Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A very informative discussion of CF as a bike material.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A very informative discussion of CF as a bike material.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 08:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I think anyone should be leery of a person on youtube, earning money from clicks, who passes himself off as an "expert" in a highly technical field without offering anything that we might find on a cv.
Ha! FWIW, looking at his views and subs, this guy isn't making any youtube money, but yes - point taken. I'd add that, personally, when the someone touts "the truth" or that they "tells it like it is," more often then not, they're saying what their audience wants to hear rather than actually being objective.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-16-21, 10:20 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Rather than try and wade through the theory and science which the design engineers have already done.
Just look at the end result.
A light carbon frame is around 700gms and a light aluminium frame is at least 200gms more.
Both will use a carbon fork.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 02-16-21, 10:59 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Carbon fiber fabric- somewhat stiffer than your t-shirt.

Old 02-16-21, 11:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
The best video I watched was the one on crank arm length, he did some very cool modeling.
Hey, that’s the one where he references Warren Buffet’s 5 hour live stream treatise on crank arm length from The Berkshire Crank Length Review of Q1 2020. [see vid from 5:36]
Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-16-21, 11:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Which has zip to do with anything. It's the tensile strength and elongation coefficient which are its valuable materials properties.
Old 02-17-21, 12:06 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Which has zip to do with anything. It's the tensile strength and elongation coefficient which are its valuable materials properties.

I didn't make the video, but just watched part of it. He seems to be saying that carbon fiber is stiffer than aluminum,

but it's not really as stiff as they say because they're measuring the CF composite but the resin doesn't add stiffness over the fibers themselves.

This is like saying that sand and gravel are stronger than concrete because the cement doesn't add anything.

My piece of CF is about .3mm, about the same thickness as three layers of aluminum foil. The foil is stiffer.

I think watching this video puts one in danger of being stupider at worst, and more ignorant at best.
Old 02-17-21, 04:47 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Watched video, immediately threw both of my carbon bikes in the trash. I can’t believe I thought they were nice bikes!
Old 02-17-21, 01:22 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I watched the full video from the OP finally, and it's not what I was expecting and certainly wasn't bagging on Carbon. I mean he rides carbon bikes anyway. But now I can tell who didn't watch the video by their crybaby comments lol.

Anyway I mentioned before that his other vids are pretty good. That one about crank length and how cool the modeling he used for that one super interesting.

I've shared his video on the Specialized SL7 release hype to all my club friends...that's a great one. My buddy in the UK didn't watch the full video on Titanium. Cause he's a *****, lol. I don't think it's as bad as he thinks.

It's weird how one guy says something you don't like about your preferred bike type or material and you throw a hissy fit?

Oh well, his other videos are interesting and I'll certainly watch those over the lame "paid promotion" GCN videos and that loud mouth Hambini guy.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 02-17-21, 01:38 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I am watching his vid on aero positioning and he mentioned that he is a mechanical engineer.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-17-21, 01:43 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I skimmed through most of it. The summary I got is builders need to know what they are doing to get the most out of carbon fiber. (That is true of any material btw).

he goes on to rant about generalities of carbon vs aluminum and how they are “rubbish”

I tend to think bike builders have learned a lot over the years in how to work various materials and do their best to get as much performance as they can if for no other reason than competition.

I look at bicycle frames like acoustic guitars. The builder who is skilled can use almost any material to make a great guitar/bike. The choice of material is complex and comes down to cost, performance, durability, consistency and sell ability.

I choose bikes based on which fit and feel the best within my price range. If the frame has a lifetime warranty and the builder a good reputation then I trust they know what they are doing. I don’t really care if it is CF or not.

having said that, in general I’ve found CF bikes to be more expensive and lighted than aluminum and my favorite bikes in my price range have been carbon fiber.
Old 02-17-21, 05:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I didn't make the video, but just watched part of it. He seems to be saying that carbon fiber is stiffer than aluminum,

but it's not really as stiff as they say because they're measuring the CF composite but the resin doesn't add stiffness over the fibers themselves.

This is like saying that sand and gravel are stronger than concrete because the cement doesn't add anything.

My piece of CF is about .3mm, about the same thickness as three layers of aluminum foil. The foil is stiffer.

I think watching this video puts one in danger of being stupider at worst, and more ignorant at best.
The problem is that you didn't go to engineering school and take materials science and statics. Think about the concepts of tension and compression while holding a toilet paper or paper towel tube in your hands. Try to bend it without collapsing it. The tube is extremely light yet not that easy to bend. Holding it in front of you and trying to bend the ends down, the top is in tension and the bottom is in compression. That's a frame tube, hard to bend, i.e. stiff. Materials which are hard to stretch and compress like carbon fiber/epoxy laminate make a very stiff frame tube. Plus you get to vary the stiffness by the thickness of the laminate. Plus it's not carbon cloth like in the photo. It's "tows" of unidirectional fibers running lengthwise, but at some slight angle to the long dimension of the tube. Thus the tube is also stiff rotationally. Plus you can vary the rotational stiffness vs. the longitudinal stiffness just by changing the angle of the carbon tows. Carbon fiber structural design is not a simple thing, not at all. With metal, the builder is limited to what is made commercially, diameter, wall thickness, and alloy. Not so with carbon/epoxy. Pretty easy to see why carbon is such a popular material.
Old 02-17-21, 07:49 PM
woodcraft

The problem is that you didn't go to engineering school and take materials science and statics. Think about the concepts of tension and compression while holding a toilet paper or paper towel tube in your hands. Try to bend it without collapsing it. The tube is extremely light yet not that easy to bend. Holding it in front of you and trying to bend the ends down, the top is in tension and the bottom is in compression. That's a frame tube, hard to bend, i.e. stiff. Materials which are hard to stretch and compress like carbon fiber/epoxy laminate make a very stiff frame tube. Plus you get to vary the stiffness by the thickness of the laminate. Plus it's not carbon cloth like in the photo. It's "tows" of unidirectional fibers running lengthwise, but at some slight angle to the long dimension of the tube. Thus the tube is also stiff rotationally. Plus you can vary the rotational stiffness vs. the longitudinal stiffness just by changing the angle of the carbon tows. Carbon fiber structural design is not a simple thing, not at all. With metal, the builder is limited to what is made commercially, diameter, wall thickness, and alloy. Not so with carbon/epoxy. Pretty easy to see why carbon is such a popular material.

Thanks for the tutorial. I do have a working understanding of this stuff in spite of not having gone to engineering school.

The guy in the video seemed to be talking about the stiffness of CF independent of it being made into a structural composite, so I was commenting on that.

Personally, I think carbon fiber bike frames are good, but my current bike count is 1 CF, 4 aluminum, for whatever that's worth.
Old 02-17-21, 07:59 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
This video seems to be mostly about the host being annoyed that some people are really enamored with carbon fiber as a material, and some now use it in applications where it's cosmetic, not structural. He argues that carbon fiber isn't as stiff as everyone thinks, yet concludes that a carbon frame that's designed to be as stiff as an aluminum frame can be much lighter. Yeah, that's kind of the point dude.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-21, 08:00 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Thanks for the tutorial. I do have a working understanding of this stuff in spite of not having gone to engineering school.

The guy in the video seemed to be talking about the stiffness of CF independent of it being made into a structural composite, so I was commenting on that.

Personally, I think carbon fiber bike frames are good, but my current bike count is 1 CF, 4 aluminum, for whatever that's worth.
I have one carbon, 2 alu, 1 steel. I'm glad I did no harm. I worry I come on too strong sometimes.
Old 02-18-21, 12:38 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Why would anyone go looking for informative on some random dude's youtube?
Old 02-18-21, 02:27 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Why would anyone go looking for informative on some random dude's youtube?
Not much different than coming here.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-18-21, 04:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Not much different than coming here.
Too perfect.
Old 02-18-21, 07:16 AM
bruce19

I have one carbon, 2 alu, 1 steel. I'm glad I did no harm. I worry I come on too strong sometimes.
What makes the different grades of CF different? And, does it get down to the point where a "lower" level of CF frame is less desirable than say a good AL frame? From a materials science perspective.
Old 02-18-21, 07:37 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts

Anisotropy
Old 02-18-21, 10:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by bruce19
What makes the different grades of CF different? And, does it get down to the point where a "lower" level of CF frame is less desirable than say a good AL frame? From a materials science perspective.
Different grades of CF have different yield strengths and other properties. Better costs more. Stronger CF of course means you can use less of it, and more importantly, less resin, thus a part of the same strength and stiffness is lighter, not much, but lighter. There may be other variables with the resin and layup of which I'm unaware. I'm not an expert on carbon frames! I'm just familiar with the technology and have used it a little.
Old 02-22-21, 02:07 PM
facorsig

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a degree in materials engineering and a Professional Engineering license in metallurgical engineering. For what it's worth, my road and gravel bikes are titanium frames. There is confusion between stiffness (modulus) and yield or tensile strength. At the end of the day, you ride what you prefer, not something to impress other people.

Fred
Old 02-22-21, 02:09 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by facorsig
I have a degree in materials engineering and a Professional Engineering license in metallurgical engineering. For what it's worth, my road and gravel bikes are titanium frames. There is confusion between stiffness (modulus) and yield or tensile strength. At the end of the day, you ride what you prefer, not something to impress other people.

Fred
Wow, 6 years between registering and your first post - kudos!
Old 02-22-21, 02:10 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by facorsig

Fred
Just curious....what is it about TI that you like?
Old 02-22-21, 02:16 PM
edmguirk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to this forum so this is a bit of a hot take but I thought this was all thrashed out back when people were comparing steel, aluminum, and titanium.

I commented on the original video a while ago because he seemed to only be interested in stiffness as if that is the only important thing. Stiffness is irrelevant unless you include strength and weight. A carpet fiber epoxy matrix might not be as stiff as the original fibers but geometry can makeup whatever loss occurred. I can make a bike of any stiffness with any material as long as you don't mind how safe or heavy it is. Sure, CF has directional strength different from steel/alu/tit but all the same arguments still apply. It's always some kind of compromise.

Whatever happened to beryllium?

And, after all, everybody also compromises on style and cost so which one is really best?
Old 02-22-21, 02:17 PM
facorsig

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My road rides are endurance rides of 100km and 200km mostly over chip seal roads. I like the vibration attenuation associated with titanium. I do have an aluminum frame bike which I use on my trainer. I have limited riding experience on carbon frame bikes, mostly rentals.

Fred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.