Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

$1500 Tax Credit for Bike Purchases

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

$1500 Tax Credit for Bike Purchases

Old 02-10-21, 12:25 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
About 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't even exist last March,
Sounds dubious to me, can you supply a citation?
Old 02-10-21, 12:31 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The ‘me too’ mentality is always so refreshing.
How about people that walk to work?
You thinking that they also deserve a tax credit?
Or how about people that carpool to work? Should all of the passengers get a tax credit?
Mass-transit tax credits?
Yes.
Bill should be amended to credit all greener and more heathy commuting like any biking, walking, running.
Should require proof of commuting records.
Many organizations already credit car/van poolers.
This would reward commuters needing new bikes or extra income for saving gas.
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-10-21, 12:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
I don't think it's any more ridiculous than a $7500 tax credit for a Porsche Taycan 4S.

I think it would be better if it was targeted specifically to e-Cargo bikes rather than pure recreational ones. If it kickstarts a few American manufactures what's wrong with that? Wouldn't be the first or last manufacturer helped by the tax structure. About 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't even exist last March, so if we are using the National credit card willy-nilly we might as well some of it to get more people on bikes and more cycling infra-structure out if it.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Sounds dubious to me, can you supply a citation?
Actually, if we're measuring the money supply as M1, more than 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't exist on March 1st of this year. If we're using the M2 measure, it is slightly less than 1 in 4.

If we split the difference, I'd say that Bill is about right.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 12:41 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Actually, if we're measuring the money supply as M1, more than 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't exist on March 1st of this year. If we're using the M2 measure, it is slightly less than 1 in 4.

Thanks, Koyote. I learned something today.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-10-21, 12:43 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Thanks, Koyote. I learned something today.
You're welcome.

In case you are interested, and never had the opportunity to take a course in macroeconomics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_creation
Old 02-10-21, 12:50 PM
skenry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I don't think it's any more ridiculous than a $7500 tax credit for a Porsche Taycan 4S.
......About 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't even exist last March, .....
Heck I just bought a new Alan frameset with Dogecoin money that didn't exist 3 weeks ago.
I'll agree with you on the Taycan though, if you are buying a Porsche it's almost a sin to buy one without a real engine, just for the sound.
Old 02-10-21, 12:55 PM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts

I think it would be better if it was targeted specifically to e-Cargo bikes rather than pure recreational ones. If it kickstarts a few American manufactures what's wrong with that? Wouldn't be the first or last manufacturer helped by the tax structure. About 1 out of every 3 dollars today didn't even exist last March, so if we are using the National credit card willy-nilly we might as well some of it to get more people on bikes and more cycling infra-structure out if it.
That started out at 10K for a new e car. its just kept dropping.

Motorcycles had a section in that rebate as well, I think it was around 2500 max. I have quit following the rebates so I dont know what current status is.
Old 02-10-21, 01:33 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
One of the sponsors, Jimmy Panetta, is my rep and I will definitely write him. I don't have a problem with incentivizing activities that improve the environment, etc. but I believe the benefit of this will be very minimal. If someone buys an e- mountain bike, who otherwise would not be riding in the mountains, that does the environment zero good. How many of these subsidized bikes will actually replace the use of a car? This looks more like it's intended to subsidize the ebike industry. Note: Specialized HQ is also represented by Mr. Panetta if I'm not mistaken.

The other thing I'll mention to Jimmy is how bout spending some money on bike infrastructure. Very few roads have decent shoulders to ride on around here and the ones that do are almost never swept so flats are a regular occurrence.

Much better ways to spend the money IMHO.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 02-10-21, 01:41 PM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
One of the sponsors, Jimmy Panetta, is my rep and I will definitely write him. I don't have a problem with incentivizing activities that improve the environment, etc. but I believe the benefit of this will be very minimal. If someone buys an e- mountain bike, who otherwise would not be riding in the mountains, that does the environment zero good. How many of these subsidized bikes will actually replace the use of a car? This looks more like it's intended to subsidize the ebike industry. Note: Specialized HQ is also represented by Mr. Panetta if I'm not mistaken.

The other thing I'll mention to Jimmy is how bout spending some money on bike infrastructure. Very few roads have decent shoulders to ride on around here and the ones that do are almost never swept so flats are a regular occurrence.

Much better ways to spend the money IMHO.
Yeah and if someone buys a e commuter bike and rides to work every day it does help.
Old 02-10-21, 01:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
My thing is that sure, in the US it is an increasing thing. If they said "e-bikes get the money or nobody gets it", I can't say not to give it a shot. I just don't believe the existing infrastructure is at the usage level like it is in Europe for bike commuting.

It's still 50/50 a toy.

