Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sting Ray bikes a Euro conspiracy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sting Ray bikes a Euro conspiracy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 09:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DocJames
Um, what in the world is all this? Is there a central point and or summary? Could this not have been condensed into a more readable format? And finally, when you reached the end of authoring this tome did you really truly expect it would be read in its entirety or no?

TL/DR: Turkey levers.

I think he needs a better braking system on his keyboard.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-01-21, 10:14 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Um, what in the world is all this? Is there a central point and or summary? Could this not have been condensed into a more readable format? And finally, when you reached the end of authoring this tome did you really truly expect it would be read in its entirety or no?

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
We've seen that before. Maybe he just wants to say a lot of things whether people read all of them or not? There's also a lack of awareness that readers may not be viewing things through an American, baby-boom lens.
Hey, I applaud the ability to throw out a wall of text like that. That would take me long enough that my ADD would kick in and I'd delete it and walk away without finishing the post.
However, the ALL CAPS SENTANCES, use of multiple exclamation points!!! and excessive ellipses............. sets off the 'old man yells at cloud' filter, and it goes in the TL/DR file.

But then, I'm a snarky, cynical MTB-riding Gen-Xer, so you can't expect much better from me.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 06-01-21, 10:23 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Is it better or worse than Jim from Boston's "conversation" threads? I really don't mind either. It takes all kinds to make an interesting forum, and no one is forced to read everything posted.
Old 06-01-21, 11:03 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
And finally, when you reached the end of authoring this tome did you really truly expect it would be read in its entirety or no?
An even better question would be: How did he even know he'd reached the end? Surely he could coax out a few more paragraphs.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 06-01-21, 11:09 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
But then, I'm a snarky, cynical MTB-riding Gen-Xer, so you can't expect much better from me.
I'm even more confused than most. Depending on which popular definition you choose to follow, I am either a very late Boomer, a very early Gen-Xer or I was born right at the stroke of midnight in-between both camps and am thus neither. Or both.

And for the record.... Sting Rays (and their imitators) were cool - when we were kids. BMX bikes were and still are stupid.
Old 06-01-21, 11:32 AM
bullwrinkle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Never let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory

Perhaps the OP is thinking of the Raleigh Chopper? Again, the British don't consider themselves European but what the heck... run with it.
I think sting rays bikes were responsible for fueling American youths love for biking and biking culture. I know that most of the kids I knew around then graduated directly from sting rays to ten speed bikes around junior high and continued bicycling for the rest of their lives and have nothing but fond memories of those sting ray bikes as do I. Just a great bike...
Old 06-01-21, 12:06 PM
DocJames
Observational Theorist

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by reflector guy
and for the record.... Sting rays (and their imitators) were cool - when we were kids. Bmx bikes were and still are stupid.
shots fired!
Likes For DocJames:
Old 06-01-21, 01:22 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Hey, I applaud the ability to throw out a wall of text like that. That would take me long enough that my ADD would kick in and I'd delete it and walk away without finishing the post.
However, the ALL CAPS SENTANCES, use of multiple exclamation points!!! and excessive ellipses............. sets off the 'old man yells at cloud' filter, and it goes in the TL/DR file.

I'm with ya. I care deeply, you know? But, eventually I'm predisposed to decide that nothing will change, roll my eyes, and move on.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 06-01-21, 02:47 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
As someone that grew up in a midwestern suburb in the 60's, riding a bike was not something that was an organized event, it was just something you did. You rode bikes to the comic book store or the public pool, or just rode around. It was a way to pass the time as opposed to an activity or sport. I don't even recall knowing there was such a thing as a bicycle race until I was mostly passed the bike riding stage of adolescence.

For how we used bikes, stingrays were ideal. Good for doing wheelies or riding in a field or just riding in circles in the street. A road bike would have been a lot less fun.
Old 06-01-21, 03:49 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
And for the record.... Sting Rays (and their imitators) were cool - when we were kids. BMX bikes were and still are stupid.
Hah ha; Okay, Boomer
Old 06-01-21, 04:58 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Yeah, maybe the real issue was not encouraging kids to go from those bikes to the next level once they outgrew them. But I can't help but think the unnecessarily heavy, bechromed, style over substance retro style was carried on for too long. It for sure affected the way bikes were made in the US into the 80s, anyway.
Well... motorcycles probably had a play in it as well. People were wanting choppers, bobbers, dressers, baggers, sometimes dirtbikes and scramblers. Versus anything fast and sporty. What was a kids alternative to a chopper or cruiser; Stingrays and beach cruisers- well pretty much beach cruisers since a Stingray is basically a childs beach cruiser. It's not just because of options that was available.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody: