Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why does the Mind forget Pain and Danger so quickly?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why does the Mind forget Pain and Danger so quickly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 09:44 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I avoid country music because of the pain it causes to my ears.
Considering where you live, you must be on your guard every time you leave your house.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-08-21, 01:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Was it Hassim Rahman who was crying in the ring against Lennox Lewis? That was a weird one, he just broke down.
That was Oliver McCall who broke down in the ring, in their rematch after McCall knocked out Lewis. McCall wasn't in any particular physical pain -- he was a tough summagun, one of Mike Tyson's fiercest sparring partners -- but he was mentally a mess.

That's why I'd rank Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis among the all time great heavyweights. While both suffered knockout losses, they seemed mentally indomitable. While many boxers never mentally recover from KO losses, Holyfield and Lewis had a knack for shrugging off defeats and coming back stronger.

Guys like Oliver McCall, Riddick Bowe and Mike Tyson had talent and were exciting fighters in their primes, but lacked that mental toughness and tended to self-destruct.
Old 02-08-21, 03:44 AM
Otpcoolkat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is an interesting thought i've had myself, i often think about how much i want to avoid getting injured, all the things that could go wrong, but then find myself riding like a maniac soon after...
I guess the mind gets lazy and we seek excitement. But like other people have pointed out, once you hit a certain level of pain you probably wont forget
Old 02-08-21, 07:48 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Why? Same reason(s) why we elect the same politicians and expect different results......
We forget about the "pain".....but I digress.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-08-21, 09:33 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
That was Oliver McCall who broke down in the ring, in their rematch after McCall knocked out Lewis. McCall wasn't in any particular physical pain -- he was a tough summagun, one of Mike Tyson's fiercest sparring partners -- but he was mentally a mess.

That's why I'd rank Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis among the all time great heavyweights. While both suffered knockout losses, they seemed mentally indomitable. While many boxers never mentally recover from KO losses, Holyfield and Lewis had a knack for shrugging off defeats and coming back stronger.

Guys like Oliver McCall, Riddick Bowe and Mike Tyson had talent and were exciting fighters in their primes, but lacked that mental toughness and tended to self-destruct.
I worked with a guy from England, a huge Lewis fan. I was not impressed with Lewis until later in his career. I always liked Holyfield. The fights with Bowe were incredible.
Old 02-08-21, 03:44 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
I think I wrote my original Post incorrectly. Climbing a tough Hill on a Bike is hard, but I've seen lots of more valiant behavior.
Its all relative to who you are..
A couple of weeks ago I saw an 80 plus year old man using a walker in the dead of Winter get out of his Car and go on his errands. That was truly brave.
I saw a Gentleman with an Oxygen tank on a Cart get on the Bus..
I see a 80 year old frail lady taking a walk everyday in my neighborhood .
Why do we all do such brave and painful things in Life?
Old 02-09-21, 12:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
...A couple of weeks ago I saw an 80 plus year old man using a walker in the dead of Winter get out of his Car and go on his errands. That was truly brave.
Because the alternative -- indolence and slowly fading away -- is worse. Between an autoimmune disorder and injuries I'm in pain all the time, every day. The wee hours and mornings are worst. Exercise is one of the few things I can do to relieve the pain that doesn't require a prescription. I had prescription pain meds for years and it wasn't better. It made me sluggish, lazy, depressed, fatter, unhealthier and unhappier. I still have those prescriptions but rarely use them. It's gotta be really bad before I'll take one because it'll make me dopey and lazy for days.

A good bike ride, run or walk is the best thing I've found for reducing chronic pain. As long as I'm able to stumble to the bathroom, I'm only a step away from dragging my carcass outside for a walk, or onto the indoor trainer for a spin. If I feel better after an easy warmup -- and I usually do -- then I'll continue with a harder workout. Nothing beats the buzz from brain chemicals generated by physical activity.
Old 02-09-21, 12:46 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by canklecat
Because the alternative -- indolence and slowly fading away -- is worse. Between an autoimmune disorder and injuries I'm in pain all the time, every day. The wee hours and mornings are worst. Exercise is one of the few things I can do to relieve the pain that doesn't require a prescription. I had prescription pain meds for years and it wasn't better. It made me sluggish, lazy, depressed, fatter, unhealthier and unhappier. I still have those prescriptions but rarely use them. It's gotta be really bad before I'll take one because it'll make me dopey and lazy for days.

