Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-16-21, 10:01 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic

Do not stick your finger into someones rear wheel.

Thankfully everyone stayed upright, the only damage was to my right ring finger.

Also thankfully I am Canadian. They referred me to a fancy hand plastic surgeon who will pin it next week and it won't cost me anything.
You have been watching Breaking Away way too many times. Use a frame pump not your finger.

Heal up fast!
Old 04-16-21, 10:22 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
It doesn't hurt much most of the time. I didn't take any pain medicine at all until this morning and that was just some ibuprofen.

I plan on riding tomorrow.

I didn't even know you rode bikes.
Old 04-16-21, 11:49 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I didn't even know you rode bikes.
I should ride less.

All of my bone fracture history is from group cycling. All but two hospital visits from the last 20 years are due to group cycling.
Old 04-16-21, 08:47 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Man, even a shrink could read that xray and tell it's knackered.
Old 04-17-21, 09:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
14 days since my J&J shot so I am going on my first group ride in more than a year. I hope I don’t crash anyone out. I think my fitness is decent, but my bike handling skills are crap so I am going to sit at the back as much as possible. If I get dropped because of the accordion or because I overestimated my fitness, so be it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-17-21, 06:18 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Am I playing with fire if I have maybe 1.5mm or so of space between the 4iiii and my chainstay. Hand flexing it with 1 hand doesn't result in contact. I doubt there's more lateral force than that when pedaling.

And this is also one of dem fancy carbon bikes, so isn't the BB supposed to be wicked stiff and all?

Yes, and yes. What do you want?

I'd totally use it eventually. But I like my bikes, and going to a shop 250 miles away isn't all that useful.
Oh, I'm solid but I can see someone going for a deal like that with like 5-10% off.

I get a discount through the team shop here so it's likely a wash for me or more likely a better deal from the shop here.
Old 04-18-21, 06:06 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Yeah, actually I realized I can order prodigious amounts of roof rack things for the Gladiator and my trailer. I can buy a cargo box just to get in my attic until that time we really need more storage room for a long trip.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-18-21, 07:44 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Yeah, actually I realized I can order prodigious amounts of roof rack things for the Gladiator and my trailer. I can buy a cargo box just to get in my attic until that time we really need more storage room for a long trip.
Hah, there's an idea!

I want to convert the back of the rav to a setup I can crash in for a night here and there. Getting a roof rack would be clutch. Hoping it doesn't tank the mileage but it is what it is. I think I should be seeing 24-25ish mpg on the highway without anything on top. The acura got more like 24-25 in mixed driving but also took at least midgrade so it's basically a wash from the gas cost!
Old 04-19-21, 03:49 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Road noise is probably a more immediate issue. We had a rough rack on our Mini but took it off because it made so much noise. If you have the ability to take it on and off, it might be the best way to go unless you're using it on a regular basis to get your bike around.
Old 04-19-21, 07:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Roof racks totally tank mileage and cause a ton of noise.

I had one on my little BMW. Without the rack, I could get 25-26 mpg on the highway. With the rack, 22-23. Rack and bike, 20-21. And I had to keep the sunroof visor closed to help insulate against the wind noise of the rack. But if the bike was on there, I kept the visor open so I wouldn't forget about the bike and drive into something.

RTC, if you don't already have a tow hitch, install one and add a rack. If I remember correctly, the Rav4 door opens to the side, so you probably need a swing away rack, which is a bit more expensive, but much more convenient in the long run.
Old 04-19-21, 07:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

I had one on my little BMW. Without the rack, I could get 25-26 mpg on the highway. With the rack, 22-23. Rack and bike, 20-21. And I had to keep the sunroof visor closed to help insulate against the wind noise of the rack. But if the bike was on there, I kept the visor open so I wouldn't forget about the bike and drive into something.

RTC, if you don't already have a tow hitch, install one and add a rack. If I remember correctly, the Rav4 door opens to the side, so you probably need a swing away rack, which is a bit more expensive, but much more convenient in the long run.
Also, if you have to add the hitch mount yourself, think carefully about whether you want to do it yourself or not before buying anything. I bought mine, got the car up on the ramps and then got a little nervous about dropping the muffler (turned out not to be a big deal). Called a couple local shops, but no one was willing to take on the liability of installing a hitch mount they hadn't sold (understandable), so I put it back up on the ramps, got back underneath and did it myself, but wasn't 100% comfortable until after we got back from the 1000 mile trip we took a week later with no damage.
Old 04-19-21, 08:26 AM
topflightpro

I've now installed 5 trailer hitches. The easiest was on my pick up truck - just bolted on. The hardest was probably on my BMW - had to remove the rear bumper. I had to drop the muffler to install the hitch on my wife's Prius, which was challenging but doable.

