Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-27-21, 09:17 AM
  #6001  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,416
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 364 Posts
Move out to Apex.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 09:20 AM
  #6002  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,401
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 322 Posts
It's looking like it's time to say goodbye to this old girl. My house has been like an episode of the good place the past several days.

16 years


gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-27-21, 09:52 AM
  #6003  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,587

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Very sorry. That's a pretty great, long life I'm sure she had though.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 10:12 AM
  #6004  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 154 Posts
Really sorry gsteinb.
cmh is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 10:19 AM
  #6005  
furiousferret
Senior Member
 
furiousferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redlands, CA
Posts: 6,276
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 433 Times in 232 Posts
As someone who recently lost 2 dogs, sorry to hear that gsb.
furiousferret is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 10:31 AM
  #6006  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 256 Posts
so sorry about the dog, it's hard to say goodbye. we lost our 2 doberman sisters 9 years ago, just a few months apart from each other, and we still miss them and remember them fondly all the time
hubcyclist is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 02:42 PM
  #6007  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts
Condolences.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 03:55 PM
  #6008  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,328

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2723 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,130 Posts
I am really sorry.
caloso is offline  
Old 04-27-21, 04:03 PM
  #6009  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,506

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 758 Posts
Very difficult loss. My condolences.
Hermes is online now  
Old 04-28-21, 06:43 AM
  #6010  
topflightpro
Senior Member
 
topflightpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,416
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 364 Posts
I'm sorry Gary.
topflightpro is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 06:50 AM
  #6011  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro View Post
Move out to Apex.
Well, with the whole Apple thing.....and housing costs....

We're a bit young for our kid's ages. Way the North Hills neighborhood is going we could likely sell and roll equity, cash, increased value, and sale of our rental in Greensboro together to have a paid for place by the time I'm 45 if we "move out somewhere". If so, that's a distinct possibility.

Reason we're fine where we are right now is that we got in cheaper and it's not the weird stupid "mixed" stuff they're doing these days with a Target next to a neighborhood next to a gas station/liquor store. It's 100% houses and then N Hills business stuff is "way up the road". We're on 2/3 of an acre and have close greenway access for kids/running/rec.

I'll eat it till then I guess. Do the TT flat riding when I'm out in Clayton for work.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 04-28-21, 04:35 PM
  #6012  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,401
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 322 Posts
Thanks guys. Tough stuff. She was loved, and went peacefully.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 01:48 PM
  #6013  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,388

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 412 Posts
Sorry Gary.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 02:31 PM
  #6014  
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 13,822

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 386 Times in 173 Posts
Sorry Gary
TheKillerPenguin is offline  
Old 04-29-21, 03:07 PM
  #6015  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,605
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts
First physiotherapy only 6 days post op. Looks better than it was before the screws.
Enthalpic is offline  
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 05-01-21, 12:02 PM
  #6016  
ridethecliche
Batw Creakcreak
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dirty Jerz
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 134 Posts
Sorry to hear Gary. She lived a good long happy life.
ridethecliche is offline  
Old 05-03-21, 06:06 AM
  #6017  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 704 Posts
Drawing up a birthday ride route. I'm already expecting to probably ride it alone. I like routes not conducive to diverse groups. Groups = mostly flat super long straight roads. Me = curve, curve, hill, covered bridge, the only 100 yards of cobblestone in town, hill, etc.... Not conducive to diverse groups. Whatever, I'll enjoy myself either way.
burnthesheep is offline  
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-03-21, 09:03 AM
  #6018  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 17,331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Drawing up a birthday ride route. I'm already expecting to probably ride it alone. I like routes not conducive to diverse groups. Groups = mostly flat super long straight roads. Me = curve, curve, hill, covered bridge, the only 100 yards of cobblestone in town, hill, etc.... Not conducive to diverse groups. Whatever, I'll enjoy myself either way.
I did a "birthday ride" last Saturday. I wanted to try an old route of about 80 miles with 7700 feet of climbing. I hadn't done anything like that in a while. I also wanted to do it solo so I wouldn't blow up chasing people and suffer to the end. The high point was only around 5000 feet but it was plenty cold descending the back side on the ridge. Lots of headwind for the last 30+ miles but I didn't have any problems except the traffic sucked when I got back to civilization. I didn't take any pics but found a couple on line of the area. I also did a 65 mile club ride this Saturday to have back to back birthday rides for turning 67.


I crossed this bridge half way up the first 9 mile climb. I'm going over the top of the ridge to the left of where the sun is.


Had one tunnel on the route. I don't like tunnels but traffic was very light at this point.


Lots of this.

I don't know how I forgot the second tunnel, maybe because I do this one so often. It's on the road where they filmed the movie "Duel".



Last edited by big john; 05-03-21 at 09:26 AM.
big john is online now  
Likes For big john:
Old 05-03-21, 10:08 AM
  #6019  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 2,732

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 1,118 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
I did a "birthday ride" last Saturday. I wanted to try an old route of about 80 miles with 7700 feet of climbing. I hadn't done anything like that in a while. I also wanted to do it solo so I wouldn't blow up chasing people and suffer to the end. The high point was only around 5000 feet but it was plenty cold descending the back side on the ridge. Lots of headwind for the last 30+ miles but I didn't have any problems except the traffic sucked when I got back to civilization. I didn't take any pics but found a couple on line of the area. I also did a 65 mile club ride this Saturday to have back to back birthday rides for turning 67.


I crossed this bridge half way up the first 9 mile climb. I'm going over the top of the ridge to the left of where the sun is.


Had one tunnel on the route. I don't like tunnels but traffic was very light at this point.


Lots of this.

I don't know how I forgot the second tunnel, maybe because I do this one so often. It's on the road where they filmed the movie "Duel".


Dude, that's looks like an awesome ride!

Sometimes the lonely ride is worth it.

I'd love to share with others and have a cafecito before and after the ride, but even in our race team it's hard to find folks who like to ride anything remotely hillier. Most of the hammer or group rides are about 40ft per mile elevation. Most routes I ride alone that are road bike instead of TT bike are 60+ feet per mile. Just those short cute little 2min hills.

But the route I have so far I will start at my favorite coffee shop. Then it's almost like a "roadie scavenger hunt" route.

-coffee shop start
-into town for a few hills
-ride the one 100 yard stretch of cobblestones
-ride the back to back to back roundabouts
-leave town
-go thru the covered bridge just out of town right into a 15% super short little turd hill
-flatten out and loop by the lake and maybe head down to a marina parking lot
-loop back taking a few hills to the same coffee shop

I am a-ok waiting for folks on hills, I'm at 68kg nowadays and usually they are short enough I climb them at sweetspot which works out to just under 4w/kg. 2min at sweetspot is nothing. Even if you do it 10x in a 40mi ride.

We'll see.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 05-03-21, 11:09 AM
  #6020  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 256 Posts
Shameless self promotion: I made a video comparing my two helmets

hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-03-21, 11:29 AM
  #6021  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 154 Posts
hubcyclist did you check the weather and see if the wind changed at all from one run to the next? I know around here the wind can pick up as the day goes on so an 8 mph wind on one run could increase to 10 mph an hour later pretty easily. I'd expect a difference, but that change of 0.8 mph seems pretty huge. Nice video at any rate! It would be great to see some follow up of a couple additional trials to be sure it isn't an anomaly, and maybe get another rider to do the same so you have another person.
cmh is offline  
Old 05-03-21, 11:51 AM
  #6022  
hubcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 256 Posts
I didn't really dig too deep into the conditions, only that they 'felt' the same between the runs (they were only 5mins apart). Even as I was riding (and I don't keep speed on my head unit), I was surprised at how much more easily I seemed to be cutting through the air, normally I don't notice because I don't wear both helmets, but doing a before and after I could just sense a difference.
hubcyclist is offline  
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-03-21, 11:56 AM
  #6023  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 17,331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3299 Post(s)
Liked 2,610 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
Dude, that's looks like an awesome ride!

Sometimes the lonely ride is worth it.

I'd love to share with others and have a cafecito before and after the ride, but even in our race team it's hard to find folks who like to ride anything remotely hillier. Most of the hammer or group rides are about 40ft per mile elevation. Most routes I ride alone that are road bike instead of TT bike are 60+ feet per mile. Just those short cute little 2min hills.

But the route I have so far I will start at my favorite coffee shop. Then it's almost like a "roadie scavenger hunt" route.

-coffee shop start
-into town for a few hills
-ride the one 100 yard stretch of cobblestones
-ride the back to back to back roundabouts
-leave town
-go thru the covered bridge just out of town right into a 15% super short little turd hill
-flatten out and loop by the lake and maybe head down to a marina parking lot
-loop back taking a few hills to the same coffee shop

I am a-ok waiting for folks on hills, I'm at 68kg nowadays and usually they are short enough I climb them at sweetspot which works out to just under 4w/kg. 2min at sweetspot is nothing. Even if you do it 10x in a 40mi ride.

We'll see.
I'm lucky to live at the base of the San Gabriel mountains and can ride into them from home, though I drive to ride starts a lot. When up there it's 100 feet per mile on average on the main roads and the highest point for road riding is about 8000 feet in the area I usually go. I'm down to 90 kg since I retired. Here is a pic from 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by big john; 05-13-21 at 08:28 AM.
big john is online now  
Likes For big john:
Old 05-05-21, 04:53 AM
  #6024  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,401
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 322 Posts
Train harder
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-05-21, 08:47 AM
  #6025  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,506

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist View Post
Shameless self promotion: I made a video comparing my two helmets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_CDQIyGf7M
I watched your video and liked it. Phew. However, the .8 mph difference seems too much although the regular helmet in the vid looks slow and depending on your head position could be more of a factor.

I would suggest using a velodrome or a road route that is similar to a track. The way to get good data is to make several loops of a short course where there is head, cross and tail wind at constant power. Then pick the best run to determine a speed or calculate a CdA. Then do another set of laps with the competing piece of equipment and pick the best run. I think this will yield better results and more accurate comparisons. Long courses and time intervals allow too many variables to change including Rho.

Or just use the Chung coast down method. Once again, make several runs with each piece of equipment.
Hermes is online now  
Likes For Hermes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.