Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2021 Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 06:13 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
Now we only need someone to instigate the "Walking is a part of the spirit of suffering like they did back the the day" to make my zen complete.

Likes For iab:
Old 03-20-21, 06:21 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Now that I built up my '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme with a triple and a 36x30 low gear, I may take off the fenders and bring that instead.
Gitane_side_view by gaucho777, on Flickr
No! Don't take those fenders off! Leave them on!

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 03-21-21, 07:31 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
I've ridden the Coastal / "Via de los Scalatores" route three times, loved it every time. Once on 28's and twice on 32's. If you can fit 32's, I think they're the way to go.

There's no shame in walking up Kiler or Cypress Mountain. They're steep, and the gravel means that you can't really stand up and muscle over them.

I'm pretty sure I ran 1-to-1 gearing (28x28 and 34x34) in 2018 and 2019 and I was glad to have it. With those gears, I didn't put a foot down. You can make your own call on whether gearing that low is "not heroic".
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 03-22-21, 01:10 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
[QUOTE=The few SLO natives I have known certainly do not consider themselves to be part of SoCal.[/QUOTE]

As a San Luis Obispo resident, I can confirm we most definitely do NOT consider ourselves to be part of SoCal! Although, the Governor's office thought so when they set up the COVID regions.
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 03-22-21, 01:32 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
As a San Luis Obispo resident, I can confirm we most definitely do NOT consider ourselves to be part of SoCal! Although, the Governor's office thought so when they set up the COVID regions.
I agree . As a resident of Ventura County since about 1960 , I often used to think of our area not even close to Los Angeles and every time I went there(L.A.) I was so happy I lived in V.C. I like L.A. for several reasons but just would not want to live there. Now Ventura is a lot like L.A. in many ways and it doesn't seem that removed. When I visit S.L.O. , Morro Bay , and places North it is still refreshing but it IS changing and so is the charm we all love about Central California. Lets face it , the climate and environment attract many people and that always has an effect on an area. For now , Cambria still has that charm and San Luis Obispo is still pretty cool. It is obvious by the amount of traffic on the 101 and the congestion around Pismo Beach that change is in the air.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-22-21, 06:28 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Thanks, but my legs talk a much better game than I actually play. Especially going uphill. You do not want me along on a group ride that has a lot of climbing because you will spend more time waiting for at the top of each hill than you will spend actually riding up the hill.

My mantra is "I may be slow, but I make up for it by stopping a lot."
At my age and not being a great climber, I certainly feel the same way and would probably keep you company. My friend Jon Spangler from Alameda and CR had vowed to ride up Cypress Mountain non-stop and had gearing to do it but had to stop to take a call from his wife! None too pleased having to stop and trying to get going again but I admired his attitude and persistence! I caught up to him at the rest stop and we semi-bombed down the descent, but did have to stop for a crash about 1/4 down. The switchbacks and gravel make for a lot of care and caution coming down the West Cypress descent but knowing it’s the last 13 miles and mostly downhill made it a sweet way to end the medium, medium long and long rides.

Originally Posted by iab
Now we only need someone to instigate the "Walking is a part of the spirit of suffering like they did back the the day" to make my zen complete.

From L’Eroica homepage:

L’Eroica started in 1997 because of one man, Giancarlo Brocci, who admired the values of past cycling so much that he wanted to reconnect others to the heritage that inspired much Italian history, literature, culture and music.

L’Eroica was also launched as a foundation for the protection and preservation of the last gravel roads in Tuscany. These romantic concepts led to the idea of L’Eroica, an event that initially involved the participation of 92 “hunters of feelings and emotions”, as the creator Giancarlo Brocci defines them.
“We want people to rediscover the beauty of fatigue and the thrill of conquest”

Giancarlo Brocci, Creator of L'Eroica
Today we are still trying to return to the authentic roots of this extraordinary sport with a great soul. We want people to rediscover the beauty of fatigue and the thrill of conquest: the heroic cycling of Bartali and Coppi, the sacrifice that seeks out our physical boundaries where thirst, hunger, and exhaustion are felt in all their might. Our type of cycling breeds respect and creates bonds between loyal opponents. It is cycling in a healthy way, and its participants are inspiring and beautiful to watch.
Old 03-22-21, 06:34 PM
mech986 

My 72 Italvega Super Speciale, Columbus SP, drilled chainrings and brakes, Compass Rene Herse 700x35 Extralights Bon Jon Pass, 52-42-28 front triple to 14-30 Suntour Perfect freewheel with Campangnolo Nuovo Record RD with Rally type long cage.

Last edited by mech986; 03-22-21 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-23-21, 04:02 PM
mech986 

Originally Posted by mech986
vaccination rates have ramped up in California. Per Los Angeles Times vaccine tracker, as of today, March 15:Updated March 15 7:33 p.m. Pacific
11,785,750 doses administered
+367,243 yesterday
21% of Californians have received a dose
https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...-distribution/

interestingly, the # of vaccinations given daily was under 200,000 a few days ago so as supply, appointments and demand now ramp up, we have a fighting chance to get more and more Californians vaccinated faster. With today’s expansion of who can be vaccinated and appointments in some areas already taken or stretching into late April, people and public health seem to be hitting a stride together in getting this massive job done.
Well, 8 days later, California continues to make progress. As of today, March 23, 2021 here's the latest data:"Tracking Coronavirus vaccinations in California By Los Angeles Times Staff Updated March 23 1:26 p.m. Pacific
15,152,845 doses administered
+333,090 today, +299,180 yesterday
26% of Californians have received a dose."
"Over the last seven days, an average of 359,378 doses per day have been administered."
"According to federal data, which can vary slightly, 10,279,020 of the roughly 40 million who live in California have received at least one dose, or 26% of the total. Of those, 4,971,315, or 12.6%, are fully vaccinated."

A monumental public health task for any state, and with California's largest population of 39-40M, a real challenge. As a retired family physician, I would look for continued increases in fully vaccinated as the 3-5 week 2nd shot visits occur and vaccine supplies (hopefully) remain robust and available to all who are eligible and get them. With the recent addition of health-vulnerable 16-64 y/o tier 1C, obviously a lot more people to be served. My handicapped 30 y/o daughter now has her first shot appt for early April. My wife and I will be getting our second shot on Tuesday, hoping for very little side effects.

If California can keep vaccination rates above 350-400K or higher/day, they will continue to make good forward progress and safety and conditions on larger gatherings could improve during mid and late summer. Cambria has a large older population component so is quite vulnerable. Let's hope Cambria and surrounding SLO county keeps making progress too. This would bode well for restriction lifting for travel, hotel/accommodations, gatherings, indoor dining, etc. and Eroica California's potential to be held, at least the ride. It will be up to the organizers regarding all other events, festival and aspects of the event. That and organizing all the volunteers to put it together, the rest stops, food prep/serving, and mechanical and SAG wagon support. IMO, I would include a couple of masks in my riding supply kits for group rest stops and general mingling, if not for use while riding (helps in cold weather). I do prefer the 3M branded masks when I can get them.

Weather should be warmer around mid September. - Cambria would be in mid 60's to low 50's, Paso Robles area will be hotter, late morning through afternoon would be 70's to high 80's so much more challenging afternoon riding.
Old 03-23-21, 05:03 PM
Kabuki12

^^^ I hope all goes well Bartley. I had pretty sore muscles for about a day and a half after my second Pfizer shot. It was nothing a little recliner time couldn’t cure! I drank water , not sure if it helps but that with ibuprofen did the trick and helped me relax. A day or so later I was back on my bike .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-23-21, 06:16 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
A little over a week ago, Kaiser contacted and me told to make an appointment. This past Sunday morning, I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine. (I was hoping for the one-and-done J&J, but I'll take what I can get.) The second shot is scheduled for Sunday morning April 11. I plan to join a good friend (already fully vaccinated) on April 25 for my first non-solo ride since February 2020.

