Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New to me Trek Navigator

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New to me Trek Navigator

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-20, 01:34 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
New to me Trek Navigator

just bought her and i'm already in love, runs nice and soft, any oppinions on this bike? components quality seems good, Bontrager rims, shimano cranks and sram rd.

Likes For Nahuel_B58:
Old 11-14-20, 03:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Nahuel_B58 You may get some rude criticism due to the comfort genre of bike. Purists will point out that the front shock fork and the sprung seat post soak up too much pedaling power and steal a great deal of overall speed, as well as the upright position that others will argue is not comfortable on long rides. Still others will mock the bike's lack of sophistication compared to the latest plastic-fantastic, electronic-shifting, hydro-disc-brake, uber-expensive wonder-bike.

I say, ignore them.

My wife has something similar, although it is a circa 2000 Columbia. She loves hers. It is not my cup of tea, however. I don't like the springy seatpost, or the front shock. I think large, pliant tires, inflated on the low side can do just as much.

However, I do like a seat with springs on my old-school hard-tail mountain bike, even though it has drop bars and I am in a roadbike position.

Having developed somewhat iconoclastic preferences in my own cycling life, I say, if something works for you...it works for you. If your set up brings you joy and gets you excited about cycling, then it is a good setup.

I think yours is a handsome example of the genre.

Ignore the haters, ride your ride, follow your bliss and go, Go, GO!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-14-20, 06:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
My wife has the step through model for about 5 years, put a lot of miles on it and loved the bike. Decided after a while she wanted something a little lighter and faster. Ride it and love it until you don't. I had a Trek 7300 with that same style of seat post......I hated that thing....it was replaced quickly.

Old 11-14-20, 06:25 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
My wife has the step through version and loves it.
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 11-14-20, 07:06 PM
Nahuel_B58
Uruguay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Nahuel_B58 You may get some rude criticism due to the comfort genre of bike. Purists will point out that the front shock fork and the sprung seat post soak up too much pedaling power and steal a great deal of overall speed, as well as the upright position that others will argue is not comfortable on long rides. Still others will mock the bike's lack of sophistication compared to the latest plastic-fantastic, electronic-shifting, hydro-disc-brake, uber-expensive wonder-bike.

I say, ignore them.

My wife has something similar, although it is a circa 2000 Columbia. She loves hers. It is not my cup of tea, however. I don't like the springy seatpost, or the front shock. I think large, pliant tires, inflated on the low side can do just as much.

However, I do like a seat with springs on my old-school hard-tail mountain bike, even though it has drop bars and I am in a roadbike position.

Having developed somewhat iconoclastic preferences in my own cycling life, I say, if something works for you...it works for you. If your set up brings you joy and gets you excited about cycling, then it is a good setup.

I think yours is a handsome example of the genre.

Ignore the haters, ride your ride, follow your bliss and go, Go, GO!

By reading this and the other replies all i can say is "Navigators RULES", haha, not the sportiest bike ever, but comfortable as hell. I daily ride a 1998 GT Talera (produced in 7005 aluminum for south america and Asia), and i love my GT but for commuting the Navigator is da bomb
Likes For Nahuel_B58: