Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Derailleur - Shimano Cassette

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-20, 09:40 AM
Dave76

Bikes: Look KG 251, Genesis CDF 20, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone,
I'm having a lot of trouble with the gears on my old Look KG because they keep slipping no matter how much adjusting I try to do..The chain tension and cassette seem fine but I'm starting to wonder though if it has anything to do with compatibility. The derailleur is a Campagnolo 9 speed and the cassette sprocket a shimano cs 6500.
If this is the case, i'm in real trouble because the freehub on the wheels (90s Mavic Cosmos) isn't compatible with a Shimano cassette and I don't think that I can buy a Campagnolo freehub to replace it because they don't make it anymore.
H.E.L.P.
Old 11-13-20, 09:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
A missing data point is what shifters you're running. But any answer other then friction is wrong... Campy and Shimano are specifically not compatible, sort of close and kind of works but the amount of der cage movement per lever click won't match up with the cassette's cog to cog spacing after a shift or three.

My solution is to include a Shiftmate adaptor to translate the cable pull amount to what the miss matching parts need. Wheels use to make a spacer kit that would respace the cog to cog dimensions but I doubt they still offer it (and don't think it was made for the 9speed conversion anyway). Mitche use to make cassettes that had one brand's cog spacing but the other brand's splines. Andy
Old 11-13-20, 10:16 AM
Dave76

Bikes: Look KG 251, Genesis CDF 20, Trek FX 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A missing data point is what shifters you're running. But any answer other then friction is wrong... Campy and Shimano are specifically not compatible, sort of close and kind of works but the amount of der cage movement per lever click won't match up with the cassette's cog to cog spacing after a shift or three.

My solution is to include a Shiftmate adaptor to translate the cable pull amount to what the miss matching parts need. Wheels use to make a spacer kit that would respace the cog to cog dimensions but I doubt they still offer it (and don't think it was made for the 9speed conversion anyway). Mitche use to make cassettes that had one brand's cog spacing but the other brand's splines. Andy
Shifters are Campagnolo Chorus similar to these :

Old 11-13-20, 10:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
You have Chevy parts in a Ford car. No wonder there are problems. Andy
Old 11-13-20, 10:53 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
So you have 11 speed Campy shifters, a 9 speed Campy derailleur, and a Shimano 9 speed cassette? And you're wondering why it won't work?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-13-20, 10:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,212 Posts
9-speed Campy shifter with Campy derailer should work fine with Shimano cassette, no extra hardware needed. (Mine does!)

From this:
Originally Posted by Dave76
Hi everyone,
I'm having a lot of trouble with the gears on my old Look KG because they keep slipping no matter how much adjusting I try to do.
I'm gathering that you adjust it, start riding and everything is fine, and then the adjustment slips? Sounds like you need to replace the shifter cable. If you've broken some shifter cable strands, the cable will adjust itself a bit, overstress another strand, and pretty soon you'll be stuck in high gear trying to climb a hill. While you're at it, it'd be a good idea to replace the shifter housing along with the cable.
Old 11-13-20, 11:20 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
So you have 11 speed Campy shifters, a 9 speed Campy derailleur, and a Shimano 9 speed cassette? And you're wondering why it won't work?
I was about to mouth off about Shimano 11 and Campag 11 spacing being darn close, until I read that bit...but NVM