Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain compressor tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain compressor tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 12:55 AM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Chain compressor tool

Need a tool to connect split chain together, i believe its called "chain press", but way too expensive for this simple design $15.

I have this chain breaker tool, can i convert it to use as chain compressor tool say if i put something that prevents pin from going trough the opening at the exit/opening end where the pin come out of the chain?

Last edited by PimpMan; 05-01-21 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-01-21, 01:01 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I used a washer to act as a spacer back when I used that type tool.
Old 05-01-21, 08:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
If I read this correctly the question is how to not push the pin all the way out of the side plates. The classic method is to stop turning the tool's handle/pushing pin before the chain pin falls out. Sure this takes both thinking before the pin is fully out and looking at the pin's partially removed state then reusing the tool to continue the push a tad more. Once this technique is done it becomes obvious why many BICYCLE chain tools have no pin push limit device, because it's so easy to just check during the process. Andy
Old 05-01-21, 05:01 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
If I read this correctly the question is how to not push the pin all the way out of the side plates. The classic method is to stop turning the tool's handle/pushing pin before the chain pin falls out.
Chain plier tools like the VAR #303 or Gian Robert would come with pins just long enough to not push the chain pin all the way out. Worked pretty well until chains got narrower and narrower to accommodate more and more sprockets on the cluster. Of course, now with the riveted chains you may as well push the pin all the way out and re-connect with a master link.

And tools like the Park CT-2 chain pliers had an adjustable stroke that could accommodate a range of chain widths.

Old 05-02-21, 10:26 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Once this technique is done it becomes obvious why many BICYCLE chain tools have no pin push limit device, because it's so easy to just check during the process.
THIS^^
Most chain tools also have more than one way to hold the chain. This allows one of the side plates to be supported as the pin is pushed through *just enough* to release the link, and when reassembling the link the other side plate is supported allowing the "tight link" to be released.
Old 05-02-21, 05:29 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Here are some images of my old CYCLO chain breaker... I've had this thing for 50 years.

Vintage "Cyclo" chain tool.

The "business end" of the tool.

This is the chain in position to be opened. With care, the pin remains in the side plate while providing clearance to remove the inner section. The side plate away from the tool's pin is supported.

This is the chain positioned to relieve the "tight link" after driving the pin to close the chain. The side plate away from the tool's pin is unsupported.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-02-21, 06:14 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
^^^ I've been waiting 40 years for my Cyclo tool to break so I can get a new one with a nice cushy handle but it just keeps working, dang it. Anyways excellent post on how to use a chain tool in the different grooves properly.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-02-21, 06:19 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
...how to use a chain tool in the different grooves properly.
Hahahaha... I read the instructions! They're long-gone, but somehow my otherwise porous memory retains them.
Old 05-02-21, 06:28 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
That chain press is for the master link on a motorcycle chain. I've seen guys on the trail replace a master link with a small socket and a rock, but the press is a lot easier. There's no need for a chain press with a bicycle chain.
Old 05-04-21, 01:15 PM
PimpMan

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
That chain press is for the master link on a motorcycle chain. I've seen guys on the trail replace a master link with a small socket and a rock, but the press is a lot easier. There's no need for a chain press with a bicycle chain.

My question was more on how to connect the new chain permanently (without using quick link), but with pin that you need to press in. how can this be done without a chain press?

I don't want to use quick link because sometimes they fall off and i want to use this for coaster (brake) hub.
Old 05-04-21, 01:34 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You just push the pin in with the chain-break as others have explained above. Line it up with the pin on the tool and push it in. A chain press pushes two pins on one side of the master link into the plate on the other side. Lookup motorcycle master link and you'll see what I mean. By the way, track sprinters use quick links so I wouldn't be too concerned about their integrity on your coaster brake bike if you decide to go that route. All of my bike chains have quick links.
Likes For kingston: