Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Post crash hit by car. Riding again?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 02:15 PM
ADAM31

Bikes: 2013 felt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

In late December I was hit by a car while finishing up my ride, I have a broken collarbone and surprisingly my bike had very little damage and is rideable. My question is about getting back out riding again, mentally right now I am not sure if I will be ready, after a bad crash what where your feelings about getting out and riding again?
Old 01-13-21, 03:00 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve been hit by cars on three occasions, other cyclists three times, by a bus once and by a trailer once.
The cyclist impacts were quite easy to shake off, but the cars, and the bus hit were more difficult. Partly since they could have been life-ending, or life changing, partly b/c I couldn’t see what I might do from thereon to keep it from happening again. Apart from quitting riding.

So it came down to how much I valued the joy of riding vs the strength of the fear.
And basically I decided not to let fear rule my life. And got back to riding. Tensely and apprehensively at first, but more and more relaxed day by day. 2-3 weeks and Inwas back to what passes as normal for me.

Last edited by dabac; 01-13-21 at 03:17 PM.
Likes For dabac:
Old 01-13-21, 03:01 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I think its natural to be apprehensive about getting back out there but everyone is different. For me, the most important thing is trying to learn from the incident. What might have prevented you from getting hit? What strategies can you incorporate to reduce the risk of getting hit.

Then just get out and ride as much as your comfortable with. I think most people go through some time where they are anxious / nervous but it gradually fades.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-13-21, 03:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Being hit by a vehicle can make for a hard mental recovery. The worst imo, is when you're riding in a known "good" area & you fall victim a confrontation. It tends to skew where you may ride the next time.

I'd not let being hit by a vehicle hold you down from enjoying your freedom to ride a bicycle.
Old 01-13-21, 03:11 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Two winters ago, I was hit by a car that blew through a stop light.
Maybe you'd like to actually provide some input for the OP?
Old 01-13-21, 03:18 PM
dabac

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Maybe you'd like to actually provide some input for the OP?
done. Had a screen fumble.
Old 01-13-21, 03:41 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAM31
In late December I was hit by a car while finishing up my ride, I have a broken collarbone and surprisingly my bike had very little damage and is rideable. My question is about getting back out riding again, mentally right now I am not sure if I will be ready, after a bad crash what where your feelings about getting out and riding again?
Almost a year ago, I was run off the road into a serious face plant. The story and pictures are here. I was off the bike for 7 weeks of recovery. It never crossed my mind to stop riding. What did cross my mind is to equip my bike with cameras so that the next hit and run doesn't get away with it. Still working on that project.

- Ed
Likes For groth:
Old 01-13-21, 04:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I couldn’t wait to get back on the bike after my collar bone fracture. Two months after the accident I did the metric route of D2R2. A month after that I did Cycle Oregon. You just have to get back on the bike. Mind over matter.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-21, 04:51 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
what seems to work well is buying bicycle stuff & even another bicycle. If you manage to let those things marinade in your possession for any length of time before caving & hopping back on the bicycle, then you're doing it wrong.
Old 01-13-21, 07:16 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I had what should have been a relatively nothing crash with my 10 year old grandson. Unfortunately it resulted in my breaking both elbows. I had to have a health care aid baby sit me while my wife went back to work.

The mental trauma turned out to be much worse than the physical injuries. Ultimately, even after stints with two different psychologists, it took me at least three or four years for me to heal. I've had serious crashes before, had two different surgeries to screw my collarbone back into place, after which I couldn't wait to get back on the bike. I don't know what made this one different, but that's the fact of the situation.
Old 01-13-21, 09:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I got hit by a city bus one day and luckily did not sustain major damage...I have to say, I was a little gun shy at first, and it took a while to ride on that specific road again, but eventually I got back out. I had an accident with another rider when he hit is brakes on a group ride, that did not bother me as much, but I am much more selective about whom the riders are in group rides now.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-14-21, 03:10 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
A lot of interesting perspectives here. I had a crash last year that smashed my collar bone fairly comprehensively - no other vehicle involved, though. I was very keen to get back on the bike and thought for a long time that it hadn't affected me mentally. I've recently noticed, though, that I'm a lot more cautious on hills. I think a part of it is because the winter roads around here get covered in slush and mud so there is a very real danger of slipping, but I don't remember being so cautious before. I'm looking forward to seeing if my attitude changes when summer arrives and the danger of sliding out fades.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 01-14-21, 03:51 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I've been it 4 times twice by drunk drivers, once by an inattentive driver, and once by a delivery van I treated all as NBD and was generally shopping within and week.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-14-21, 03:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Interesting.

What I gather from all this is that most riders sustain some mental damage, and most get over it mostly.

Take the mental damage seriously, might be my advice. Don't let it stop you but don't ignore it. If you subconsciously tense up when cars pass or at certain times (I have developed an issue with downhill turns after a solo wreck) then you might cause yourself to wreck again, just out of that subconscious tension distracting you from riding properly at that time. (I know if I try to really push into a downhill turn my body wants to fight me ... so the harder I push the less of my brain is used for riding and more for internal conflict.)

Get back out there, and pay attention to how you feel .... but don't let it stop you. You might need to slow down or even pull over to let cars by for a while, or need to ride slowly in icy conditions or whatever triggers you ... but you can relearn to ride with ease and confidence over time.

if it really messes with you and you want to seek counseling, do it. Sometimes a psychologist might be able to help, sometimes not ... but if your mind is hurt, see a mind doctor, right?

Like @dabac I have a long history of crashes and collisions. As I get older and recovery takes longer, the mental scars are also deeper .... but nothing has taken away the joy of cycling. If nothing else works, ride MUPs or single-entry neighborhoods with only slow, local traffic just to keep the cranks spinning. Cycling is too good to give up.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-14-21, 05:50 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Great helpful advice from personal experiences related so read, absorb and learn from others.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Interesting.
What I gather from all this is that most riders sustain some mental damage, and most get over it mostly...............................Cycling is too good to give up.
Following my crashes and other LIFE'S EVENTS it's been a "Chit Happens sooo Git Over It"

Not "making fun of or diminishing" anybody's emotional response BUT SIMPLY SAY'N that as for me I refuse to let things bother me. Now approaching 6 years since I was told I have "aggressive Prostate Cancer" the one that only 5 in 100 guys get, the one not much research is done on since it's the more likely to die from then die with and my reaction was "OK, what do I do????" not the "OMG, I'm gonna die!!!!"

Remember Frank Sinatra's >>>

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 01-14-21, 07:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I think its natural to be apprehensive about getting back out there but everyone is different. For me, the most important thing is trying to learn from the incident. What might have prevented you from getting hit? What strategies can you incorporate to reduce the risk of getting hit.

Then just get out and ride as much as your comfortable with. I think most people go through some time where they are anxious / nervous but it gradually fades.
^^^This. There are few to no crashes that couldn't have been prevented or mitigated by the cyclist in some way. Analyzing the incident is where to start. Figure out what you can do to prevent it from happening again and take control of making it so. What were the specifics of your crash?
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-14-21, 08:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Lesson learned from riding bicycles: You take what the road gives you, and keep the wheels turning the best you can.

It should be obvious; let your body heal. When you can ride again, ride as much as you like. If you think you're riding too far, too fast, on roads with too much traffic -- you are! Back off and keep riding. Keep it fun!

FWIW, after my crash, the repaired bike came back from the shop before my dislocated shoulder was strong enough to ride very long. Ergo, I kept doing physical terrorist directed exercises while doing short rides. Also, after my MI, it took about a month before I was allowed back on the bike, and three more months after that until I could re-start two-way bicycle commuting.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-14-21, 09:21 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Lesson learned from riding bicycles: You take what the road gives you, and keep the wheels turning the best you can.

It should be obvious; let your body heal. When you can ride again, ride as much as you like. If you think you're riding too far, too fast, on roads with too much traffic -- you are! Back off and keep riding. Keep it fun!

FWIW, after my crash, the repaired bike came back from the shop before my dislocated shoulder was strong enough to ride very long. Ergo, I kept doing physical terrorist directed exercises while doing short rides. Also, after my MI, it took about a month before I was allowed back on the bike, and three more months after that until I could re-start two-way bicycle commuting.
Yikes!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 01-14-21, 09:52 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Why not. About 6 years ago I was in a slow speed accident, (car drivers fault) and gave no thot what so ever about not riding again.
Old 01-14-21, 10:02 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yikes!
Physical terrorist? It's what my mother (RPT herself) called physical therapists once she had to work with them.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 01-14-21, 10:28 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Physical terrorist? It's what my mother (RPT herself) called physical therapists once she had to work with them.
Now that you mention it I have heard that reference in the past.
Old 01-14-21, 11:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
On July 24th 2013 I crashed and broke my neck. Had C1 & C2 fused. Eight days in hospital and two 5-hr operations. Was back on the bike by that November.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 01-14-21, 12:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 1,833 Posts
Everyone is different. And everyone changes (see retrogrouch's story above.)

IMO, @pdlamb nailed it here:
When I really want to dive into a downhill bend and nail the apex and duck my shoulder and carve deep .... and I feel myself tense .... I brake harder. I miss the momentary thrill of nailing a quick corner, but I avoid breaking my collarbone again. I count that as a win.

If the day comes when I dive for the corner and feel it, I will do it ... until that day, I am just happy to be able to ride.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-14-21, 12:52 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Everyone is different. And everyone changes (see retrogrouch's story above.)

IMO, @pdlamb nailed it here:When I really want to dive into a downhill bend and nail the apex and duck my shoulder and carve deep .... and I feel myself tense .... I brake harder. I miss the momentary thrill of nailing a quick corner, but I avoid breaking my collarbone again. I count that as a win.

If the day comes when I dive for the corner and feel it, I will do it ... until that day, I am just happy to be able to ride.
We all react differently..what you call a win some will call a fail, it's a personality thing.

Some folks want to go fast others want to smell the roses, some want to wrench others want a functional tool different strokes for different folks. I've dumped bikes both pedal and motor and it makes me slower because it's something I can control, I can't control a car hitting me so the only thing I can do is go ride which I do control.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 01-14-21, 01:15 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 872 Posts

Originally Posted by groth
Almost a year ago, I was run off the road into a serious face plant. The story and pictures are here. I was off the bike for 7 weeks of recovery. It never crossed my mind to stop riding. What did cross my mind is to equip my bike with cameras so that the next hit and run doesn't get away with it. Still working on that project.

- Ed

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I had what should have been a relatively nothing crash with my 10 year old grandson. Unfortunately it resulted in my breaking both elbows. I had to have a health care aid baby sit me while my wife went back to work.

The mental trauma turned out to be much worse than the physical injuries. Ultimately, even after stints with two different psychologists, it took me at least three or four years for me to heal. I've had serious crashes before, had two different surgeries to screw my collarbone back into place, after which I couldn't wait to get back on the bike. I don't know what made this one different, but that's the fact of the situation.

i got run into a pot hole and broke my shoulder 2 weeks ago > agony+. i hope to be back on 2 wheels by 3/21. i know i will have some apprehension but life is about overcoming doubt ....................... don't think twice it's all right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.