But, fewer cars, whatever. Give it a shot. Maybe demand on the infrastructure will drive improvement there that benefits us all!
Old 02-10-21, 02:38 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If the battery is classed correctly...
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/15444...s-in-the-ocean
I remember that meme, there's was some pretty good ones.

Go Ahead, It's Legal
Old 02-10-21, 02:48 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts

Thanks! I actually like M0 because it is the amount of the most ‘liquid’ money sloshing around. But I know some economists prefer the M2 number as better representation. The Federal Reserve shows M0 as +148% increase between Jan 2020 and Dec 2020 and has increased faster than M2. This isn’t counting the massive stimulus package approved in January or the one currently being considered, so even more dollars are being created out of thin air! Anyway, let’s use some free money for bike things.
Old 02-10-21, 03:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If they said "e-bikes get the money or nobody gets it", I can't say not to give it a shot.
I mean, this isn't far from the mark - some are acting like this is a zero sum game, but it's far from that. A little bill giving people a tax credit for 30% of their e-bike purchase wouldn't make a ripple in the bucket of the national budget.
Old 02-10-21, 03:03 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Hmm, I wonder how the government would define an eligible e-bike?
Would I be able to purchase one of these cheap e-bike conversion kits, tell them I installed it on my $6,000 road bike, and get my $1500 tax credit? (Shame it didn't work well, and I had to 'remove' it. Oh well....)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 02-10-21, 03:06 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I mean, this isn't far from the mark - some are acting like this is a zero sum game, but it's far from that. A little bill giving people a tax credit for 30% of their e-bike purchase wouldn't make a ripple in the bucket of the national budget.
I do not see it as a 0 sum game. It's a get it when it's made available game. A lot of the hands outs seem to keep flowing down the same polluted river. There are many crap rivers that the hand out can be dumped into, yet doesn't happen. If pointless spending is going to happen, at least choose different purposes. So far it's a broken record of spending.
Old 02-10-21, 03:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Hmm, I wonder how the government would define an eligible e-bike?
Would I be able to purchase one of these cheap e-bike conversion kits, tell them I installed it on my $6,000 road bike, and get my $1500 tax credit? (Shame it didn't work well, and I had to 'remove' it. Oh well....)
looks like its coming from an overseas market, so yea, probably meets the criteria.
Old 02-10-21, 03:10 PM
Koyote

The proposals’s objective is to increase the use of bicycles in lieu of automobiles. Per dollar spent, a blanket subsidy for ebikes is probably not the best way to accomplish that goal.

Your rationalization is sort of like shrugging and then spending $2000 on an aero wheelset… When a $300 aero helmet would give the same advantage. (Not that I know whether that analogy is correct… But you get the idea.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 03:18 PM
WhyFi

The proposals’s objective is to increase the use of bicycles in lieu of automobiles. Per dollar spent, a blanket subsidy for ebikes is probably not the best way to accomplish that goal.

Your rationalization is sort of like shrugging and then spending $2000 on an aero wheelset… When a $300 aero helmet would give the same advantage. (Not that I know whether that analogy is correct… But you get the idea.)
You keep talking about how it's a bad idea and how you've got ten better ideas, but you have yet to offer an alternative. I really don't have any further interest in what you've got to say. *shrug*
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 03:26 PM
Koyote

You keep talking about how it's a bad idea and how you're got ten better ideas, but you have yet to offer an alternative. I really don't have any further interest in what you've got to say. *shrug*
You're not reading very carefully, then. You didn't see the posts about infrastructure? Okay, let me spell it out.

Since we're talking about federal money, let's go with grants to state and local governments for infrastructure, including (but not limited to) construction of bike lanes; creating better interfaces for cycle commuters who also use busses and trains (plenty of examples of this in some cities); more racks; more citi bikes (perhaps with free access for households that already qualify for other means-tested programs such as SNAP, or something else that can serve as a proxy for 'low-income'); tax incentives for employers to provide bike storage, showers, and health insurance breaks for employees who ride to work; free helmets and lights.

Is that enough?

I have no problem with using taxes and subsidies to incentivize people to behave in more socially-beneficial ways. But as an economist, I've spent a good chunk of my career studying the ways in which this can be done most effectively...And an across the board ebike incentive is likely NOT the most efficient way to get people out of their cars. That is pretty obvious to anyone who's actually read the data.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-10-21, 03:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Authored by Congressmen Jimmy Panetta (D-Calif.) and Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), the Electric Bicycle Incentive Kickstart for the Environment (E-BIKE) Act supports the use of e-bikes as a zero-carbon transportation mode. Compared to other transportation modes, the bill recommends e-bikes because they are more affordable and accessible.