A good bike ride, run or walk is the best thing I've found for reducing chronic pain. As long as I'm able to stumble to the bathroom, I'm only a step away from dragging my carcass outside for a walk, or onto the indoor trainer for a spin. If I feel better after an easy warmup -- and I usually do -- then I'll continue with a harder workout. Nothing beats the buzz from brain chemicals generated by physical activity.
I'm a fan from now on., because I'm riding for escape also.

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-09-21 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 06:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,528 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
I think I wrote my original Post incorrectly. Climbing a tough Hill on a Bike is hard, but I've seen lots of more valiant behavior.
Its all relative to who you are..
A couple of weeks ago I saw an 80 plus year old man using a walker in the dead of Winter get out of his Car and go on his errands. That was truly brave.
How do you know their ages?
Old 02-09-21, 08:45 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by indyfabz
How do you know their ages?
Good question. The man with the Walker was at the pharmacy asking about the Vaccine and gave his age which was actually 80+
As for the other two, I'm judging by appearance . 70 still looks young these days. 80 is much harder on us . They may actually have been older. Lady that takes a walk always has a Nurse ? Social worker? with her and is quite frail.Lives in the nursing home next to my house, see her returning from my daily bike ride everyday.
Always get a laugh about journalists who fabricate news stories.

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-09-21 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 10:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I believe, as pointed out here, that human memory is relatively short lived unless the trauma is deep. That encompasses the spectrum from personal memory to “history repeating itself”. There also is a risk - reward component. If the reward outweighs the risk, the perceived risk is minimized.

The effort of climbing with toe clips (an admitted risk in a slow speed tumble) has an element of risk. Vehicles zooming by add yet another. Getting to the crest (yippee, I did it!) and zooming down (the reward) minimizes the risks (dopamine). Aging and memory (booo hiss) might also play into repeating risky behavior.

At 66, I still like to single track mtn bike down steep dirt tracks through the woods. Risky? Very. Foolish? Yup, but I absolutely enjoy the thrill of it and the challenge involved. It beats me up, but I go back for more. But then I am attracted to activities involving moderate risk, like fast skiing, doing 45+ on my road bike, driving my sports car quickly (but not unreasonably so) out in the boonies when there are no people or cyclists. So it comes down to calculated risk/reward, and my short memory of a few minor mishaps, when boundaries are pushed, just like climbing your hill.

Old 02-09-21, 10:57 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

As a side note, I have to comment that the level of civility and respect afforded within this specific sub-forum is a refreshing change. Well done all.

Old 02-09-21, 12:36 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
To answer your question, YES, I have had this happen many times. Just about every time I take one of my mini tours, I find myself gasping for breath fighting what feels like a gargantuan hill, just barely avoiding a collision with a pickup truck, or silently praying that I get out of a bad neighborhood alive. Each time, I say to myself, "No more of this! From now on, I'm just going to stick to the bike paths close to home!" Ten minutes later, I am already planning my next trip.

When the fear of what can go wrong on a bike ride outweighs the joy of what always goes right, I may finally reconsider whether to ever put myself in that position again. For now, I don't know why, but I only remember the good stuff.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 02-09-21, 07:07 PM
patnoe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
A few years ago I took a left turn too quickly on a wet road to beat an oncoming car. Wheels flew right out from under me and I slammed down on my shoulder. I was able to ride home, but knew something was wrong when I couldn't lift my bike onto the rafter hook in my shed. Turned out to be a broken collarbone. I still am more cautious than I probably need to be cornering on wet roads.

However, I understand what you are saying. I don't seem to learn from the close calls where nothing bad happened.

Last edited by patnoe; 02-09-21 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 08:45 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by rsbob
As a side note, I have to comment that the level of civility and respect afforded within this specific sub-forum is a refreshing change. Well done all.
That’s why I like this forum a lot and try to keep it bubbling. The members are very polite and genteel.
Old 02-09-21, 10:06 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Two years ago I had a crash where I fractured three ribs, a concussion and some impressive road rash. Quite frankly I didn't dwell on the pain but for a year I kept seeing the cause of the crash. I had been riding in a utility lane and up ahead, I saw that it was under construction so with no traffic coming, I veered to move into the road's right lane. At the very last minute, I saw that the road was about three inches higher than the utility lane. Down I went at about 18 mph. My fault which I won't let happen again. I still occasionally 'see' my tire hitting the three inch wall.

I think that humans are just wired to suppress the memories of pain. We know we were injured but time lessens our fear of repeating the physical trauma. Otherwise, many/most people would never return to a dentist after one or two visits and many/most women wouldn't have a second child. Perhaps scientists would consider it a survival of the human species instinct?
Old 02-09-21, 10:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

In my 30s, used to do 150 and 200 mile one days events. I was usually suffering so badly on the climbs, or with cramps, that I vowed to never do them again. That is until about nine months later, when sign-ups opened and I rode them again, and again....

Old 02-12-21, 01:12 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Accidentally stepped off my scooter a few days after a fairly major foot surgery. I forgot about it I stood on it as normal Cursed for an hour before the double dose of pain med took a hold. Not as severe as some of the other cases posted here but hurt enough to remember.
Old 02-14-21, 03:04 PM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Hell, my mind forgets everything quickly.
Old 02-20-21, 03:41 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Without reading the entire thread, my quick answer is so that we don't become extinct. Can you imagine women clearly remembering the agony of childbirth? Thank God the stronger sex carries children for nine months and gives birth! I know I'm grateful.
Old 02-20-21, 03:42 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Hell, my mind forgets everything quickly.
I don't remember what I forget.
Old 02-22-21, 02:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have no idea of the answer to your question.

25 years ago (more or less) I crashed on my bike and seriously broke my collarbone. It took 2 surgeries to get it stabilized properly. My insurance company excluded that bone from coverage but I couldn't wait to get back on my bike. Naturally, I went over the bars mountain biking and broke it again. I had it X-rayed for free by a chiropractor and my orthopod confirmed it was broken but would probably heal okay by itself. He didn't charge me anything either. Incidentally my son bawled me out for being so irresponsible. Ever been bawled out by your kid when they were right? I can't remember how long I was off my bike this time, but it wasn't real long.

10 years ago (more or less) I crashed while cycling with my grandson and broke both elbows. The injuries themselves were less serious, but I needed to have a home healthcare aid baby sit me while my wife was at work. After the physical injuries healed It took years and two thearpists for me to overcome the psychological trauma.

My point is that having personally seen both sides of that "get back on the bike" story I wouldn't be too judgemental of how other people react after a crash and I wouldn't expect your reaction to necessarily be the same every time.

Check out my sig line, by the way.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 02-22-21 at 02:38 AM.
Likes For Retro Grouch:
Old 02-23-21, 09:21 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,027 Posts
Males are big babies when sick or in pain. I see that in Tom cats the female cat takes an injury in stride the Tom is whining and wants full time attention. I’m guilty of this as well
Old 02-25-21, 03:03 AM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Without reading the entire thread, my quick answer is so that we don't become extinct. Can you imagine women clearly remembering the agony of childbirth? Thank God the stronger sex carries children for nine months and gives birth! I know I'm grateful.
You pretty much caught the gist of what I meant. (I was the OP)
Old 02-25-21, 09:18 AM
big john

Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK

I think that humans are just wired to suppress the memories of pain. We know we were injured but time lessens our fear of repeating the physical trauma. Otherwise, many/most people would never return to a dentist after one or two visits and many/most women wouldn't have a second child.
As someone with an extensive dental history, I disagree. When we go in for a root canal, for example, we know it's going to be uncomfortable. We do it anyway because of the benefit to us.

Women don't "forget" the pain of childbirth. They are willing to endure it because they want another child. They willingly trade the pain for the benefit
When we get injured doing something we love, like bicycling, the memory of the pain and injury will hopefully teach us to be more careful.
I can't speak for anyone else but some of my injuries have left vivid images of pain in my brain. I smashed my big toe on a rock while motorcycling in the desert. I didn't forget that pain and I never will but you can bet I think about it when my feet get near rocks when I'm on my mtb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.