Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What are these brake levers called? Having trouble finding the right levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 03:14 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I'm dialing in my new (to me) Surly LHT. The handlebars are giving me some issues. My old bike had butterfly bars, which I love and moved them over. But because of the differences in geometry the aero brakes I had on my old bike aren't working in the position I need, and mountain bike brake levers all seem to have a rigid clamp so I can't fit it around the bends of the butterfly bars.

Walking around today, low and behold spied a bike with mountain bike brake levers with...a swivel clamp? Exactly what I need....and can't find...and have no idea how to search for them!

If I could find these or something like this that would pretty much solve my fit issues. Any ideas what these are called? I might be able to rummage through some shop parts bin, but would be nice to start new if they still make them.

Thanks!

​​​​​​​

Can't mount the aero levers like I used to. Might try to print a shim to change the angle.

mtb brake levers with...a swivel clamp? The swivel clamp will let me just mount it without sliding it around the bends

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-20-21, 03:21 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Inline, Auxiliary, Interrupter, Cross, or Top Mount levers are all terms used for these. Many different mfrs. make them with swivel clamps.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 05-20-21 at 03:24 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-20-21, 03:31 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Inline, Auxiliary, Interrupter, Cross, or Top Mount levers are all terms used for these. Many different mfrs. make them with swivel clamps.
Those don't look like interrupter levers to me, since they have a pocket for the cable end fitting showing on the bottom two photos.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-20-21, 03:37 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Those don't look like interrupter levers to me, since they have a pocket for the cable end fitting showing on the bottom two photos.
Good grief, you're right. Time for my senior nap.
Old 05-20-21, 03:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Why not guidonnet levers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bars.jpg (97.9 KB, 157 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-20-21, 04:36 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Those look like regular flat bar levers.

Interrupter levers might do the trick for you - they allow you to keep the regular drop bar levers and add a flat bar style lever:

I've been using interrupter levers for years - love 'em. They all have hinged opening clamps. There are 4 basic kinds: 31.8mm clamp short pull, 31.8mm clamp long pull (long pull for mountain V-brakes), 26mm clamp short pull, 26mm clamp long pull.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-20-21, 06:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
I'll offer a small rant here, do not read further if you are sensitive.

Brake levers positioned as the OP has imaged are IMO boarder line dangerous in that the only hand position that the levers can be operated with places the hands too close to the stem, where there's little steering leverage and little chest cavity openness. Back in the day we saw a lot of bikes with what were wrongly called "safety levers". A secondary lever which acted on the primary lever blade but reached the flat/top area of a drop bar. Many liked them as they didn't need to lean/reach forward to use the brakes. The more experienced riders knew these levers limited the primary lever's range of useful cable pull, would easily come loose on their pivots and (as I said above) enable a poor hand position to be used for extended lengths of time.

The more recent "top mount" versions were initially designed as a race aid. The cycle cross racing dismount can be helped with these extra brake lever position. But as is the case way too many times, the common rider adopted what was designed to never be used in traffic, in this case the two top mount levers.

I know many will say that's what works for them, that their single speed drop bike has to have them or they wouldn't have any reachable brakes at all. (And other excuses) I say this is your body's way of saying that drop bars are not for you. If you can't ride the bars on their outer portions where steering control is best AND also use your brakes then you need to either get off the road, and away from other riders too, or choose a bar that offers both steering and braking control AT THE SAME TIME.

Rant over, Andy
Old 05-20-21, 07:19 PM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Use search term clamp brake levers on Ebay and look down through what's available. Looks like Evoke makes some in black, BMX bikes seem to have swivel clamp brake levers and the clamp alone is available for some SRAM brakes. Hope this helps. Dia Compe Tech BMX brake levers?

Last edited by Ciufalon; 05-20-21 at 08:58 PM.
Likes For Ciufalon:
Old 05-20-21, 09:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Although I can't recall arguing with Andrew on anything previous, his rant is pointless in this case. On something like a LHT cross levers or interrupter levers are a great addition. No one is spending 6 hours riding the hoods or the drops on a touring bike, and sometimes people relax on the bar tops. These give you that extra lever that lets you stop that much sooner if you need. While I don't have a bike with them, my wife has 2 bikes with them and the kids each have a bike with them. They're a good solution and much better then old safety levers ever thought of being.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-20-21, 10:35 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You all are amazing, thank you!! I'll post what I can find in case it can help others.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

Brake levers positioned as the OP has imaged are IMO boarder line dangerous in that the only hand position that the levers can be operated with places the hands too close to the stem, where there's little steering leverage and little chest cavity openness. Back in the day we saw a lot of bikes with what were wrongly called "safety levers". A secondary lever which acted on the primary lever blade but reached the flat/top area of a drop bar. Many liked them as they didn't need to lean/reach forward to use the brakes. The more experienced riders knew these levers limited the primary lever's range of useful cable pull, would easily come loose on their pivots and (as I said above) enable a poor hand position to be used for extended lengths of time.

The more recent "top mount" versions were initially designed as a race aid. The cycle cross racing dismount can be helped with these extra brake lever position. But as is the case way too many times, the common rider adopted what was designed to never be used in traffic, in this case the two top mount levers.

I know many will say that's what works for them, that their single speed drop bike has to have them or they wouldn't have any reachable brakes at all. (And other excuses) I say this is your body's way of saying that drop bars are not for you. If you can't ride the bars on their outer portions where steering control is best AND also use your brakes then you need to either get off the road, and away from other riders too, or choose a bar that offers both steering and braking control AT THE SAME TIME.

Rant over, Andy
This is useful - and I didn't concentrate on my old setup as much so the pic was a little misleading. This is a pic of my old bike and how I had them set up (with older Tektro levers). Funny enough, I think the levers you described were what was on it originally...and was one of the first things I took off haha.

For me, I know it's not normally how brakes are set up, but it does give me a ton of different hand positions and can reach the brakes quickly from all of them. The brakes are also in a position that my body would naturally go towards for a panic stop (which is most of my stops - tough riding in city traffic) no matter where they are - think hands out while falling. The LHT has a smaller frame and (as a result) different feel, so I'm still trying to experiment with a few options. If there was a way I could flip the bars, with the flats forward but still be able to sling my helmet / shopping bag over the handlebars that would be perfection - unfortunately the cables interfere with that idea.

[EDIT] Realized the brake levers may have something to do with it so worth noting. The ones on my old bike below are Tektro R200s, while the new ones came with RL-340. I wouldn't mind using the old ones if it solves the problem but the springs are broken (which I can replace if I can find a pair), and the bars are loose (which I could probably fix with a 3D printed shim). I think the problem would be the same anyway because of the bend...though I might be able to print a shim to go between the handlebars and brake lever too [/EDIT]

Last ride before the frame cracked, the levers were based close to the stem, but the lever handles were pretty much straight ahead:

When I first rescued it years ago

Can see those safety bars on the flats...couldn't stop for anything!

Last edited by Air; 05-21-21 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added pics, info
Old 05-21-21, 10:02 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Although I can't recall arguing with Andrew on anything previous, his rant is pointless in this case. On something like a LHT cross levers or interrupter levers are a great addition. No one is spending 6 hours riding the hoods or the drops on a touring bike, and sometimes people relax on the bar tops. These give you that extra lever that lets you stop that much sooner if you need. While I don't have a bike with them, my wife has 2 bikes with them and the kids each have a bike with them. They're a good solution and much better then old safety levers ever thought of being.
We tend to be creatures of our experiences and mine with top of drop bar brake levers has been poor. I have seen too many times the aftermath of riders not being able to control their bikes too many times for me to promote this riding position.

As far as riding the hoods for 6 hours- No one is saying to only use a single hand position is The Way. But on my cross country tour 4 years ago I used the outer portion and hoods of my drop bars about 90%+ of the time. This tour had many days of 6ish hours of actual riding time. But we all react differently to stress and have different needs. I usually just shake my head when riders make poor choices when more viable (more control) options are readily available. This time I took the time to speak out. Andy
Old 05-21-21, 10:33 AM
tyrion

There's confusion in this thread - some people are talking about drop bars with brake levers only on the top (less safe), and some people are talking about interrupter (inline cyclocross) levers supplementing regular drop bar levers (more safe).
Old 05-21-21, 01:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Both lever types place your hands close to the stem. That is my primary issue with either type. This is worse when the top mounted levers are the only placement used, as the OP imaged. Andy
Old 05-21-21, 01:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts

Rant over, Andy
I have heard people refer to them as "suicide levers".
Old 05-21-21, 01:47 PM
tyrion

Both lever types place your hands close to the stem. That is my primary issue with either type. This is worse when the top mounted levers are the only placement used, as the OP imaged. Andy
I might be the instigator of the confusion because the OP posted pics of top lever only drop bars and I brought up inline brake levers, but I think it's important to point out while top lever only drop bars are less safe (as you point out), having the extra inline levers is more safe (IME). I do a lot of "city riding" - slow, in traffic, head high - and the cross top levers have helped me avoid some collisions (mostly with pedestrians).
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-21-21, 02:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by tyrion
I might be the instigator of the confusion because the OP posted pics of top lever only drop bars and I brought up inline brake levers, but I think it's important to point out while top lever only drop bars are less safe (as you point out), having the extra inline levers is more safe (IME). I do a lot of "city riding" - slow, in traffic, head high - and the cross top levers have helped me avoid some collisions (mostly with pedestrians).
Andrew's point seems to be that those levers encourage a very narrow grip on the bars which lacks leverage, making it hard to steer... which is more tricky than you would think when you're also squeezing the life out of the lever while fishtailing trying to avoid hitting something.
Old 05-21-21, 02:55 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Andrew's point seems to be that those levers encourage a very narrow grip on the bars which lacks leverage, making it hard to steer... which is more tricky than you would think when you're also squeezing the life out of the lever while fishtailing trying to avoid hitting something.
I agree that's not the grip you want to have when things get tricky or rough.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-21-21, 05:16 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Those look like Odyssey BMX levers. Monolevers, maybe.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-22-21, 08:19 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Really appreciate everyone's help! Going on a parts bin hunt over the next few days, see what I can find. Most of what I'm seeing online are two fingered levers which won't work with my mitten hands.

(Funny, as I look at this more now I'm leaning back towards 3D printing a shim to handle the curve of the bars...I'm not sure if the hinge clamp will be able to clamp onto the curved part of the bar but will look around for a pair just in case, keep my options open)

We tend to be creatures of our experiences and mine with top of drop bar brake levers has been poor. I have seen too many times the aftermath of riders not being able to control their bikes too many times for me to promote this riding position.

As far as riding the hoods for 6 hours- No one is saying to only use a single hand position is The Way. But on my cross country tour 4 years ago I used the outer portion and hoods of my drop bars about 90%+ of the time. This tour had many days of 6ish hours of actual riding time. But we all react differently to stress and have different needs. I usually just shake my head when riders make poor choices when more viable (more control) options are readily available. This time I took the time to speak out. Andy
Originally Posted by tyrion
I agree that's not the grip you want to have when things get tricky or rough.
I took a cropped shot to show about where I'm trying to place them (though want to point them down more) - I'm confused why so many feel this location is dangerous or suboptimal? I rode like these on my old bike for about 15 years and felt this gave me the most natural panic location, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions or locations to try especially during this fiddling stage.

Last edited by Air; 05-22-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-22-21, 09:22 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

I think many of us missed the type of bar you’re using. FWIW I’m not saying that type of lever is always dangerous, but they do seem to be frequently placed far in where you have little steering control. Your purpose seems to be more of the function of a regular MTB lever, and makes me wonder if you’re sure they won’t make it around the bends.
Old 05-22-21, 09:37 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I think many of us missed the type of bar you’re using. FWIW I’m not saying that type of lever is always dangerous, but they do seem to be frequently placed far in where you have little steering control. Your purpose seems to be more of the function of a regular MTB lever, and makes me wonder if you’re sure they won’t make it around the bends.
@type of bar - Ahh, cool, wasn't sure if that was the case but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I have a pair of mtb levers and as soon it got close to the first bend they stopped (just fiddled again to double check). It seems the straight part of the bars are absolutely made for mtb levers (and where most people tend to mount them) but I don't like them being so close to me. I am thinking about flipping the bars 180 so the straight part is where the curved part is in my last pic but that creates a few other issues. The Venn diagram of the perfect position so far is a space in the middle of non intersecting circles....but I'll get it eventually with some help haha