“E-bikes are not just a fad for a select few; they are a legitimate and practical form of transportation that can help reduce our carbon emissions,” Panetta said. “My legislation will make it easier for more people from all socio-economic levels to own e-bikes and contribute to cutting our carbon output. By incentivizing the use of electric bicycles to replace car trips through a consumer tax credit, we cannot only encourage more Americans to transition to greener modes of transportation, but also help fight the climate crisis.”
Regular bikes are much closer to zero-carbon transportation. They are also more affordable and more accessible than ebikes. Given the reasons listed in the article, a basic pedal it yourself bike is cleaner, cheaper, and more accessible than an ebike.

If people want ebikes for recreation, cool. If people want ebikes for transportation, cool. But lets not kid ourselves here- tere is 0 chance those bikes have a lower carbon effect than a typical manual pedal bike. Whether you account for energy and emissions from manufacture to end of life or you only account for energy and emissions from retail purchase to end of life, an ebike will require more energy and create more emissions.

PeopleForBikes, which supports this bill, urged bicycle advocates to send a short letter to their representative, encouraging their support. PFB said studies show that across the U.S. there would be an 11% decrease in carbon emissions with a 15% increase in e-bike mode share.
Does this really say that emissions in the US would drop 11% if ebike use increased by 15%? I dont think it means to say that, but it sure looks like its saying that. That cant be right...right?
Old 02-10-21, 03:57 PM
WhyFi

You're not reading very carefully, then. You didn't see the posts about infrastructure? Okay, let me spell it out.

Since we're talking about federal money, let's go with grants to state and local governments for infrastructure, including (but not limited to) construction of bike lanes; creating better interfaces for cycle commuters who also use busses and trains (plenty of examples of this in some cities); more racks; more citi bikes (perhaps with free access for households that already qualify for other means-tested programs such as SNAP, or something else that can serve as a proxy for 'low-income'); tax incentives for employers to provide bike storage, showers, and health insurance breaks for employees who ride to work; free helmets and lights.

Is that enough?

I have no problem with using taxes and subsidies to incentivize people to behave in more socially-beneficial ways. But as an economist, I've spent a good chunk of my career studying the ways in which this can be done most effectively...And an across the board ebike incentive is likely NOT the most efficient way to get people out of their cars. That is pretty obvious to anyone who's actually read the data.
oh my, some substance. *golf clap*

So, would the ebike bill preclude these other measures? I don't see that. How do you know efficient an ebike incentive would be? You say that it's pretty obvious to anyone who's read the data, yet you offered an example of a sporty $13k ebike when the bill only applies to bicycles $8k and under - are you sure that you read the data? How much are they projecting in tax incentives through this and how much is that relative to the infrastructure build out on the scale that you're that you're talking about? I'm thinking it's chump change, but show me the data that you've read. You also voiced misgivings about who would take advantage of the incentive, yet you ignored the fact that there would be a mandatory IRS report after two years so that incentives could be adjusted for equity among tax brackets.

Do I think that the bill is perfect? Of course not - that's silly. But two steps forward and one step back is still a step ahead of where we are and I've seen enough non-action because something isn't perfect.
Old 02-10-21, 04:11 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Regular bikes are much closer to zero-carbon transportation. They are also more affordable and more accessible than ebikes.
They might be more financially accessible, but don't forget that about a third of the country is obese and others have various physical limitations, so regular bikes may not be more physically accessible.

But lets not kid ourselves here- tere is 0 chance those bikes have a lower carbon effect than a typical manual pedal bike. Whether you account for energy and emissions from manufacture to end of life or you only account for energy and emissions from retail purchase to end of life, an ebike will require more energy and create more emissions.
They're targeting cars. The energy required to move a person and 40 lbs of ebike is much less than moving a person and 4,000 lbs of SUV.

Does this really say that emissions in the US would drop 11% if ebike use increased by 15%? I dont think it means to say that, but it sure looks like its saying that. That cant be right...right?
No, they're not saying that. They're talking about an increase in mode share, the percentage of people that get to where they're going by that method of transportation. That's not an increase of 15% over the number of current ebike users; it's probably an order of magnitude increase or more over current ebike use.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-21, 04:22 PM
Koyote

oh my, some substance. *golf clap*

So, would the ebike bill preclude these other measures? I don't see that. How do you know efficient an ebike incentive would be? You say that it's pretty obvious to anyone who's read the data, yet you offered an example of a sporty $13k ebike when the bill only applies to bicycles $8k and under - are you sure that you read the data? How much are they projecting in tax incentives through this and how much is that relative to the infrastructure build out on the scale that you're that you're talking about? I'm thinking it's chump change, but show me the data that you've read. You also voiced misgivings about who would take advantage of the incentive, yet you ignored the fact that there would be a mandatory IRS report after two years so that incentives could be adjusted for equity among tax brackets.