One trick I've leaned from doing this is that it is often helpful to scour car forums and YouTube for advice and tutorials to make it easier. For example, on my current Honda Passport, the OEM hitch comes with a new lower bumper fascia. The official instructions call for removing the entire rear fascia. But on one of the Passport forums, someone showed how they were able to remove the lower fascia with a stubby 10mm ratcheting box wrench. I bought the $8 wrench and was able to replace the lower bumper fascia and install the hitch in about 25 min.
Old 04-19-21, 09:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
FWIW, bikes on a roof rack expose the bikes and the car to damage when one drives into the garage or other low hanging objects such as tree limbs with the bikes on the top. It has happened to a lot of my cycling friends and sometimes the roof of the car is damaged which may not be an easy fix along with the bike.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 04-19-21, 09:39 AM
topflightpro

I also once had a bird fly into my bike while on the roof. It made a very loud thud, but fortunately did not damage my bike. In the rearview mirror, I saw the bird hit the ground, but I could not tell if it was stunned or killed.
Old 04-19-21, 10:34 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Once on a memorial day on my way to somerville a deer darted across the median and I ran into it. Never even tapped the brakes. It flew up and over my subaru. Had my bike been on the roof it would have come off for sure.

Once I was at my friend's apartment and we were going mountain biking. I banged a quick K turn, utilizing the garden apartment garage, and slammed my bike into the door frame. That was when i was in my early to mid 20s though.

Seems to me one would be more likely to get rear ended by youngster texting.

Best bet is bikes in the vehicle. I've not had a bike outside my own vehicle in probably 15 years. I had a rack on my subaru but it was for other people's bikes.

Last edited by gsteinb; 04-19-21 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-19-21, 11:10 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The whole reason I got a Jeep was so I could put my bike inside. The idea of having $4000 of equipment attached to the outside of my vehicle is a bit worrysome. When I did, it never felt safe, I always thought someone was going to try to steal it, even at stoplights.
Old 04-19-21, 11:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by furiousferret
The whole reason I got a Jeep was so I could put my bike inside. The idea of having $4000 of equipment attached to the outside of my vehicle is a bit worrysome. When I did, it never felt safe, I always thought someone was going to try to steal it, even at stoplights.

They have therapy and medication for that.
Old 04-19-21, 12:02 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by topflightpro

Yeah good call.

I actually just realized that I have crossbars on the RAV that came with the car. Might take them off for now unless I'm actually using them. Probably doesn't make a huge difference but could make a bit of a change. The rails come with the car and I might end up deleting them down the line to be honest. Should actually help with the fuel economy a not insignificant amount as well.

I have the tow package so a hitch was part of the equation for sure. Can carry a fair amount of stuff there as well.

And yeah, side opening door. I was on the fence about the car for that exact reason, re not being able to open the back if I have something on a hitch, but I think there may be ways around it esp if I get a hitch that is slightly lower down.

For now the bike's going to live in the car when I'm taking it places. That's honestly one of the reasons I got this car to begin with.
Old 04-19-21, 07:40 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
In the car is definitely the way to go if you've got room. Whenever I put it on the rack on the back, it feels like I'm always finding some bolt has vibrated loose by the time I get back home. Water bottle cage bolts, not a big deal. Saddle that drops out at the end of a sprint because the binder bolt vibrated loose, less than ideal.
Old 04-19-21, 08:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
FWIW, bikes on a roof rack expose the bikes and the car to damage when one drives into the garage or other low hanging objects such as tree limbs with the bikes on the top. It has happened to a lot of my cycling friends and sometimes the roof of the car is damaged which may not be an easy fix along with the bike.
I went to the "Great Western Bicycle Rally" and we camped at the fairgrounds. A guy camped near us with his family and he had a roof rack with 4 bikes and the rack was secured to the plastic roof rails that came on the car, a Taurus wagon.
There was a thick wire about 6 or 7 feet high that the rally used to hang banners on. It was strung across one end of the area where we parked and when he left the wire ripped the roof rails off of the car and the whole rack with 4 bikes on it slammed to the ground. People offered to carry his bikes home to LA because he had no way to do it.

Two friends were driving on hwy 101 with 2 bikes on a very old roof rack. The rack broke and my friend's Orca took flight, sailing over the divider into the traffic going the other way where it was run over by numerous cars and trucks. Here is the biggest piece he found.

A friend went to Solvang to do the century and he had his 50th Anniversary Paramount on the roof rack and of course he drove into the garage at the motel. Bent the fork and tore up the seat but the frame was ok. Richard Schwinn at Waterford got him a matching fork. Also, another friend who was coming up in the morning brought him a bike to ride for the event.

Last edited by big john; 04-19-21 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-19-21, 08:59 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Moment of truth tomorrow... Our mechanic's going to go through the car to see if I did aight or if I dun farked up.

And I'm taking the last of my 'general' step/board exams on weds/thurs this week. Can't wait to be doneeeeee!
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 04-20-21, 08:43 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Here is one more roof rack story. In 1990 4 of us rode across the country. 3 of us rented a car and borrowed a roof rack and drove from LA to Florence, Oregon to start the trip, we met up with the 4th rider later. We paid a guy to come along and drive the car back to LA, it was cheaper than leaving it in Oregon.
Anyway we drove through swarms of insects on our way to Oregon and our bikes were disgusting with splattered bugs. The bike that was facing rear had the cassette packed with bees and other unfortunate creatures. Saddle, bars, everything was smeared and defiled. Gross.
Old 04-20-21, 09:17 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
There's being safe about covid, and there's being absolutely ridiculous with no thought for common sense.

I'm at the doctor with my wife, an ob because that's her primary. Sitting in the car watching a movie with the kids (thankful for the rear seat entertainment system). My wife said there's a woman in the waiting room with like a 3 week old, and she needs help for herself, something isn't right, she has an appointment.

They won't let her bring the baby back, they're trying to even kick her out of the waiting room. WTF is she supposed to do with a 3 week old? And at an OB you'd think this would come up constantly so they'd have a plan. It's a doctor's office, I assume literally everyone there is vaccinated by this point, the newborn isn't a risk to anyone. Ridiculous. You can't get daycare to take a kid that young, even if you can afford it. So if she doesn't have family she's literally out of options.
Old 04-20-21, 10:01 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I have repaired a "roof rack crash" bike on more than one occasion. It is never an easy or inexpensive experience. I have seen grown adults cry over it.

Here's my "latest". If you're my friend on Facebook then you've probably already seen this but quick story to entertain you on a Tuesday. In 1996 my Uncle "Bob" died. He was my mother's "big brother" and the man I was, kind of, named after. He was a farmer with my grandfather. They both were highly skilled mechanically. My grandfather actually ran an early auto repair shop out of the barn, they had a large machine shop in the small barn, and my grandfather was rumored to have fixed a plane for Lindberg when he landed in a field close by (family lore and all).

My great Uncle Charlie bought a Ford Model A in 1928. He moved with it to Texas and ran or owned an orchard of some sort in Hidalgo county. At some point in the late 60's or so he got a bit too old and was brought back to Illinois. My Uncle Bob apparently remembered the Model A as being a bright shining piece of modern tech from when he was a kid. So he trailered it back. He and I talked a bit about restoring cars. He mainly restored tractors. An old Case he did was the big draw. He and my grandfather have a couple in a steam tractor museum in Southern Illinois I was told.

A few months after he passed I received a copy of his will. I had no idea why. I glanced through it and found a single line - "I leave my 1928 Ford Model A to my Nephew Robert". At the time I was living at College in a Fraternity house. I couldn't keep my car on campus without getting a ticket so I was lost about how I would keep the car.

Pic above is my Uncle Bob in the driver's seat and myself in the Passenger seat the last time I rode in this car (1985 or 86 maybe).

My Aunt simply said to leave it in the garage they had at their house until I was ready. Well time moved on. I graduated and got married. Moved all over. Had a child. Whole time I was worried about getting the A. Then life happened. It always happens. My aunt died and about a year or so after that the house was selling. It was time to move the A. I cleared out one side of my garage and talked a teammate of mine to go down during an "off" week in the cyclocross season.

That was 2008. Since then I have been putting it off. "It's too much, I don't have the space. I will wait for the boys to get older", etc. Well I started thinking - It was manufactured on Sept 18, 1928. My eldest is 15. Youngest is 8. It's 7.5 years until the car turns 100. In that time one kid will leave the house and the other will be old enough. Both can help now. So I have started working on it.

What was intimidating has quickly become manageable chunks. Now it's simply a limit of time and money. I'd order most of the part I need today if I knew I could get them on in a reasonable amount of time. I have been encouraged to leave the car original and just get it running the best I can. I think I am going to re-build, repair and replace what I need to as I need to and then yank the body and pull, paint and replace everything else when the time is right in a couple of years.

I've been collecting the books for years and reading them but have been too intimidated to actually go and lay hands on the car. My fear of "what if I break something irreplaceable"? Turns out there's nothing that isn't replaceable except the memories I can create ...that and it's an amazing piece of Old American steel that isn't going to be hurt by me.

I was talking to a guy on my team last fall. Mentioned I had a Model A - "You're kidding! My dad is SUUUPER into A's and T's. He has had about 35 of them over his lifetime". He started pointing me in the right direction. Now this year I am moving. I feel like a Cat 5 that just discovered power meters. I have learned more about the engine and mechanics of a Model A in such a short time frame that it's scary. I can start to identify parts by sight and know when they're right/wrong. I still have a metric ton to learn but man... this is going to encompass me. So maybe I will end up out here less....

Current state. Door pockets are filled with flyers for a theater in Texas (most likely from the 50's). the trap shooting trophies are from my Uncle and Grandfather (both well accomplished "masters" shooters).

Old 04-20-21, 12:32 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

As I said on FB...

That's a helluva patina!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.