Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Forty acres and a ... mountain bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 07:08 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts

A piece at Bankrate.com about areas trying to lure remote-working new residents had this:
Northwestern Arkansas: Two counties offer $10,000 and a mountain bike to entice out-of-state workers to the corner of the state that includes Fayetteville and Bentonville.

I hear there is great mountain-biking in that Walmart-ish part of Arkansas. Makes sense, I guess.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/p...ure-residents/
Old 02-19-21, 07:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Appears they are looking for "top remote working talent." I guess they won't be offering me any incentives. It's a pretty interesting area, close to some nice fishing as well.
Old 02-19-21, 07:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Newton IA, Natchez MS, Belize, and elsewhere- all are offering versions of a 'work remotely and come live here to get a cash incentive' program.

The specifics vary, but if a town/county can get someone to buy a house there and that area doesnt have to provide a job, its a win for the area since these programs are typically not in places with an abundance of high paying jobs. The town/region gets taxes property taxes, sales taxes, and income taxes, but doesnt need to actually have businesses near them.

NWA is a surprising place to have this program since its been growing like crazy for the last 15+ years. Compare that to Natchez or Newton where major companies have left in the last 15 years and population has either stalled or contracted.
Old 02-19-21, 08:11 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I’m liking the idea.
Old 02-19-21, 09:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
I hear there is great mountain-biking in that Walmart-ish part of Arkansas. Makes sense, I guess.
ACA released new MTB route maps in Arkansas relatively recently. One is a loop out of Bentonville.

Arkansas High Country Route | Adventure Cycling Association
Old 02-19-21, 09:18 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Newton IA, Natchez MS, Belize, and elsewhere- all are offering versions of a 'work remotely and come live here to get a cash incentive' program.

The specifics vary, but if a town/county can get someone to buy a house there and that area doesnt have to provide a job, its a win for the area since these programs are typically not in places with an abundance of high paying jobs. The town/region gets taxes property taxes, sales taxes, and income taxes, but doesnt need to actually have businesses near them.

NWA is a surprising place to have this program since its been growing like crazy for the last 15+ years. Compare that to Natchez or Newton where major companies have left in the last 15 years and population has either stalled or contracted.
Yeah Newton's kinda meh but NWA is frigging awesome.
Old 02-19-21, 09:23 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts
A recent Outspoken Cyclist podcast had Diane Jenks interviewing a couple people paid to promote the Bentonville area as a cycling destination.
Old 02-19-21, 09:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Yeah Newton's kinda meh but NWA is frigging awesome.
Newton is meh, but it has a fantastic smaller gravel race that benefits a local foodbank each October. 55mi and 105 mi categories with a lot of fun punchy climb and both categories route through the Buffalo preserve at the Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge.
...thats my yearly single trip to Newton.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-19-21, 10:25 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
A piece at Bankrate.com about areas trying to lure remote-working new residents had this:
Northwestern Arkansas: Two counties offer $10,000 and a mountain bike to entice out-of-state workers to the corner of the state that includes Fayetteville and Bentonville.

https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/p...ure-residents/
great road cycling up there as well. Hilly AF, but beautiful country.
Old 02-21-21, 08:28 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've never been there, but I have numerous friends who go there frequently for mountain biking. From what I've heard, I would move there in a heartbeat if I could convince my employer to allow me to work remotely indefinitely. And I could convince my wife. And both of my kids were in college.

1. It's apparently a beautiful area. I love being outside, hiking, cycling etc.

2. Seems much less crowded and much less congested than where I live now outside of Chicago. I grew up in a relatively rural area and it's what I prefer.

3. Relatively low cost of living (again, compared to the Chicago area). Although real estate is surprisingly pricey for Arkansas, taxes are very low. If you're unaware, check out suburban Chicago property taxes some time. Absolutely highway robbery, God I hate this state.

4. Terrific mountain biking and road cycling with some of the best cycling infrastructure anywhere in the world. I believe the Waltons have spent over $70MM on cycling infrastructure in the area.

5. Pretty good local airport service for a small city. Centrally located in the country and you can get pretty much anywhere you need to go with one connection.
Old 02-21-21, 08:34 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
what's the catch?
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 02-21-21, 09:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)