Do I think that the bill is perfect? Of course not - that's silly. But two steps forward and one step back is still a step ahead of where we are and I've seen enough non-action because something isn't perfect.
You're either taking part in a conversation without reading all of the posts, or you are being deliberately obtuse.

See post #23, above. If you want me to cite some of the studies, I guess I can do that. But you could also try to find something on your own.

btw, you have not responded substantively to a single thing I've written. I'm not arguing that this policy would not get anyone out of a car; I'm arguing that the same money could be used differently to better achieve the policy's goal. And the data supports that: cost is not the most significant factor in preventing people from bike commuting, according to the data in multiple studies. Infrastructure is the biggie.
Old 02-10-21, 04:41 PM
WhyFi

You're either taking part in a conversation without reading all of the posts, or you are being deliberately obtuse.

See post #23, above. If you want me to cite some of the studies, I guess I can do that. But you could also try to find something on your own.

btw, you have not responded substantively to a single thing I've written. I'm not arguing that this policy would not get anyone out of a car; I'm arguing that the same money could be used differently to better achieve the policy's goal. And the data supports that: cost is not the most significant factor in preventing people from bike commuting, according to the data in multiple studies. Infrastructure is the biggie.
That's because you haven't posted much of substance to refute - don't blame me.

But yeah - cite the studies. I understand that infrastructure is a problem with pedal bikes, particularly with riders that can't maintain a decent speed relative to vehicular traffic (I've been there in spring after particularly fat winters), but I also know that the infrastructure is less problematic when you can hold a decent relative speed, so said studies had better factor the use ebikes on the current infrastructure. I've also already addressed the chicken/egg problem with cycling infrastructure pushback, and this was in two of the most bike-friendly metro areas in the US. Who's being obtuse and/or not reading?

And again, you're playing an either/or, zero sum game. It's not that. Last year, there were ~500,000 ebikes sold. What's a fair average price - $2k? 30% of that is $300MM. How much infrastructure does that get you? Not much, so are we really stealing from the starving mouth of infrastructure? I don't think so.

Look, this bill is supported by a pretty broad coalition and they have their studies, too -

A recent study found that if 15 percent of car trips were made by e-bike, carbon emissions would drop by 12 percent. 46% percent of e-bike commute trips replaced automobile commute trips according to a recent North American survey, and a more thorough review of European studies showed that e-bike trips replaced car trips 47% to 76% of the time.
By all means - refute away.

Last edited by WhyFi; 02-10-21 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-10-21, 04:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
They might be more financially accessible, but don't forget that about a third of the country is obese and others have various physical limitations, so regular bikes may not be more physically accessible.
Yes, I understand obesity exists in the US. I think its actually over 40% of adults are obese and something like over 70% are overweight. <--could misremember these.
I understand regular bikes may be more physically accessible to some, but to me, that doesnt mean regular bikes should be excluded. If the goal is to reduce vehicle use, then why limit the incentive to one specific type of bike? It especially doesnt make sense when the bike type that is included is going to be the least 'green'. I mean really, how does that make sense when the goal is lower emissions and smaller carbon footprint?
Include regular bikes AND ebikes. That would give greater access to those who cant financially swing an ebike even with the tax credit, but can afford a regular bike. Wouldnt greater access and less emissions be good?

My issue with this proposed bill isnt that ebikes are included, its that ebikes are all thats included. Heck, all the trendy forms of transportation could be included- scooter, bike, ebike, that skateboard ball thing, etc. They are all recreational and all potentially modes of transportation that reduce emissions compared to driving gas vehicles.

They're targeting cars. The energy required to move a person and 40 lbs of ebike is much less than moving a person and 4,000 lbs of SUV.
Yes, I understand they are targeting cars and compared to gas cars, an ebike is really low emission. Compared to a car, a regular bike is even lower emission. Therefore, why exclude it?

No, they're not saying that. They're talking about an increase in mode share, the percentage of people that get to where they're going by that method of transportation. That's not an increase of 15% over the number of current ebike users; it's probably an order of magnitude increase or more over current ebike use.
Right, they werent saying what they said. The article says a 15% increase in ebike mode share(so 15% increase over what it is) results in an 11% reduction in carbon emissions.
What they should have said is- If ebike use as a mode of transportation increases to 15% of all transportation, then there will be an 11% reduction in carbon emissions.

Clearly, I disliked the article. Which sucks because I like the general ideas of the article. Also, PFB sucks if they arent pushing for regular bikes to be included. I mean, its in their name- bikes. Support bikes as a mode of transportation and not just a certain section of bikes.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.