I'm hoping Kaiser or the State o' California will see fit to tell my sweetie to get her shots soon.

Oh, and this means that, as things currently stand, I plan to be in Cambria for Eroica weekend whether or not there is an actual Eroica event then. The situation could change for the worsem of course, but I am now officially optimistic that at least one old fart (me) will be there with at least one old bike (mine) enjoying the Central Coast. Be there or be square!
Old 03-23-21, 07:35 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
My Registration rolls over to 2021 so Im there , I already have a hotel room booked in San Simeon and a few of the San Diego and L.A. guys are getting ready to roll out there as well.

I did the Unofficial L'Eroica Ride last year without issue, the weather was great in September (not a cloud in the sky) and it was even a little on the hot side. Looking forward to seeing Climo's Vintage Bicycle/Coffee Shop up and running that we visited on last years ride.

Heres a picture of Last years ride , Im here with the San Diego Riders.

Last edited by Manny66; 03-29-21 at 01:57 PM.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 04-02-21, 01:26 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Cypress Mountain Road. Front side is rutted and steep, made for a granny ring, but the back side will keep your heart pumping...all the way down.
Santa Rosa. A long slog going up, especially in the fog, but the most delightful way to disappear off the trail and into a stream ridden ravine on the back side.
They haunt my dreams...
Yep. My 2021 Eroica bike has really good brakes. Ok, I am cheating here and installed some "vintage" (7700?) Dura-Ace dual pivots.
Old 04-02-21, 07:35 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Yep. My 2021 Eroica bike has really good brakes. Ok, I am cheating here and installed some "vintage" (7700?) Dura-Ace dual pivots.
CHEATER! I hope that is for the Saturday Nova ride. 😉 I’ve got dual pivots on my Saturday bike and hope that I remember to descend in the drops on Sunday.
Old 04-02-21, 08:39 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by Classtime
CHEATER! I hope that is for the Saturday Nova ride. 😉 I’ve got dual pivots on my Saturday bike and hope that I remember to descend in the drops on Sunday.
Last Eroica, my Modolo Speedy calipers with vintage pads were virtually worthless. I actually could not come to a complete stop on that last descent. Good times!
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 04-02-21, 09:50 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
I've used Shimano BR-1050's with current pads. Those are the single-pivot 1987 - 1988 105-series calipers. They work great. Bending the rules a touch, but I'm not compromising on vintage brake pads or a vintage helmet, thank you.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 04-03-21, 06:47 AM
Kabuki12

Officially past the two week mark after second shot , good to go. My wife has her second on Sunday . We are in , even if the event isn’t a go , I think there are enough of us to make some kind of happening. For the last week we have been in jack hammer hell as we are having a new deck poured today so that is now behind us.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-05-21, 05:28 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Like Kabuki12 I am ready to go.

Last edited by mgopack42; 04-05-21 at 06:33 PM.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 04-06-21, 09:35 AM
Loyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Morning folks!

I understand that bikes older than 1987 can be ridden, however, I see/read as though Italian bikes are the norm. Does anyone ride anything other than Colnagos, Bianchis etc.?

Also, is this event held only on Sundays?
Old 04-06-21, 10:12 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
Loyd I have seen all sorts of bikes, Schwinn(USA), Zeus (Spain), Cilo or Mondia (Swiss), Concorde or Gazelle (Netherlands or Belgium), All sorts of Japanese bikes, as well as Italian bikes. Also, the bike does not have to be pre 1988, it only needs to conform to the spirit of a bike of that era, and not have clipless pedals or indexed shifting, and usually steel frame tubes. you can even buy brand new bikes, that are made specifically to meet the criteria. Don't worry about hoity toity Italian bike riders (never met anyone like that there) looking down their noses at you if you ride a Panasonic, we are all kindred souls in it for the fun, adventure, and camaraderie.
pick up (or pick) a bike and sign up and have fun... see you there! The classic ride is on Sundays traditionally, and the Novo (new) ride is on Saturday, where you can ride anything you like, as long as it has drop bars.

Last edited by mgopack42; 04-06-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 10:36 AM
Loyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Loyd I have seen all sorts of bikes, Schwinn(USA), Zeus (Spain), Cilo or Mondia (Swiss), Concorde or Gazelle (Netherlands or Belgium), All sorts of Japanese bikes, as well as Italian bikes. Also, the bike does not have to be pre 1988, it only needs to conform to the spirit of a bike of that era, and not have clipless pedals or indexed shifting, and usually steel frame tubes. you can even buy brand new bikes, that are made specifically to meet the criteria. Don't worry about hoity toity Italian bike riders (never met anyone like that there) looking down their noses at you if you ride a Panasonic, we are all kindred souls in it for the fun, adventure, and camaraderie.
pick up (or pick) a bike and sign up and have fun... see you there! The classic ride is on Sundays traditionally, and the Novo (new) ride is on Saturday, where you can ride anything you like, as long as it has drop bars.
Thank you! I’ll definitely sign up if I happen to have a free Sunday for the event here in Cali.
Old 04-06-21, 12:06 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Another PDX rider with 2020 reg rolling over to 2021. Spent February in SLO, cruised to Cambria, Cayucos, Paso, and more. People were out, stores and restaurants open. Many parks were closed or restricted, sadly Hearst Castle was closed to visitors. Many wineries were open, however!

That aside, currently planning to attend, reserved at Cambria Pines, convenient location in the hills above the town. Think the event was to be hosted in the center of town versus that dirt - hay field of the 2019 edition, could be a big improvement in venue. I hear Aaron of Lynn's farm and restaurant is a prime organizer, he really cares about the event, is well connected in Cambria, so that is promising to me.

Gearing: 30-28 got me up Cypress without walking BUT with great suffering. Lived in SLO on and off over many years. Typically no rain April - October, so I'd expect very dry, dusty and rutted hardpack! September is also when the onshore winds begin, meaning less or no fog, hotter weather. But also spectacular ocean views - coastal route, yes!

Planning to ride an Alex Singer, but maybe the Eisentraut with 28c max tires.
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 04-06-21, 02:13 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Originally Posted by Loyd
Morning folks!

I understand that bikes older than 1987 can be ridden, however, I see/read as though Italian bikes are the norm. Does anyone ride anything other than Colnagos, Bianchis etc.?

This is what I tell all the Eroica first time riders that happen to ask about what bike they should run............ "The fashion show is over at the base of the first hill!"
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 04-06-21, 03:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Morning folks!
Here's the one I rode last 2 Eroica Californias:

1973 Raleigh Grand Sport, only original parts are stem and handlebar, all parts are period correct, however
Old 04-06-21, 07:14 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Morning folks!

I rode a 1988/89 Bottecchia in my first Eroica, and while it might have technically "violated" the '87 rule, as others have stated, it's more about the spirit of the era. I also built new wheels from NOS Mavic rims (laced to Campy record hubs) - not completely vintage. Participants ride all sorts of bikes. Any steel framed bike with low profile wheels, friction shifters, external brake housing, and toe clip pedals, will generally look the part.

The vintage ride is on Sunday, but the Nouvo Eroica for modern gravel bikes is typically the Saturday before.
Old 04-06-21, 10:53 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 321 Posts
Sucks! I'm heading back in for yet another surgery on the 13th to remove a new type of skin cancer caused by the radiation treatments used to rid me of the other. It's expected to keep me off the bike for at least a week and has the potential to keep me off for possibly a month. This is getting old really fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.