Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Nishiki International WE11972 please i.d.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 02:33 PM
radioarno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi I'm going to go look at a Nishiki International in my size, hopefully to replace the Nishiki Olympia that was stolen from me that was *the most comfortable* bike I've ever ridden. This one has 700c wheels/tires, and I'm guessing the stolen Olympia was so cosy because it had 27 1 1/4 wheels, but I can't quibble over tire size and I'm hoping this one will be cosy. I'm confused by the lugs, because it doesn't have beautiful lugs, by what I see in the pics, and I don't understand why a relatively high end Nishiki would have low end lugs on it, i.e. no cutouts, no flaring on the ends of the lugs. Anyways, can you identify what year it is, what's going on with the lugs, and how it might be, drivetrain wise? Also, can you tell me if it originally had 27 1 1/4 wheels, or if 700 are stock? Thanks

Old 05-11-21, 03:23 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Here is a thread with relevant information: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...07-serial.html
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 05-11-21, 06:37 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is 1986 Nishiki International LD. If you like cushy rides, this probably is not the bicycle for you. It rides quite stiff due to the large diameter Tange #1 tubing, in conjunction with narrow, high pressure tyres. The plain appearance of the lugs are due to the oversize tubes and construction method. The lugs have internal sleeves that the tubes fit over, prior to a combination of internal brazing and external heli-arc welding.

Make sure you give this a thorough test ride before you buy. It will be much lighter than the Olympic but also have quicker handling and transmit more road shock. Closely examine the seat lug around the cinch bolt ears. They have a reputation for cracking in this area due to slightly undersize posts that promote overtightening..
Old 05-11-21, 08:56 PM
radioarno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is 1986 Nishiki International LD. If you like cushy rides, this probably is not the bicycle for you. It rides quite stiff due to the large diameter Tange #1 tubing, in conjunction with narrow, high pressure tyres. The plain appearance of the lugs are due to the oversize tubes and construction method. The lugs have internal sleeves that the tubes fit over, prior to a combination of internal brazing and external heli-arc welding.

Make sure you give this a thorough test ride before you buy. It will be much lighter than the Olympic but also have quicker handling and transmit more road shock. Closely examine the seat lug around the cinch bolt ears. They have a reputation for cracking in this area due to slightly undersize posts that promote overtightening..
oh thank you thank you thank you. Saved me a big trip. It has 700x23 on it, and I definitely do not want another stiff riding bike. My beater is a Miyata Carbontech 7000 that's already wayyy too stiff for my 63 year old back. Thank you kindly.