Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Delicate question

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Delicate question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 03:35 PM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Delicate question

I was talking to some cyclist friends who live in a SWern city that has long bike trails, no trees, not much terrain variation and no public bathrooms. Given how spread out the city is, there are long stretches without any semi-public spaces: no stores or restaurants. So this leads me to start wondering: when a person gets to be the age where one thing they're always keeping an eye on is where is the next bathroom (or bathroom equivalent ), what do you do on a long ride when you know the issue is going to come up and there's nof going to be anyplace to go ?

This is not my issue... yet . But I want to do some bicycle touring in the spring and I know it's going to be something I need to plan for. So what do people do? Heck, they must deal with it in the TDF, right? (Feel free to tell me what people you know do, rather than whatyou do , and I'll tell my " friends. ")
Old 02-15-21, 04:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Find a tree.
Old 02-15-21, 04:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Hmm. Assuming male, maybe this? https://www.google.com/search?q=texa...texas+catheter
Old 02-15-21, 04:21 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Maybe no trees, but there's usually some type of brush/bushes over almost all areas in the southwestern USA deserts to use as 'cover'. Look up some outdoor websites (or library books) and you'll be able to earn how to 'relieve yourself' and cover it up in these types of environments. Males and Females can both get good at it. I've got a long history of backpacking and mountain climbing, its become second nature to me,
Old 02-15-21, 04:26 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Elbeinlaw
Heck, they must deal with it in the TDF, right?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...-a-race-382175

Dan
Old 02-15-21, 06:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It's called the Green Room. Both sexes can use it with care. Sometimes it takes a scamper down an embankment.
Old 02-15-21, 07:04 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I just P on a tree or shrub. I keep wet wipes if the ya know has to go. I go off road behind some cover and just go. But I ride in a rural area so it is easy to do.
Old 02-15-21, 08:17 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Pro Tip: Have the wind at your back.
Old 02-15-21, 11:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I had a friend who would point to the sky while he was taking a leak,

& onlookers would look where he was pointing- seems to work...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-15-21, 11:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Look both ways, if nothings coming the side of the road or trail works for me. I also carry wet wipes like Hondo Gravel.
Old 02-15-21, 11:58 PM
Skullo 
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Where there’s a will there’s a way. I always find a place.Fence lines behind a shrub a shed. Just act like you know what your doing.
Old 02-16-21, 09:39 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,634 Times in 945 Posts
You have to pay attention to things as you ride. I look for likely places both for "bio" breaks and others. On the city streets learn which stores and parks have open restrooms and which are closed. On trails along desert areas there are plenty of bushes. Try to remember where the "good" ones are.

One thing to watch for in the Phx metro area is homeless camps. Several times over the years I've stopped, walked behind some bushes, getting ready to unzip.. And there's 4 or 5 people camped out. All looking at me, not smiling. Que sera. Go somewhere else!
Old 02-16-21, 09:48 AM
Elbeinlaw

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
No place to go!

What's so interesting about this is that I live in a place that has lots of terrain: forests, hills, streams ... so lots of places to "go" if you can't find a rest room. But my friends who started all of this off were talking about riding in Houston along the bike trails along the bayous. There, the trails mostly run alongside major busy streets. There are trees--but planted, stunted, solo trees that offer no privacy. No bushes. Not much in the way of walls or fences. Noplace to duck into for a quick moment of privacy. And we're talking miles and miles of open trail. That doesn't mean there aren't buildings, but much of the structure is warehouses and office buildings and so forth: places where there is no real "public" bathroom. It's really quite a problem.

I appreciate all of the responses. Sometimes it's good to know that there really are no options. Except, of course, for that condom-catheter that someone posted. [Shuddering in horror.] Or staying home.
Old 02-16-21, 09:56 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
When there is a question of propriety, look to the ancient cultures of Europe. When you gotta go, just go and don't mack such a big deal of it. This mind set works, not only for cyclists, but on boats also.
Old 02-16-21, 10:11 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Hold your phone up to your ear like you are on a call. At first glance, it looks like you're talking on your phone. Or you could hold the phone in front of you and look down at the screen. Then on second glance, it looks like your on a phone call while peeing. I have done it though. I don't know if I fooled anyone. I actually don't think anyone saw but I don't really know. "Oh look hun, is that guy peeing?" "It looks like he just talking on his phone." "But he is just standing there with his legs spread apart. He's not moving. I think he's peeing".

I always learn something on BikeForums. I never knew there was a Texas catheter. I could have used that when I was on a plane flight and we hit a rough patch that lasted a long time. I waited and waited and finally tried to make it to the bathroom only to be turned back by the flight crew.

Is there a cloaking app. for Apple phones? Android?
Old 02-16-21, 10:42 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Hold your phone up to your ear like you are on a call. At first glance, it looks like you're talking on your phone. Or you could hold the phone in front of you and look down at the screen. Then on second glance, it looks like your on a phone call while peeing. I have done it though. I don't know if I fooled anyone. I actually don't think anyone saw but I don't really know. "Oh look hun, is that guy peeing?" "It looks like he just talking on his phone." "But he is just standing there with his legs spread apart. He's not moving. I think he's peeing".

I always learn something on BikeForums. I never knew there was a Texas catheter. I could have used that when I was on a plane flight and we hit a rough patch that lasted a long time. I waited and waited and finally tried to make it to the bathroom only to be turned back by the flight crew.

Is there a cloaking app. for Apple phones? Android?
Geeze, , everybody knows if you pass a guy off to the side of a road and he doesn't have a dog with him, YOU KNOW unless he's flying a kite.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 02-16-21, 11:42 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Just make sure no kid or Karen sees you. Then, before you know it, you are a registered sex offender. This does happen in CA. No BS.
Old 02-16-21, 11:45 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Find a secluded spot and go.
Old 02-16-21, 11:47 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
If you're with a small group, everyone just take a 'water break' at the same time. One faces a wall or tree, the others stand in front, facing away, to block the view. Take turns.
Old 02-16-21, 11:47 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Hold your phone up to your ear like you are on a call. At first glance, it looks like you're talking on your phone.
No that's too obvious....you have to put both hands on your hips so you look like superman admiring the view....LOL
Old 02-16-21, 02:03 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
You guys are good. Next time I have to go in an area where I might be spotted, I will put my hands on my hips, then point at the sky. Misdirection, as the magician's call it.

It shouldn't be such a big deal, however, as CAT7RDR points out some people see this as "Urinating in public" and therefore you are a menace to society.
Old 02-16-21, 06:57 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
I've read that Tour de France riders sometimes pee in their chamois. I've also seen TDF riders hop off their bikes and go into a spectator's camper.

Old 02-16-21, 10:35 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Pull over to the side of the road. Right hand pedal at 9:00, right foot out of the way, ground sloping away, pee, clip in, ride.
It helps to have practically no traffic.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 02-16-21, 10:54 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I'm fortunate to ride on empty, well treed country roads.

Quite apparently someone needs to event an app that highlights places cyclists can pee in urban areas with insufficient foliage.
Old 02-17-21, 12:17 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
It can be problematic.

In areas where there's a sizeable homeless population, everyone including the housed population, the police, and businesses are all on heightened sensitivity about people needing to use bathrooms. Urinating in public, use of public restrooms, and access to business' restrooms is going to be challenged. Hell even if you want to spend a day downtown shopping, you've gotta buy a cup of coffee to use the coffee house's restroom, which leads to need for another restroom in 45 minutes. But I digress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.