who can't fix tubeless tire the first time is an idiot. You're also mischaracterizing what I said about bad advice. The bad advice is to just assume something will work without testing / learning first (my mistake), not using a Dynaplug tool instead of bacon strips, which I agree the former is much better.

Arguing on the internets...whee.
Old 09-13-20, 05:30 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by zen_
I saw that you posted a Dynaplug, and I agree that it's a better / easier tool than bacon strips. However, not everyone is using one one, and it's still terrible advice to just assume something you've never used will work correctly the first time when you're counting on it, even if the process does seem relatively idiot-proof.
Zen - speaking from experience, the Dynaplug us SUPER easy to use and if you read the instructions it really is idiot-proof. I used it for the first time recently on a ride across NYS - flatted on day 2 or 3, plugged in about 10 seconds iwth the Dynaplug, and finished the next couple days of riding with the plug in. My experience is that bacon strips are more finicky to get in right, don't stay in as well, etc. I've had bacon strips blow out.
Likes For billyymc:
Old 09-13-20, 06:30 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
3:40 - when you get home don't forget to let the co2 out of the tire and refill it with your floor pump. co2 has a tendency to permeate the rubber and when you get up the next morning you're going to have a flat tire.

Last edited by gios; 09-13-20 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 09:24 AM
zen_

Originally Posted by billyymc
Zen - speaking from experience, the Dynaplug us SUPER easy to use and if you read the instructions it really is idiot-proof. I used it for the first time recently on a ride across NYS - flatted on day 2 or 3, plugged in about 10 seconds iwth the Dynaplug, and finished the next couple days of riding with the plug in. My experience is that bacon strips are more finicky to get in right, don't stay in as well, etc. I've had bacon strips blow out.
That was the issue I had trying to fix a fairly large puncture with bacon strips ~40 miles into a 120 mile ride. The first strip popped out on when I got up to speed on a decent, then the second repair failed after ~60 miles because I didn't trim down the pair of strips that were sticking out of the tire, at which point I just went to a tube. I also didn't note where the puncture was on the first stop before the tire went down all the way, so I had to pump it back by hand (not wanting to use one of my two co2's just for that), so in total I spent probably 30 minutes roasting on the side of dirt / gravel roads on a day when the heat index was over 110 degrees. If I had a better tool, and had bothered to learn anything beforehand it probably would have been a 2-3 minute fix and go job, but live and learn.

...You'll have to work out those feelings of inadequacy on your own.

...It's not typical, but everyone has different levels of anxiety.
Not sure why you still feel the need for ad hominem.
Old 09-13-20, 10:25 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,610 Times in 3,469 Posts
I am just continuing to address your whines about something that is incredibly simple.

Something that continues to be incredibly simple, despite your funny claims to the contrary.
Hello my friend, please do not respond any further in this thread. Thanks for your help so far.
Old 09-13-20, 08:27 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Mods, please close this thread for me. I am no longer part of the discussion and do not wish to have any more contact with this. I am very sorry that this turned into something other than what I had originally asked for. Basically, is there a good method of remotely inflating my bike tube. Got that and the rest is not of my doing.
Thanks to all that addressed my question and I will find a suitable replacement for the inferior pump I am currently using.
Be safe all, Frank.