Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Daytime running lights

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Daytime running lights

Old 05-11-21, 10:58 AM
gleeloyd

Bikes: Trek Top Fuel 9.9 mountain bike, Santa Cruz Stigmata gravel bike, Specialized Turbo Como SL 4.0 (wife's e-bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Daytime running lights

I've recently started using a set of small Bontrager lights that are primarily designed for daytime visibility. Ion 200 RT (front) and Flare RT (rear). Super small, lightweight, and have great mounts for the seat post and bar. Available individually or as a set. Worth looking at if you would like to increase visibility.
Likes For gleeloyd:
Old 05-11-21, 02:49 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I use a Dinotte daylight visibility light. It comes with a variety of clamps and an extension cord. I have it mounted to my Tubus rack with a Tubus fender brace turned upside down and a Nitto accessory attached to it. It uses 8 of the brightest LEDs. It is only good for daylight. Using it at night would make it dangerous for other road users. Jules Verne had no idea that the communications devices he wrote about could create so much maham.
Likes For Rick:
Old 05-20-21, 08:41 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
As I've already posted, I'm now using F & R lights all the time. When driving up Mt. Hamilton last year, it became obvious to me how smart daytme lights are. Then after getting hit by a careless driver a month ago, that's all the convincing I'll ever need. (Didn't go down, no damage to the FULLY RESTORED $8k tandem I was test riding either! Thanking my lucky stars every single day!)

Yes folks, use those lights ALL THE TIME!

And no, I am NOT letting drivers off the hook. No, they shouldn't have to be BLINDED by the light to see us. But I'm also pragmatic. I accept the fact that if it saves a life, it's worth doing. Plus, motorcycles are mandated to use DRLs and they're shown to reduce collisions in autos as well (both my cars have 'em). So use lights! Especially anyone upping their average speed considerably on an e-bike!

EDIT: What am I using? Oh I don't know. Didn't pay too much attention. PlanetBike on the back of one bike. All I know is that today's rechargeable LED lights are AWESOME! I'm one of the few who not only remembers one of the original flashing safety light (name escapes me), but owned and used on. Then the red Vistalite LED lights came out in the mid to late 80's. NightRider, NightSun former user. So glad today's lights are cheap and effective!

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 05-20-21 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 06:56 AM
Mosman12

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use the Garmin ones with the rear radar and they are they best money I spent on cycling by far
Likes For Mosman12:
Old 05-28-21, 10:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Knock yourself out. Just don't strobe on the bike path. Definitely counterproductive, makes people less safe.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-28-21, 11:03 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
You can't spend enough on lights

I ride all weathers on 60mph plus roads. I would have been killed many times over the last 20 years without good lights - day or night.
Next time you're out on a sunny day watch what happens when a cyclist passes under the shadow of a tree, bridge etc. They are literally invisible regardless of any high viz being worn. Never a good idea.
Likes For Johno59:
Old 05-28-21, 11:12 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
I ride all weathers on 60mph plus roads. I would have been killed many times over the last 20 years without good lights - day or night.
Next time you're out on a sunny day watch what happens when a cyclist passes under the shadow of a tree, bridge etc. They are literally invisible regardless of any high viz being worn. Never a good idea.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-28-21, 11:28 AM
Rick

I use the Garmin ones with the rear radar and they are they best money I spent on cycling by far
Their light is not bright enough. My light is the brightest and there is nobody to annoy.
Old 05-28-21, 02:02 PM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gleeloyd
I've recently started using a set of small Bontrager lights that are primarily designed for daytime visibility. Ion 200 RT (front) and Flare RT (rear). Super small, lightweight, and have great mounts for the seat post and bar. Available individually or as a set. Worth looking at if you would like to increase visibility.
Me, too!
I bought those when I 'got back on the bike' recently. I'd been noticing daytime lights on bikes when driving the car; they definitely make a difference, especially in sun/shade areas like riding and driving in and out of trees.
I bought extra mounts so I can move them to my other bike. The rear light mounts are just bolted through the back of the saddlebags.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 05-29-21, 03:59 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
camera photos don't match the human eye
Old 05-29-21, 06:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
I was riding with a Bontrager Ion Pro headlight (daytime flashing mode) and an Ion 200 RT tail light (flashing - bright) when I was struck from behind by a driver on his cellphone. When the LEO arrived to investigate, the driver claimed he didn't see me. The LEO took one look at me in my brightly colored kit and lights still flashing on the bike, and said "Are you kidding me?" He was cited and found 100% at fault.

I have since added the Garmin Varia radar and light, and another 200RT taillight that magnetically attaches to the back of the new Bontrager helmet I had to buy (well, the driver paid for all of my medical bills and upgrades, along with my new bike, in the lawsuit), so now I have 3 rear lights along with the headlight. I also added a video camera.

Nothing is 100% effective in preventing you from being hit by a distracted, impaired, or just plain clueless driver, but the more you can do to make yourself visible, the better.
Old 05-29-21, 07:01 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You got to be dead to not see mine.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-29-21, 07:05 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I've noticed driving my car on country roads that it's hard to see bikes without tail lights with the shadows and mixed light coming through the trees, DO NOT GO OUT without your tail lights!! Sight seeing drivers can easily miss you.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 05-29-21, 12:55 PM
Rick

I was riding with a Bontrager Ion Pro headlight (daytime flashing mode) and an Ion 200 RT tail light (flashing - bright) when I was struck from behind by a driver on his cellphone. When the LEO arrived to investigate, the driver claimed he didn't see me. The LEO took one look at me in my brightly colored kit and lights still flashing on the bike, and said "Are you kidding me?" He was cited and found 100% at fault.

I have since added the Garmin Varia radar and light, and another 200RT taillight that magnetically attaches to the back of the new Bontrager helmet I had to buy (well, the driver paid for all of my medical bills and upgrades, along with my new bike, in the lawsuit), so now I have 3 rear lights along with the headlight. I also added a video camera.

Nothing is 100% effective in preventing you from being hit by a distracted, impaired, or just plain clueless driver, but the more you can do to make yourself visible, the better.
Although it is nice that the cop saw your light and decided that the imbecile motorist wasn't looking at the road, you were still hit. Prior to purchasing my daylight visibility light I studied cellphoneitis behavior. I found that even the most devote followers of this cult look up from the cell phone every mile or two. So I did an internet search and found the brightest, most visibly obnoxious light available at the time. I don't believe your light lives up to my standard.
Old 05-31-21, 06:37 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
Why haven't I been killed even once then? I never use lights in the daytime and my nightime lights are nothing special. There can't be many 60mph roads that allow bicycles. In any case, roads like that don't usually have too many intersections. That's where the majority of cyclists get hit.
Old 05-31-21, 07:16 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I liked them hooked them to my garmin. but when I got a garmin radar and a brighter headlight they were nto great as backups because they are always on so the batteries drain slowly.
Old 05-31-21, 07:19 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I liked them hooked them to my garmin. but when I got a garmin radar and a brighter headlight they were nto great as backups because they are always on so the batteries drain slowly.
Old 05-31-21, 08:02 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There can't be many 60mph roads that allow bicycles. In any case, roads like that don't usually have too many intersections. That's where the majority of cyclists get hit.

I ride on many 60 mph roads. Very common here for a lot of thoroughfares once you get outside the city. And with the exception of the interstate highway,they all allow bicycles.

I ride them using good lights. Seems safer.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-31-21, 08:57 PM
Rick

Once you get out of town were I live the speed limits run between 45 to 65. Before I started using my daylight visibility light, people passed to close quite often. Know it has only happened once in around 5 years. It was a white US government bus and I believe it was intentional.
Old 05-31-21, 09:17 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I have the Bontrager Ion Pro front and Flare rear combo linked to my Garmin Edge on my roadie. I feel it makes me more visible on the back roads i ride because I seem to notice riders with DRLs when I'm driving. Although nothing is foolproof against drunks, cell phone users and whatnot.

I have a cheap Schwinn branded red/rear white/front set I got from Walmart that I use for early morning spins through the neighborhood on one of my older bikes. I will also use the cheap white light on the local path I ride so approaching runners will be aware of me from a distance. It is only two lux compared to the bajillion or whatever lux the Bontrager is so I don't think it is much of an issue to use it in strobe mode.

Lights, strobes, blinkies and other forms of lights seem to be a constant source of debate on these forums. I think lights are a good thing to use and I don't know that I would not use one because some people think they are a distraction.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-01-21, 12:37 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
60mph roads

In the UK 95% of roads allow bicycles. They are not allowed on motorways (freeways ) ie 70mph. In the the UK many intersections have roundabouts that allow high speed exit and entry. Almost no one drives at or below the legal speed limit.
I do about 7500 miles per year all year round. My lights are mounted on my helmet. A driver has to really want to kill me, as I always light them up if I don't see their hood dip as we come together at a roundabouts/intersection. I find lights mounted on the bike cast a too narrow beam and impossible to flash a motorist who is high- beaming me.
Old 06-02-21, 08:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Lights make a good part of a layered safety strategy. With all measures designed to increase visibility, we are trying to command the attention of marginally engaged drivers. During daylight hours cyclists aren't "hard to see" even wearing asphalt colored clothing and using no light.

I use a cocktail of visual enhancements. I wear a bright colored shirt. I also wear bright colored socks. I use lights. I use lane position. I use movement back and forth across the lane.

Lights stand out better on the shaded part of a bicycle. Colors stand out better when the sun is illuminating them. The movement of the neon socks really stands out when they are in the sun. When cars are approaching from either direction, some movement back and forth across the lane may make our silhouette more noticeable.
Old 06-08-21, 09:17 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
I use some obnoxiously bright lights front and rear, day and night. I just angle them downward so they light up the entire road surface for 100 feet both directions but not directly into other people's eyes. On a bright sunny day cutting through grid traffic I might shine the headlight on flashing mode directly in their eyes. Looks like a bike cop I guess. Motorists and peds just freeze up.
Old 06-08-21, 10:46 AM
Rick

It is easy to be seen from a distance at night without overly bright lights that flash. Using a daylight visibility light at night can have the opposite effect. In other words if the traffic is blinded by the light they might hit you. I use a non flashing light at night. I was in Palm Springs last week and saw several small groups of bicyclists. I didn't notice there visibility lights until I was pretty close. It appears that the daylight visibility lights are popular to have, but having one bright enough that doesn't need frequent charging isn't a major concern. My daylight visibility light will run for over thirty hours before it needs recharging. One benefit to having the brightest of these lights is I don't have to worry about discourteous bicyclists who draft unannounced.
Old 06-08-21, 01:31 PM
lexus1995

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having same setup as you do. Working great for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.