Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Pinarello do I have?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-28-21, 03:51 AM
Thomas Z

Bikes: pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All. I want to restore my brothers old Pinarello. i think it is a treviso from 1989 to 1991, or something close. it has the chrome chain guard, 27.2mm seat post, has Columbus SLX decal (SLX above the bird so i read post '89). I assumed it wasn't a montello because the brake cable does not go through to tube. the head badge i think is early 1990s which would fit in for when my dad and brother bought it, second hand, probably around 1992/1993?

the serial number is not easy to read but i think is EE569.

i will add some photos, but i think i have to make some more posts first.

i only want to know so i can get the best/sympathetic restoration done, my brother is no longer around so i want to do the best with it i can.

Any help from what i have put so far?

Thomas
Old 04-28-21, 05:55 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Use Imgur.com to host the pics
Old 04-28-21, 06:27 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
Or just add pics to your gallery here and someone can post them to this thread for you.
Old 04-28-21, 07:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Be aware that there were European market versions of the Montello which used traditional, external brake cable routing. The presence of the bridgeless, investment cast BB shell would increase my confidence in it actually being SLX. An EE-code serial number would place it 1985, based on research conducted by another forum member but this should be verifiable via the dropout branding, as the dropouts switched from Campagnolo to Pinarello branding in the very late 1980s.
Old 04-29-21, 04:56 AM
Thomas Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i posted the photos in the gallery, sadly i cannot upload a link to photos or photos directly for a few more posts.

hopefully you can see them?
Old 04-29-21, 06:20 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 148 Posts
Pic assist

More on OPs gallery

Likes For CO_Hoya:
Old 04-29-21, 06:23 AM
Thomas Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for posting on the thread :-)
Old 04-29-21, 06:29 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
The decals appear to be in flawless condition. Are you sure it's a real Pinarello? :]

Just kidding. It's a beautiful bike and I can't imagine it needing much beyond fresh grease in the bearings and new consumables tires, cables, bar tape, etc.
Likes For Clang:
Old 04-29-21, 06:38 AM
Thomas Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are right, the decals are surprisingly good for a real one :-) - probably put on at a later date? There is some conflicting info as per the SLX frame, and the frame number (EE569) would suggest it being perhaps mid 80's. my brother bought in in 1990 - 1992 i think, and cycling was much more alternative back then in the UK, so i don't think there is any funny business, but from what i have been told the parts are mainly chorus (and chorus group launched 87/88 i believe). i am pretty sure my brother bought it second hand so it could be that the SLX sticker is just the wrong sticker that was replaced?

my brother was the expert and not me, but it could be a mish-mash of components i guess?
Old 04-29-21, 06:42 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Lovely bike, will make a great project.

As T-Mar has already noted, the serial number points to mid-80's, as does the lack of bottle cage mounts on the seat tube. (Although it's hard to see - are there seat tube bottle mounts?)

As you have mentioned, the stripy Pinarello head badge didn't come along until the late 80's, so I'm wondering if it got a re-paint or re-decal at some stage?

You can check if the tubing is SLX or not by checking for helical ribs inside the base of the seat tube via the bottom bracket shell.

Montellos would also have a braze-on front derailleur tab.

I think you're on the money with a Treviso, and I'd say mid 80's.
Old 04-29-21, 10:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
I concur, this is not consistent with a Montello, even the European versions with external, rear brake cable routing. The European versions I've seen have used the bridgeless bottom bracket shell and this appears to have a traditional bridge. It also doesn't have a front derailleur hanger, typical of all Montello that I've seen, regardless of the market. My leading candidate would also be a mid-1980s Treviso.

I also think this is repaint. Besides the non-flaking logo decals,which are rare on a Pinarello, it's missing the palmares decal, which is the one decal that is usually intact on a PInarello. Finally, it's missing the pinstriping at the borders between the chrome and painted areas.
Old 04-29-21, 12:03 PM
Thomas Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone, i think it is likely to be a Treviso SL from what everyone has said.

i am not an expert rider but i'd love to ride this, with the setup it has, would there be any need to change any of the components, e.g. the friction gears? or easy enough for an occasional cyclist to use?
Old 04-29-21, 12:10 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Surely a re-decaled frame if there's no flaking evident on them.
Heck, if those decals were original, they would have started flaking off like crazy, the moment that sunlight and the slightest breeze hit them........ vampire style......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 04-29-21, 12:12 PM
Thomas Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it has been in a garage since '94 but from what i have read they would be the most resiluiant decals pinarello ever did to be original :-)
Old 04-29-21, 03:04 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas Z
would there be any need to change any of the components, e.g. the friction gears? or easy enough for an occasional cyclist to use?
I don’t think there’s any need to change them. There’s a little bit of finesse required, but it comes fairly quickly.

Dura-Ace on an Italian frame though, I can’t endorse that
Likes For P!N20:
Old 04-30-21, 04:56 AM
Thomas Z

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it must seem like heresy :-)
Old 04-30-21, 05:24 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@Thomas Z - Good find! My Montello came with DA 740x components. Like P!N20 stated it was hard to endorse and ride. In my case, it was indexed 8V. Shifted extremely well and I really enjoyed the experience. I think I put nearly 4K miles on it with the DA.
I just couldn't take it anymore and started looking for good deals on Campy parts. It is a bit of a mixed group at the moment and will likely stay that way. It is mostly Chorus with Ergo's. I like the shifting performance even better with the Ergo's. The wheels are still DA hubbed and the cluster is also. I found a set of spacers here that allowed the use of the Campy RD.
Although slightly newer than yours, mine represents a well used Pinarello with the decals gone and only ghost images left. Paint is in bad shape and getting worse despite my efforts to preserve it. It is a great ride and is only surpassed by the De Rosa only because the Ergos were refurbished, shifting better and it has a slightly lower gear for hills.
The Pin is an 8V and the De Rosa a 10. Most of the gearing is matched with the exception of the lower gear. I really don't need anymore than 8. I could probably get by with 7.