Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago C40 back from paint

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-09-21, 05:38 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts

Just got my C40 back today after being painted, reassembled and tuned up. The original paint was in dire condition so I made the decision to go with a completely different paint scheme.
Rick Stefani at D and D Cycles in San Lorenzo, CA did the paint work and it looks great. I wanted to get something close to blue chromovelato so he did candy blue which is probably as good as it gets.

Upon reassembly the guys at Tour Of Nevada City found a badly worn chain, cassette and small chain ring gear so that was replaced along with all cabling.

I was hoping to take it for a spin but we are currently having a rare and welcome rain storm so I’ll just stare at it in the living room🚴‍♀️
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-09-21, 05:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Looks great. Do you have a "before" picture that you can post?

Old 03-09-21, 05:58 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
I love that the water bottles match. Were they painted too or is that just coincidence?
Old 03-09-21, 06:14 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Originally Posted by fujidon
I love that the water bottles match. Were they painted too or is that just coincidence?
Just a lucky coincidence
Old 03-09-21, 06:17 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Looks great. Do you have a "before" picture that you can post?
Here is the before pick which really doesn’t show the original paint close up. It had dozens upon dozens of chips like someone was riding behind a gravel truck. The drive side front fork had exposed carbon in a large section where the clear coat was gone.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-09-21, 10:00 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
I know what you mean about the weather here, I got caught in a heavy hailstorm up in Christian Valley today while riding my Merckx Corsa. I should have stayed home, NOT.

I have often wondered if restoring a Colnago fancy paint job would practical or even possible, without sending it back to Italy.

I think that yours came out looking better than the original paint.

I'm getting ready to restore mine, so all I have at this time is the "before" shot, obviously with much work ahead:

Last edited by dddd; 03-09-21 at 10:06 PM.
Likes For dddd: