Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain Vertex 1996

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-21, 04:30 PM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts

Thought I would share my latest purchase. Saw this on FM Marketplace by fluke, was searching the term “Rocky Mountain” to find one I was selling and noticed a non-drive side photo of this Vertex for $285 (CAD), did not know the model from this photo. Normally I’m bargain hunting for flips but on further inspection notice the Magura brakes, Syncros post and Race Face cranks, must be worth a look? First buyer was a no-show so I was invited to go check it out. After seeing the drive side I was sold, couldn’t get the seller lower than $280.

After researching the Vertex I was blown away. What a frame! (3lbs 4oz) Race Face bottom bracket, full XT, functional Judy. 15th anniversary decals. Didn’t realize these were the top end hard tails of 96’ just under the T.O. - Score!!

Too bad the threadless Syncros Cattlerhead was missing, I’m not much for 90s front suspension or gripshift so swapped to M739 triggers and Prestige Super Light rigid fork I already had on another bike, swapped the Syncors bar for a Ritchey Prolite WCS, swapped the awsome Race Face headset for a threaded Ritchey Logic, added a Syncros Cattleprod stem, Flite saddle and some of my favorite tires (Kenda Small Block Eight). The Gore Ride-on cables are still slick as butter. Now those Magura Evolution HS22s…. love em’, very heavy but who cares? They do feel better than any rim brake I have ever used. Full weight is 21.5lbs as built. All stock other than above part swaps. Took it out in amazing Vancouver warm sunny ride yesterday and was blown away. Was worried the 17.5” frame would be small (I’m 5’-7”) but fits like a glove. Not surprisingly this frame rides nicer than my 94’ Vapor (still a great frame though). Possibly the best riding vintage MTB I have ridden (neck & neck with the C’dale 93’ SM800 is just built up).

Previous owner had built it into a commuter with short stem, slick tires and lot’s of reflective tape.

As purchased:

My modifications:

Likes For retrodude:
Old 04-26-21, 05:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
You effin' nailed it with both the purchase and the build. You gotta love 21 lb mtn bikes, especially a RM.
Find me a Blizzard would you?
Old 04-26-21, 05:53 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Nice clean build. Ive noticed these old rigid mtb have been steadily increasing in price. Also not a fan of 25 year old suspension.
Old 04-27-21, 09:12 AM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Originally Posted by clubman
You effin' nailed it with both the purchase and the build. You gotta love 21 lb mtn bikes, especially a RM.
Find me a Blizzard would you?
Thanks! I have four other 90s MTBs, one hardtail, the rest rigid. I just love how these bikes ride. I'm at my limit now according to my better half LOL
Old 04-27-21, 09:17 AM
retrodude

Originally Posted by Narhay
Nice clean build. Ive noticed these old rigid mtb have been steadily increasing in price. Also not a fan of 25 year old suspension.
Thanks, yes, I wonder if collectability will increase over time, either way most of my bikes will be with me to the end but I love getting my hands especially on some of the old Syncros & Race face bits. I've started flipping bikes to pass the time and feed the habit.

Check out this Diamond Back Arrival with full XT (6 speed) i just picked up for $50. Not sure what I'm doing with the whole bike yet but it will be back out on the road

Old 04-27-21, 09:35 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by retrodude
Thanks, yes, I wonder if collectability will increase over time, either way most of my bikes will be with me to the end but I love getting my hands especially on some of the old Syncros & Race face bits. I've started flipping bikes to pass the time and feed the habit.

Check out this Diamond Back Arrival with full XT (6 speed) i just picked up for $50. Not sure what I'm doing with the whole bike yet but it will be back out on the road

That's very nice. When I lived in Burnaby these old XT bikes would come up regularly but here in Toronto they are far less common. Almost like I live where there aren't any mountains...
Old 04-27-21, 11:47 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
That's very nice. When I lived in Burnaby these old XT bikes would come up regularly but here in Toronto they are far less common. Almost like I live where there aren't any mountains...
This is a very good point. We are spoiled with mountains in Burnaby (SFU), Vancouver (north shore) and the rest of the Fraser Valley. So MTB'ers would (and still do) invest in their purchases to make the most of it.