Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mexico Tour!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mexico Tour!

Old 05-23-21, 09:56 PM
Roberto Vela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mexico Tour!

Hey guys! Roberto here, this is a thread that I've transferred over from the General Cycling Discussion section:

I have been interested in long-distance biking for years, yet being the only cyclist I know, I haven't had the opportunity to bike with others.

I have planned a trip from the border in Brownsville, Texas to Tepeji del Rio, a small town in the state of Hidalgo, central Mexico.

I am looking for fellow cyclists who would like to join me on this trip, whether through the whole trip or just a part, as this is my first trip.

Please contact me privately in regards to this project, I have it set for fourteen days starting in mid June. Suggestions, other contacts, or anything related to this trip would be highly appreciated! I have been cycling for years now, doing my research on what bikes and equipment to use but any help would be amazing. Thank you all, and safe travels!
Old 05-24-21, 06:59 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
After checking the weather channel I found it to be in the very hot temperature range for the time you are writing about doing your tour.
Old 05-24-21, 07:24 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 171 Posts
Here is a Weatherspark comparison with both Brownsville and Ciudad Victoria roughly in lowlands:
https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/6...nd-Brownsville

Looks like muggy humidity almost 100% of the time in Brownsville and average high temperatures over 90 in Ciudad Victoria, listed as Sweltering. By the time you get closer to Mexico City and at elevation it will become more comfortable, but you have a lot of hot/humid cycling to get there.
Old 05-24-21, 09:55 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
México is great although I know nothing about your route.
Finding a partner at such short notice will not be easy, perhaps try CGOAB or Facebook groups.
Temperature will be an issue. And possible issues from excessive exposure to sunlight.

You may face Covid checkpoints and may be prevented from onward travel although I haven't had that problem. It varies state by state.

https://cycle.travel/ is a useful route planner although favours back roads and is especially useful in any of the bigger urban areas.
Osmand is a very useful app to have on your phone for navigation and Points of Interest. IOverlander shows places to stay with comments from other users.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-21, 10:02 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Here is a Weatherspark comparison with both Brownsville and Ciudad Victoria roughly in lowlands:
https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/6...nd-Brownsville

Looks like muggy humidity almost 100% of the time in Brownsville and average high temperatures over 90 in Ciudad Victoria, listed as Sweltering. By the time you get closer to Mexico City and at elevation it will become more comfortable, but you have a lot of hot/humid cycling to get there.
I knew a woman that lived in Brownsville and she said it was hot with lots of humidity.

Sucked even more than the mid atlantic summers.
Old 05-24-21, 11:41 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Officially, there are still land border crossing restrictions in effect on the US-Mexico border until at least June 21, 2021.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? [Yes]
    • The United States and Mexico entered a joint initiative March 21, 2020, restricting non-essential travel along the U.S.-Mexico land border to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Non-essential travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature. The restrictions are in place until at least June 21, 2021. Please see the Embassy’s fact sheet for more information.
    • Travelers entering Mexico by land from Belize, Guatemala o the United States may be denied admission if the purpose of their visit is considered non-essential (
      ). Travelers should carry evidence of the essential nature of their visit and evidence of their resident status in Mexico, if applicable.

I've toured in Mexico, though not in northern Mexico. The summer is not the right time to go insofar as weather is concerned.
Old 05-24-21, 07:05 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
I dunno, your very first bike trip and you choose Mexico?
plus as the others have rightly mentioned, you're most likely going to get your ass kicked by heat--and this is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you haven't ever toured before.
Of course it's doable, and maybe you are very experienced riding in hot weather, and talvez you speak Spanish very well also, but to an outsider joe blow on the internets, this seems a bit ambitious.

pero no somos tu madre, entonces haces que quieres, not sure how you will deal with the border restrictions.
Old 05-29-21, 06:28 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I agree, seems a dodgy choice for your first tour unless you have lots of experience in long distance high heat and humidity riding. Similarly doing it with some Joe you don't even know . . .