Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A very interesting mix and match of a bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A very interesting mix and match of a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-21, 08:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixScout
Except the wheels are smaller than the original so theh have long reach brakes. The stem and bars are from something a decade newer than the frame. So it is a hack job.
No, those are OEM brakes on an OEM fork and frame. The manufacturer didn’t want to go through the trouble of installing cantilever brake posts...cost too much...and used long reach BMX style brakes. The brakes are stamped steel and barely functional. I’ve seen...and scraped more of these BSO abominations...enough of these to have nightmares about them. They are of such low quality that we don’t even give them away. Every one that ends up in the scrapyard is a public service.

The stem and bars are from something a decade newer than the frame. So it is a hack job.
Again, no. The stem is a stamped steel stem that is very common this kind of bike. The stem is made from a piece of flat metal that is rolled to make the round part of the stem without any kind of welding...electricity is expensive...and the head of the stem is rolled to fit the bars. I’d even say the Grip Shift shifters are OEM.

There is nothing special, notable, or even valuable about this escapee from the recycler. The only thing notable...and most valuable part of the bike...is the rattle can paint job. To give whoever did the job, they didn’t go the normal route of painting everything.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-01-21 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-01-21, 08:55 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
It's a first/second generation atb made to slot into the merging market before genre specific bikes were made.
There were good atb's like Ritchey's and Gary Fishers and then a bunch of hob knobbed bikes made with mix match parts straight from the factory. This was lower quality but interesting as a snapshot of bikes just before the mtb boom. Ashtabula crank, chrome steel bars pressed stay drop out joints, stamped dropouts, stamped caliper brakes, 2x5 or 5 gears... The twist shifts are not original. It would have had thumbies.

They were what they were. I did my first bike tour on one in the 80's Calgary to Vancouver. I distinctly remember meeting a rider on a "real" mtb in Keromeos who had an Al frame and 3x gearing with a granny gear that made riding Copper Mine Hill much easier.

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 06-01-21, 09:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I checked out the guy's other listings--and as others have pointed out, this isn't the bash together you think it is. He had this same bike listed for $150. His other bikes are all Walmart-type stuff, sort of cleaned up and sold for prices more than what you'd pay new.

He's trying to take advantage of the bike shortage, picking up junk bikes and trying to make them look good enough for someone who's desperate for transport.
We call that the free enterprise system Which makes heavy use of the term "Caveat Emptor"
Old 06-01-21, 10:07 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I live in Philly. There is nothing special or unique about that bike. You have not stumbled onto anything groundbreaking or culturally significant. Rides like that are pretty common. I could take you to at least one storefront stall full of bikes like this for sale.

Your post is not any different than posting a photo of a hooptie in the big city and saying it represents a type of vehicle for those for those who need cheap, bang-around city wheels.

Maybe you need to get out the house more and experience how many other people live.

BTW...The cassette and chain look mighty rusty. Probably left outside for long periods. May even be stolen.
And you would be wrong with that comparison. But I could take you into the Lehigh Valley of PA or Long Beach CA and there are no shops that sell this but you see them from time to time. That you see them all the time is unique to you and does not mean it is common everywhere.
Old 06-01-21, 10:10 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
That was addressed upthread as likely false by cyccommute and I agree. Again, if you don’t know what you’re looking at, one can concoct any number of “interesting” theories, but the truth of this bike is extremely mundane. It’s an extremely low-quality bike— literally as cheap as bikes come— which has only made it to today probably ecause it was not ridden much. I see no indication it has been lovingly maintained over the past 30 years, out of necessity or otherwise, and actually suspect it was cheaply tarted up for sale to some sucker. I mean, there’s paint overspray on the rims and brake bits, fresh looking electrical tape, no decals, a rusty chain, hastily positioned brake levers, and heavily yellowed, brittle spoke protector. It’s pure folly to believe this is some example of the “necessary ingenuity of poverty.”
I'm not sure how any of this disqualifies anything I said.

Cheap bike: check.
A hack job: check
Probably kept by someone with no mainteance skills yet ridden anyway: check

Now you need to prove it is not: “necessary ingenuity of poverty.”
Old 06-01-21, 10:12 AM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, those are OEM brakes on an OEM fork and frame. The manufacturer didn’t want to go through the trouble of installing cantilever brake posts...cost too much...and used long reach BMX style brakes. The brakes are stamped steel and barely functional. I’ve seen...and scraped more of these BSO abominations...enough of these to have nightmares about them. They are of such low quality that we don’t even give them away. Every one that ends up in the scrapyard is a public service.

Again, no. The stem is a stamped steel stem that is very common this kind of bike. The stem is made from a piece of flat metal that is rolled to make the round part of the stem without any kind of welding...electricity is expensive...and the head of the stem is rolled to fit the bars. I’d even say the Grip Shift shifters are OEM.

There is nothing special, notable, or even valuable about this escapee from the recycler. The only thing notable...and most valuable part of the bike...is the rattle can paint job. To give whoever did the job, they didn’t go the normal route of painting everything.
Ok prove what you say. Show us new build examples of that, and show this is representative of that, and if you can I will concede the point.
Old 06-01-21, 10:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts

Seems you missed the post above about the other listings. And it’s not being kept. It’s for sale like others.

Time to update my iggy list.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-01-21, 10:19 AM
indyfabz

And you would be wrong with that comparison. But I could take you into the Lehigh Valley of PA or Long Beach CA and there are no shops that sell this but you see them from time to time. That you see them all the time is unique to you and does not mean it is common everywhere.
It’s not being sold in the Lehigh Valley, which I’ve ridden in more times than I can remember. It’s listed in Philly. I even recognize the style of manhole cover. See bikes like this every day. If you find this bike interesting you really do need to get out the house more.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-01-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-01-21, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Ok prove what you say. Show us new build examples of that, and show this is representative of that, and if you can I will concede the point.

I'm sure we're all holding our breaths waiting for that.
Old 06-01-21, 10:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Nothing "interesting" about this. The rest is just details.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-01-21, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

Uh, sure. Prove the negative. Nice burden shift.

It's obvious that the seller is a guy who "fixes up" old crummy bikes, all you have to do to see that is to click on his name on Facebook. Where you got the idea that the wheel size had been changed or that it's been ridden at all in the past two decades
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-01-21, 01:07 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Can I find exact examples? No. But there are plenty similar examples that show the same elements. For example, this Huffy Scout looks exactly with the same brakes. Conversion from a road bike? Probably not.

Huffy Cherokee. Probably mid80s given the bull moose bars. Again, similar brakes, crank, and drivetrain.

Newer version of the Cherokee. How do I know? The flat bars and stem very similar to the one in your pictures. Bull Moose bars fell out of favor by the mid80s and were mostly gone by the 90s.

And here are two Huffys from a 1990 J.C. Penney catalog. Notice the same elements like Aushtabula crank, long reach stamped brakes, plastic clips for the cabling, and cheap stamped steel stem.

And here’s Huffy’s hybrid version. They have 26” wheels and the same long reach side pull. Note the distance between the fork and the tire, then compare it your picture. It’s easy to see the similarities and to note that they aren’t due to a wheel change.

Although I hate to admit it, I’ve seen and actually worked on enough of them that I’ve become something of an expert on them.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-01-21 at 01:10 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-01-21, 01:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Damn, FelixScout ! You just got done by Huffys out of a JC Penny catalog!! Hahaha!! That suuuuuuuuucks!
Old 06-01-21, 03:38 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
At the bottom picture, there's a weird metallic object sticking out of the saddle at the right.

The object is not present in the top picture. The description seems like a robot from the 80's wrote it.
That's what looks to be a red bull can on the ground by the wheel of that Silverado.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 06-01-21, 03:58 PM
indyfabz

Damn, FelixScout ! You just got done by Huffys out of a JC Penny catalog!! Hahaha!! That suuuuuuuuucks!
Also known as getting owned.
Old 06-01-21, 03:59 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Just to clarify for everyone, my interest in this bike is not to buy it but what it represents: The sort of needs based bike creation for those who need a bike. Though the new ad posted in the quote below looks like someone trying to jump on the bike shortage.

So the initial bash together bike is interesting to me because it is the kind of bike one can find among those who need a bike as a primary mode of transport when the normal routes of BMX bikes and Xmart bikes are are too much. In my time living in much poorer neighborhoods you would run into these hack job bikes here and there. Usually the wheels were mismatched or the fork was from something obviously different but these are people who are doing what they can to keep this mode of transport going and that means taking these unconventional routes. This represents that.

