Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Low cost cycling shoes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Low cost cycling shoes

Old 11-10-20, 03:25 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Low cost cycling shoes

I've looked at some internet articles about alternatives to cycling shoes. My riding is almost all city with some easy trails and unpaved roads thrown in. There is also the occasional dog sprint. I have platform pedals on my cross country rig and I'm planning for them for my road bike. It has some dinky little things that came on it that I want to replace. I used to have cleats but I sold all my gear a decade ago because I got too fat and I looked silly in it. Have any of you city riders come up with any particular brand or type of shoe you like to ride in that isn't expensive but durable? I will someday be buying "real" cycling shoes but I can't do it right now. BTW I'm not fat anymore. My wife's and MIL's restrictive diets have caused me to shrink.
Old 11-10-20, 03:45 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I don't ride a roadie bike, but I do use typical BMX style platform pedals. My "cycling" shoes are simple hiker type sneakers. Similar to this. They bite onto to the pedals very effectively, even when wet.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-10-20, 03:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Adidas Sambas
Likes For caloso:
Old 11-10-20, 03:55 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Platform pedals with pins and whatever shoe you like that stays on your foot and have a reasonably flat (rubber) bottom (I.e. not inch-long knobs). If you don't have special needs for a specific type of shoe, I'd just buy whatever is comfortable to walk in with the above requirements.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-10-20 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 04:14 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
If you have a large platform pedal, you don't really need a cycling shoe in my experience. Wear whatever you want and save the money for later if you decide to go clipless.
Old 11-10-20, 04:15 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I like flat mtn bike shoe like 510s matched to flat pedals with pins.

I have these pedals and like them a lot with mnt bike shoes.
RaceFace Chester Mountain Bike Pedal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have soft trail running shoes (speed cross 4). The shoe is flexible and it has flexible knobs on the bottom. That's a horrible shoe for anything above 50% power.
Old 11-10-20, 04:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
The main difference is that bike shoes for flat pedals, vs. other non-bike shoes, is the semi rigid sole. A stiffer sole transfers more energy to the pedal rather than the heel collapsing as it does with non-bike shoes. But you won’t find cheap bike shoes.

When I started riding a mountain bike I used hiking shoes and so far they have been fine. I’m sure bike shoes would be better.

I use skate shoes for my flat pedal urban bike.

John
Old 11-10-20, 05:00 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I mostly commute. All my bikes have platform pedals and toe clips (you know, straps and mousetraps) I usually buy inexpensive water resistant sneakers with stiff soles, like skateboard shoes. In the winter I wear the same, but with LEDs in the sole for visibility for the night ride home.
Old 11-10-20, 10:17 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I use minimalist footwear and rubber-block pedals. If that's not for you, then classic Vans (gum-waffle sole, etc) work great with the DX pedal and its throng of imitators.
Old 11-10-20, 10:24 PM
Yelbom15

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Cycling shoes won’t be cheap but they are great investments. You can find cheap but expect the results of a cheap buy. In all honesty, a pair of decent platform pedals such as some Chesters are really all you need. It always surprises people how grippy they actually are when riding.
Old 11-11-20, 12:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
With platform pedals many folks swear by Five Ten Freeriders. They're good, grippy, stiff soles but walkable.

For the past year I've worn Adidas Daily 2.0, basically fancy sneakers, less expensive than Five Tens, grippy for my hybrids with platform pedals, and comfortable enough for long walks. I usually walk 3-5 miles two or three times a week, no problems. I'll buy these again if I can find 'em.

I use clipless on my road bikes but TBH, there isn't much difference in my times and speeds. Whenever I've bought a road bike I'll use platform pedals the first few rides and carry a few tools so I can easily make adjustments as I go. Once I'm satisfied with the setup I'll switch to clipless. But some of my fastest Strava segments were done on those bikes with platform pedals. The only reason I prefer clipless is for the much more rigid soles. I have high arches, skinny, bony feet and get arch spasms really badly without adequate support. Only reason I don't have that problem with my hybrids and platform pedals is I rarely hammer on those bikes -- those are for casual rides, solo and with friends. If I switched completely to platform pedals I'd need to get the stiffest soled shoes I could find for harder workout rides.