Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thank you for riding Campagnolo

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Thank you for riding Campagnolo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 11:12 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
A lot to unpack here.
2. Most of the hubs sold these days use end caps. Your RSX hub is 20, 30 years old. You can remove spacers from Campagnolo hubs from the same era. Oh, and a Shimano R7000 hub? No spacers to remove there.
3. 8 speed hubs, no matter the brand, have always been 130mm. That includes Shimano.
The whole point is that Shimano made plenty of 126mm HG cassette hubs (1055, 6400, A410, A550 and probably a few more I am forgetting) back in that non-end-cap era, which allows you to run modern 7-10 speed cassettes on your classic bike. Furthermore you can easily change these hubs back and forth between their 126mm and 130mm configurations. Back in that era Campy only had freewheel hubs. When they started using cassette hubs, they started with the dead-end 8v freehub. PLUS Shimano made and still makes 7 speed freewheels, which can be shifted by their 7 speed brifters (ST-A410, ST 3300 and Tourney which is still being produced today). So that gives you a decent array of options for your 126mm drop-out classic bike with freewheel hubs.

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
5. Run a Shimano crank instead.
That's how it starts. You start using Shimano cranks and before you know it you're a Shimano fanboy
Old 02-22-21, 04:31 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Look, all this talk of Campy and Shimano is just so much hot air. Velosteel is where its at. Anything else and you just end up yet another guy in a cycling suit...

Lightness...
Old 02-22-21, 07:45 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Campagnolo make the wheels for Ferrari, Porsche and probably Alfa
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 02-22-21, 10:29 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Campagnolo can’t be compared to Ferrari.

Even Ferrari is coming out with a 4x4 SUV, but OR is still a segment of the market that Campagnolo continues to ignore... 25 years later.

John
Old 02-22-21, 10:54 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Why should everyone ride the same components. I say let everyone ride what they want. Let there be high end and low end makers. It’s what the individual wants to spend and enjoy riding with. Everyone’s taste is different. Campy can not make components for every type of biking They are by nature a small company. They just came out with Ekar gravel set. They made Off road but they got out of the market.
Old 02-22-21, 12:44 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Why are Campagnolo drivetrains not more common? price? from the few bikes I have worked on with Campy, that stuff shifts like a dream.
Old 02-22-21, 12:44 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
Campagnolo make the wheels for Ferrari, Porsche and probably Alfa
Some of the best looking wheels ever:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dino+Wheel+Scan+Hi-Tech.jpg (298.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 02-22-21, 01:06 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

246 GTS Dino with a few tasteful upgrades. Not mine, but I wish it was!
https://www.coachtrimmers.com/blog/2...46-gts-dino-v8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_6515.jpg (1.55 MB, 126 views)
Old 02-22-21, 05:44 PM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
Why are Campagnolo drivetrains not more common? price? from the few bikes I have worked on with Campy, that stuff shifts like a dream.
They don’t do OEM for the mass bike brands. Like Shimano. The average person just doesn’t search out other brands. When they walk in a bike shop and all the bike have Shimano gear on them. Bike shops just want to sell bikes. They don’t want to go thru the whole why this and that talk. As they can lose a sale that way.
Old 02-22-21, 07:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,137 Posts
Ed,
I doubt it is about the "why this and that talk" I suspect it is way above the pay grade of the bike shop and why bikes get the inexpensive parts deal on the bike as it comes from the manufacturer/seller. I am a golf equipment professional and I get that talk every time a customer comes in to see me. In my case it is about a custom fit for the golf player, and in the bike world it is the same about the best fit for the rider. The parts going on a bike make it work better for some riders and that is part of the fit. JMHO, Smiles, MH
Old 02-23-21, 12:10 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Price and availability, before the early 00's Campag (at least in the UK) was just as cheap, if not cheaper than Shimano, and you could get it anywhere, then for whatever reason, they chose not to compete at the low-mid end of the market (at the same time, they went big into wheels with their Fulcrum brand!) and prices went up, availability became poor, and Shimano just got better, and more importantly, a lot cheaper.

Lack of compatibility with Shimano/SRAM till 11 speed didn't help, and the re-buildability isn't an issue, if you have a part that needs major service/spares, chances are it will be cheaper to replace with new, or the spares aren't available; (and yes I have had recent Campag part I have had to scrap as no spares were available)
Old 02-23-21, 03:25 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
They are by nature a small company
The cycle side of Campag is just a small part of the business, Campagnolo started to manufacture magnesium parts such as wheels for sports cars like Alfa, Ferrari, Lambo and Maserati and built chassis for NASA satellites.

Everyone percives Shimano as cheap because the market is flooded with OE product and wouldn't pay full RRP for it, looking at Ultegra STI's vs Chorus Ergo's there is $5 diference, and the Chorus has carbon blades on the 11spd (as Shimano is still 11spd) 12spd Chorus is cheaper than Ultegra
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 02-23-21, 07:39 AM
stevenc

Bikes: Eddy Merckx MX Leader "Vive le Roy", Flanders Pista, Poggio Shimano 600 10-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My 2c: Their distribution network is bad. Spares are hard to get, even in Europe. Supply can be erratic. As great as their stuff is, as a dealer you get fed up when you cannot properly serve your customers.
Old 02-23-21, 09:33 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm going to make one more comment then stay out of this soon to be heated thread. Equating Campy to Ferrari is quite unfair to Campy. Both are expensive but that's all they have in common. Campy is at least reliable and durable. Ferraris are neither.
But they did have that wonderful fued with Carroll Shelby back in the 60’s !
Old 02-23-21, 09:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So after over 3,300 posts to this forum you had no intention or expectation that this would turn into the usual Brand X is great the rest are not? Using Ferrari as a comparison really!
Brand most likely to burst into flames.
Old 02-23-21, 09:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
But they did have that wonderful fued with Carroll Shelby back in the 60’s !
The feud was with FoMoCo.
Old 02-23-21, 03:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26388 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
The cycle side of Campag is just a small part of the business, Campagnolo started to manufacture magnesium parts such as wheels for sports cars like Alfa, Ferrari, Lambo and Maserati and built chassis for NASA satellites.

Everyone percives Shimano as cheap because the market is flooded with OE product and wouldn't pay full RRP for it, looking at Ultegra STI's vs Chorus Ergo's there is $5 diference, and the Chorus has carbon blades on the 11spd (as Shimano is still 11spd) 12spd Chorus is cheaper than Ultegra

...because, y'know, more speeds is better. All argument should stop at this point.
Old 02-23-21, 06:41 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 -- My old Pinarello Montello is full Campy C-Record group replete with Delta brakes. Campy really is a joy to work with. They just go on by themselves (over-haul easily), adjust easily, last a long time and seem to get better with age a character. My Pinarello is going on 34 years young!
Old 02-24-21, 08:08 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Recently did a Chorus 12sp build with hydraulics. The brake setup involved trimming pre-filled hoses and it was easy and drama free, unlike Shimano trim, fill, and bleed. I had to do no filling and no bleeding; very nice. The quality was impressive and the feel of the shifters made my GRX800s feel like toys.

I did have a hard time locating long lengths of "The Maximum Smoothness" cable housing though; and the price, wow!
Old 02-24-21, 04:59 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Brand most likely to burst into flames.
I reckon that goes to Pontiac