But bicycles are mobility for everyone at their core, are they not? And yes there are many levels and roles in that broad definition.
It looks like a cobbled bike, because of the crank and crown fork... but it is a mtb. You'll find odd stuff sometimes on cheapo mtbs. I got a Huffy Koza right now that has trigger shifters and internal cable routing. I think it's from the 90's but I can't find it online.

It is a mountainbike. the space between the fork and wheel is actually common on practically any bike not a roadbike and those are regular sidepull brakes. Cheapo mountainbikes came with 2X drivetrains for some reason. Probably because of the cheapo roadbikes. It's actually one reason I like them. I got one off a Murray once that was a 52/64. It has to be an early 80's bike with that crowned fork.
Old 06-01-21, 04:28 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by cyccommute

I've turned a few of these in to decent bikes. Before you get back on your snobcycle; they can be decent as a general purpose, don't expect anything special bike, if you know how to build them. Like a Worksman with gears.
Old 06-01-21, 05:05 PM
cyccommute 

I really wanted to show Huffys in the Monkey Ward catalog but I think they went out of business before mountain bikes

Old 06-01-21, 05:12 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I've turned a few of these in to decent bikes. Before you get back on your snobcycle; they can be decent as a general purpose, don't expect anything special bike, if you know how to build them. Like a Worksman with gears.
No. Not these kinds of bikes. A Sears 10 speed from the early 70s was an okay bike. There are even models of Huffys that are worthwhile. This bike has dropouts that are crimped into the seat and chain stays. If they are welded, the welder was just waved over the bike so that drips of slag fell onto the frame. The brakes don’t. The fork is made by smashing the round tubes of the fork and then cutting a slot into them. Basically the bike is about 4 feet below the bottom of the barrel. They are a danger to their riders. The only saving grace of these bikes is that they are so poorly made that they won’t roll far enough to be a danger to their riders.

There are literally millions of used bikes that are a better choice to spend any amount of time on.

Last edited by cyccommute; 06-01-21 at 05:16 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-01-21, 05:57 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
That yuuge clearance at the fork bridge, plus the mismatched hubs tell me this is most likely an old 27" bike with 26" wheels.
I'd assume the fork was designed for 590 wheels.

PRODUCT MANAGER: OK, how about forks, for 559 wheels with cantilever brake bosses?
CHINESE MANUFACTURER: $1.80 apiece if you order 200000 of them.
PM: Too much. What else you got?
​CM: We have forks we put on 3-speed townie bikes, but no cantilever bosses for $1.10 apiece.
PM: Will they clear a 2" tire?

Old 06-01-21, 06:42 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Bruh. That grey-and-black one (item 'D') looks like my first 'geared' bike: a Murray 'Baja' ATB. Right down to the plastic thumb shifters and the gray plastic disc chainring guard.
I feel triggered
Old 06-01-21, 08:01 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Bruh. That grey-and-black one (item 'D') looks like my first 'geared' bike: a Murray 'Baja' ATB. Right down to the plastic thumb shifters and the gray plastic disc chainring guard.
I feel triggered
Sure…but the OP is acting like they’ve never seen a Murray before. Entirely possible for a noob, but so take the learning, don’t make up foolish theories about the noble creativity of poverty just to get pwned by a JC Penny catalog. Oof! Ouch…dude, that suuuucks.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-01-21, 10:23 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I

Your post is not any different than posting a photo of a Hooptie n the big city and saying it represents a type of vehicle for those for those who need cheap, bang-around city wheels.

n.
Do Hoopties ride on air shocks with 24" wheels and paint schemes that feature either Mountain Dew and Skittles logos, or metalflake so heavy it could cut your hand?
Old 06-01-21, 11:20 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Do Hoopties ride on air shocks with 24" wheels and paint schemes that feature either Mountain Dew and Skittles logos, or metalflake so heavy it could cut your hand?
A Hooptie is just the urban equivalent for 'beater' although the classic definition is a 'B'-body GM, like a Buick or Olds, something that would have been a 'nice' car, once.

What you're describing is a Donk, with the giant wheels and look-at-me paint and graphics. Ironically, the same 70s-80s Detroit land yachts are sought after as the base material. Properly done, they're full-on show cars; but if you have to ask why, you probably wouldn't get it.

Hooptie

Donk
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 06-02-21, 05:17 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by DMC707
See above for correct definition of hooptie. I used to have one. Side view mirror held on with duct tape, no hubcaps, dents and faded paint. 18 years old but still got me where I needed to go until some idiot kid totaled it while it was parked outside the GF’s house in Jersey.
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.