Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 07-02-21, 10:15 AM
  #6251  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 12,001

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 557 Posts
So, like many things, turns out I had to ride the bike a bit to see if the tight tolerances on my brake job were working. Old TT brakes with poor adjustability and modern wide rims are not the best of friends.

I discovered that the rear was rubbing quite a bit after my 30' z4 interval on Fiesta Island. My speed wasn't awful but it did sort of feel like I should have been a bit quicker given the lack of wind. Looks like it's gonna go back in the stand at some point over the weekend.
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is online now  
Old 07-02-21, 05:01 PM
  #6252  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,325

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,130 Posts
The big boss replied all to an office-wide email this morning. I think everyone just pretended they didn't see it.
caloso is online now  
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-02-21, 06:02 PM
  #6253  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,325

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,130 Posts
Also, my son had an interview at 3 for a job at one of the local bike shops. It's 5 and he still seems to be there, which I take as a good sign.
caloso is online now  
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-02-21, 06:21 PM
  #6254  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,401
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 322 Posts
My kid is presently moving out and heading back to NYC to live with friends.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-04-21, 06:46 AM
  #6255  
wattsupdoc
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just woke up; did r/velo become r/bicycling over the last year?
wattsupdoc is offline  
Old 07-04-21, 08:51 PM
  #6256  
carpediemracing 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tariffville, CT
Posts: 15,258

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 53 Posts
story. so about 2 years ago now, when he was 7, Junior installed a game by accident on my phone, Lords Mobile. I quickly googled it, didn't seem to have malware type stuff, it was a (from what I saw) some 5v5 hero battle thing, and so I was okay with it. He was playing a 5v5 type Star Wars game when it came up.

Junior would ask me every now and then, "LM?" meaning "Lords Mobile". I'd let him play for a bit.

About 2/3 year ago he's doing LM and I look and see a castle, farms, barracks, mine, quarry, workshop, academy... I'm like, whoa, what the heck is this?
"What's this game?!"
"LM"
"I thought it was a hero battle game"
"Well, to get hero stuff you have to do all this other stuff."
"You built all this?"
"Yes."
"Why is your food blinking red""
"I don't know, it always does that."

After some quick poking around I learned he had negative food production - he was spending more than he was making. I figured that couldn't be good.

"I think you need more farms"

I did some quick fixes, got stuff under control, and he battled.

I asked him about the user name, "asxc"
"Oh, that's a text box, you just type in whatever you want, like this" and he swiped his fingers across the keyboard.
"What about the nickname?" (it's udhhsq7)
"same thing."
"How did you get into the guild?"
"Oh, there's a screen where you just check every box and a guild picks you."
"You checked every box?"
"Yes, there were a lot of them."

Ends up that if your'e not active for 4 or 5 weeks you get kicked. he never got kicked.

I asked about the chat box.
"You just type whatever you want".

Apparently it auto filled from prior text inputs, like from my texts to the Missus. I scrolled through some of the history.
"Samurai bike master" or something like it. I realized that it must have been when I got a butt dial and an old racing friend of mine, from 20 years ago, was describing me in a very drunk, slurred voice. "... and this guy, he's a samurai on a bike" or something like that. I thought it was hilarious and texted it to the Missus. So when Junior started doing his "text swipe" and hit "sa" it autofilled some stuff. Somehow the others in the guild didn't think "what the heck is this player doing?"

So I said to the guild that my 7, now 8, and turning 9 year old, installed the game, has been playing for a year plus, and sorry for anything he might have done wrong. Apparently he never did anything wrong.

Guild leader changed once when the then-leader couldn't play much. He deferred to someone who was pretty active, tried to get others involved, etc. That was maybe 6 months ago.

New guild leader is changing jobs, can't play much. And to my complete surprise, he asked me (and Junior ) to be the guild leader. I asked Junior if he wanted to be leader, if he thought it was fair. He said he wanted to be leader so I told the leader yes.

So now we're the leader of a tiny, tiny guild. That change happened two days ago.

Junior was playing LM very intently yesterday
"What are you doing?"
"Inviting players who aren't in a guild into our guild"
"Oh."
He looked at me. "That's what a guild leader does."

So if you play LM and want to look us up, message me. We're a mostly F2P (free to play - we don't pay for stuff), casual (like I'm a casual racer maybe), play-when-we-can kind of guild. I love working together to get stuff done, it's like teamwork in a bike race. We have a few actives, a few more sort of actives, and a rotating group of new players that decide they don't like the game or something.
__________________
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
carpediemracing is offline  
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-04-21, 11:21 PM
  #6257  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
story. so about 2 years ago now, when he was 7, Junior installed a game by accident on my phone, Lords Mobile. I quickly googled it, didn't seem to have malware type stuff, it was a (from what I saw) some 5v5 hero battle thing, and so I was okay with it. He was playing a 5v5 type Star Wars game when it came up.

Junior would ask me every now and then, "LM?" meaning "Lords Mobile". I'd let him play for a bit.

About 2/3 year ago he's doing LM and I look and see a castle, farms, barracks, mine, quarry, workshop, academy... I'm like, whoa, what the heck is this?
"What's this game?!"
"LM"
"I thought it was a hero battle game"
"Well, to get hero stuff you have to do all this other stuff."
"You built all this?"
"Yes."
"Why is your food blinking red""
"I don't know, it always does that."

After some quick poking around I learned he had negative food production - he was spending more than he was making. I figured that couldn't be good.

"I think you need more farms"

I did some quick fixes, got stuff under control, and he battled.

I asked him about the user name, "asxc"
"Oh, that's a text box, you just type in whatever you want, like this" and he swiped his fingers across the keyboard.
"What about the nickname?" (it's udhhsq7)
"same thing."
"How did you get into the guild?"
"Oh, there's a screen where you just check every box and a guild picks you."
"You checked every box?"
"Yes, there were a lot of them."

Ends up that if your'e not active for 4 or 5 weeks you get kicked. he never got kicked.

I asked about the chat box.
"You just type whatever you want".

Apparently it auto filled from prior text inputs, like from my texts to the Missus. I scrolled through some of the history.
"Samurai bike master" or something like it. I realized that it must have been when I got a butt dial and an old racing friend of mine, from 20 years ago, was describing me in a very drunk, slurred voice. "... and this guy, he's a samurai on a bike" or something like that. I thought it was hilarious and texted it to the Missus. So when Junior started doing his "text swipe" and hit "sa" it autofilled some stuff. Somehow the others in the guild didn't think "what the heck is this player doing?"

So I said to the guild that my 7, now 8, and turning 9 year old, installed the game, has been playing for a year plus, and sorry for anything he might have done wrong. Apparently he never did anything wrong.

Guild leader changed once when the then-leader couldn't play much. He deferred to someone who was pretty active, tried to get others involved, etc. That was maybe 6 months ago.

New guild leader is changing jobs, can't play much. And to my complete surprise, he asked me (and Junior ) to be the guild leader. I asked Junior if he wanted to be leader, if he thought it was fair. He said he wanted to be leader so I told the leader yes.

So now we're the leader of a tiny, tiny guild. That change happened two days ago.

Junior was playing LM very intently yesterday
"What are you doing?"
"Inviting players who aren't in a guild into our guild"
"Oh."
He looked at me. "That's what a guild leader does."

So if you play LM and want to look us up, message me. We're a mostly F2P (free to play - we don't pay for stuff), casual (like I'm a casual racer maybe), play-when-we-can kind of guild. I love working together to get stuff done, it's like teamwork in a bike race. We have a few actives, a few more sort of actives, and a rotating group of new players that decide they don't like the game or something.
That's funny.

I played Clash of Clans with my nephew for a while.
Enthalpic is offline  
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-05-21, 04:33 PM
  #6258  
ntnyln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 53 Posts
Looking for any help I can get, so I took the leap today and put a waxed chain on my TT bike for the upcoming races. Living in an apartment and managing chain cleaning and waxing is going to be interesting.
ntnyln is offline  
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-05-21, 07:49 PM
  #6259  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,587

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
The beeping has returned. It seems to be tied to wet weather. I crawled under the house, sump pump is working fine, has no battery backup or speaker.

I'm at a loss again.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 07-06-21, 04:44 PM
  #6260  
ntnyln
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 53 Posts
The roller coaster ride continues. It looks likes I am going to get that big promotion after all. It's getting hard to keep up with it all.
ntnyln is offline  
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-07-21, 09:15 AM
  #6261  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2830 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 818 Posts
So I was wearing this t shirt (well, sort of, mine's a different color) to physical therapy today, and the receptionist told me that she might have to steal my shirt. I was about ready to come back with an office space comment when she started talking about how she'd been to a couple of his concerts and his book signing. She was trying to read what the text said so she could figure out what show it was from. I sat down quickly and faced away from her so she couldn't read it because I didn't want her to think I was making fun of her favorite singer.
himespau is offline  
Old 07-07-21, 11:09 AM
  #6262  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,388

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
So I was wearing this t shirt (well, sort of, mine's a different color) to physical therapy today, and the receptionist told me that she might have to steal my shirt. I was about ready to come back with an office space comment when she started talking about how she'd been to a couple of his concerts and his book signing. She was trying to read what the text said so she could figure out what show it was from. I sat down quickly and faced away from her so she couldn't read it because I didn't want her to think I was making fun of her favorite singer.
I used to have sound clips from office space set up for my window's sounds at work. Every night when I shut my computer off it would do the bit - "What if we're still doin' this when we're 50? - Samir: It would be nice to have that kind of job security."

Email notification was the server making the fake laugh sounds. I would switch between this and the Monty Python Holy Grail arrow in the chest "message for you sir" sound bite.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-07-21, 04:46 PM
  #6263  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts
New x rays again today, surgeon says the bone is effectively healed and it's time to be aggressive with physiotherapy.

Up until now the therapist did not have clearance from the surgeon to push... all motion had to come from me - not anymore. I fear my appointment tomorrow will be unpleasant.

#Goldmember
Enthalpic is offline  
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-08-21, 04:20 PM
  #6264  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts

I am now part guitar.
#Goldmember

Last edited by Enthalpic; 07-08-21 at 04:30 PM.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 07-08-21, 05:23 PM
  #6265  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 17,316
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3290 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 1,433 Posts
That's quite the contraption.
big john is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 06:22 AM
  #6266  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,199
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2830 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 818 Posts
Wow.
himespau is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 06:56 AM
  #6267  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,401
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 322 Posts
wow. I thought I was a mess.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 08:03 AM
  #6268  
Hermes
Version 3.0
 
Hermes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,502

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 753 Posts
I will never complain again.
Hermes is offline  
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-09-21, 08:41 AM
  #6269  
cmh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 154 Posts
Wow. Hope you aren't in that get up for long.
cmh is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 09:22 AM
  #6270  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,587

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Is that just a temporary thing you take on and off for PT? I wonder how much that high grade medical attachment device (safety pin) would've cost here.
Flatballer is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 11:37 AM
  #6271  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts
I only wear it for 30 minutes.

Kinda scary looking eh?

It's called a dynamic splint.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 07-09-21 at 11:45 AM.
Enthalpic is offline  
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-09-21, 11:43 AM
  #6272  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,388

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 411 Posts
I apologize - my first instinct is to grab a tensiometer and a spoke wrench when I see that. Man, I hope that works out for you.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-09-21, 12:04 PM
  #6273  
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001 View Post
I apologize - my first instinct is to grab a tensiometer and a spoke wrench when I see that. Man, I hope that works out for you.
I was expecting them to pull out a tool to measure the string tension, but they didn't.

The thing looks worse than it is. Applies a gentle stretch for 30min then you take it off.
Enthalpic is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 12:39 PM
  #6274  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,401
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 322 Posts
When I did my elbow I had to wear something similar several times a days. It was, to use a technical term, ass.
gsteinb is offline  
Old 07-09-21, 05:01 PM
  #6275  
caloso
Senior Member
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Posts: 40,325

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,130 Posts
I had that MP sound file. I'd alternate it with HAL 9000 saying "there is a message for you."
caloso is online now  
Likes For caloso:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.