Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day (after 9 months of delay)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 04:13 PM
KiwiDallas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts

I'd ordered this Spec Roubaix Sport from my LBS back in early September 2020. It finally arrived at my LBS out of the blue. They have no idea why it appeared. Not my color, but I like this just as much. (No, I didn't get someone else's bike). I want to mention that between the time I ordered this and the time it arrived, the price went up $300. My LBS honored the original price, of course.

It replaces a 2005 (yes 2005) Roubaix Elite Triple. A fine bike, and I'd had it overhauled back in 2017 when it really showed signs of wear. I hope to sell it locally for not-much, so someone else can keep riding it.

The weather cleared up today and I went on a 12-mile shake-out ride, avec hills.

- My first experience with hydraulic disc brakes. Considerably more touch and feel than the Shimano 105 rim brakes I'd been riding, even with fresh rubber brake pads.

- You really notice crisp, precise, tight shifting on a brand new bike. My old one shifted fine, but it was a looser feel from 15 years of wear.

- I finally got the proper size frame (58 size, vs. 56) and the handlebars are much better.

- Specialized's FutureShock system - a tiny shock absorber in the steering stem - was worth waiting for. It's terrific because you don't even notice it in action.

- You may have a new bike, but it doesn't ride itself up the hills.

Old 05-26-21, 04:54 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Congrats!! New bike day is always a banner day.
Old 05-26-21, 05:58 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Congrats! I got a Roubaix a year ago as a replacement of a 20-year-old bike and noticed similar things on the shifting and braking. The components have been refined quite a bit in the last 15 years. Maybe a little more twitchy but overall much smoother, quicker, cleaner, tighter... more awesome!
Old 05-26-21, 06:03 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiDallas
....................... It finally arrived at my LBS out of the blue..................................
Congratulations and ENJOY!!!

Another Full Moon ride of 107.96 miles overnight on my 2018 Roubaix Expert. First ride on new Panaracer Gravelking SK 32mm.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 05-26-21 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-26-21, 06:47 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I'm envious! Just kidding. I like everything about your new bike, from the brakes to the geometry. Enjoy and ride often!
Old 05-26-21, 09:16 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Congrats! But that's the wrong side of the bike.
Old 05-27-21, 03:06 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
FYI I have 105 discs and the air horn like squealing was horrific and embarrassing. I tried every tip and trick I could find on the internet to fix it and nothing worked. I was finally at the point where I was going to sell it and out of desperation came up with the idea to just sand the rotors. I used a piece of rough grit that comes in a tube patch kit and sanded them just barely enough to scuff up the rotors. Instantly fixed it and they've been silent for over 2000 miles now. Didn't effect the braking power any.
Likes For Lazyass: