Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Said farewell to the Cannondale SM600 today

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-03-21, 09:14 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts

The bike inventory is one less now. It's a good feeling actually. I owned it for three years and never even rode it once. It's a true offroad bike who's home is on uneven ground, certainly not the type of riding I do. But, the 6'8" fellow who has it now will do some offroad riding with his kids. A nice happy scene for a sunny Easter Weekend.

Old 04-04-21, 10:37 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
If you have not ridden it in 3 years you probably never will. It's better to concentrate on riders.

How well did the 6'8" fellow fit on it? It looks like that seatpost is maxed out already.
Old 04-04-21, 10:52 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
From what I recall Manitoba was razor flat as far as the eye could see. The only bumps on the ground were the Volkswagen sized blackflies taking a breather in the grass.
Old 04-04-21, 11:46 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Narhay Manitoba has flat areas but Saskatchewan is 100x worse.
In January '82 I drove in one of those wretched M151 jeeps at 45mph from Winnipeg to Dundurn, Saskatchewan then next day to Wainwright, Alberta. I didn't have a drivers licence so my "job" was to keep the driver awake through mile after mile of... nothing. I'd assume that torture of having water slowly drip on your forehead would be similar.
Old 04-04-21, 11:48 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Narhay Manitoba has flat areas but Saskatchewan is 100x worse.
In January '82 I drove in one of those wretched M151 jeeps at 45mph from Winnipeg to Dundurn, Saskatchewan then next day to Wainwright, Alberta. I didn't have a drivers licence so my "job" was to keep the driver awake through mile after mile of... nothing. I'd assume that torture of having water slowly drip on your forehead would be similar.
I should've said, driver never spoke except one word answers.
Old 04-04-21, 12:14 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
I think the new owner will enjoy it. I just rode my '85 SM600 last week, though this picture was taken before then. You can tell I ride the hardcore trails that the Girl Scouts decorate.

Last edited by Bianchi84; 04-04-21 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 04:54 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
The taller fellow fit no problem. He said he was going to put a riser bar on there and I recommended a cro-mo for offroading. The original was alu alloy. He was not a heavy type of 6'8". The frame had an equivalent TT of 24". I decided it was time to let it go. I bought it originally because of it's size, condition and because I thought it would be good for carrying a milkcrate on the back (like I always do) to get the load lower down as a benefit of the 24" rear wheel, but those chainstays are just too short for that plan. This means, the thing just sat there all that time. I really would prefer to find something younger. It's nice to be able to arrive at a meeting on a spiffy modern looking bike with panniers. These old mountain bikes, while durable, are just old looking. It's kind of like wearing a really high end top quality suit from the 1930's. People can tell it is good quality, but it is still out of place. I'll keep riding old MTN's nonetheless for the most part. And, if you lose an old mountain bike (like the Elkhorn) it is less of a loss than losing something more modern and expensive. I've still got that old Maruishi frame as a standby.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 04-04-21 at 04:59 PM.
Likes For prairiepedaler: