Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

High School Road racing programs? Why aren't there any?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

High School Road racing programs? Why aren't there any?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 09:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
The kids wouldn't want to wear lycra. That's always been an odd analogy to me. People always laugh at cyclists for wearing tight shorts but it's acceptable for football players wearing skin tight pants, wrestling, track and field, swimming. ect. It's just cycling shorts that people talk smack about.
My son's track shorts are like bike shorts without the chamois. Most of the kids wear that style, boys and girls. No one thinks anything of it, it's just the uniform. Some of the distance kids wear the 70s style short shorts, but that actually seems more risque than the long lycra shorts.
Old 05-26-21, 09:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4942 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
Come on, you're the guy claiming sports give valuable lessons, the purpose of schooling is valuable lessons. Let's have valuable lessons for all.

I think the purpose of organized sports for young people is to feed the needs of the adults who run them. Then to rationalize it we get all the ******** about life lessons and teamwork and such.
Sports aren't for everyone. Some thrive on music, performing arts, etc. Some thrive on pure academics. There are lots of different ways to do things, and one way is not the right way for everyone.

I think you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-26-21 at 09:25 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-26-21, 10:14 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
I think the purpose of organized sports for young people is to feed the needs of the adults who run them. Then to rationalize it we get all the ******** about life lessons and teamwork and such.
There have been studies on this. It might serve you well to read some.
Old 05-26-21, 11:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,292 Times in 2,945 Posts
The purpose of organized sports in high school is to keep all those kids off your lawn.
Likes For tomato coupe: