Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 07-05-21, 08:33 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
So…it’s been a year. Oh what a year.

My 10yo bought into a crazy idea…ride from Buffalo NY to Western NH. I can’t outride him because that’s a jerk move…but I do need to be a pack mule and carry all the things. Are there any Centurion touring bikes or should I stick with my Shogun tourer?

thanks guys. I’ve thought of you often since I last posted.
Here is one that looks like it might fit, but I'd keep looking for one of the later models, preferably with bar-cons and cantilevers. They pop up pretty often here in Boston, which is not too far from you right?
Old 07-07-21, 03:53 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
I'm looking! I think the container with the 86's must have been lost at sea in a storm.There might have been a song written about it. I think it starts like this"

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the ship carrying 86 Prestiges
The ocean is is said never gives up her dead
When a big storm rages and wheezes"
Or maybe not.
So seypat, you have the '85?
So the '86 is the one I Now Want!
Possibly, it just does not exist.
The hunt is On.
Old 07-07-21, 06:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
So seypat, you have the '85?
So the '86 is the one I Now Want!
Possibly, it just does not exist.
The hunt is On.
The 86 is/was a grail bike for me. I don't know if any got to the States or not. It could have been the paint job. I really dig the Lavender, but maybe the buying public doesn't as a whole. The IM was taking off also. Quite a jump in price from the IM up to the Prestige. Maybe people couldn't justify the price.

The other grail bike I used to look for(it shall remain nameless) is more common, but also hard to get. Since I ride common sizes. when one pops up it quickly gets scooped up by someone else across the country for more coin than I want to pay. That's life.

Trying to get in the mindset for the trip back to north Texas. Currently playing music that will get me in that place and mood. Whiskey Myer's "Broken Window Serenade" is rolling at the moment.

Last edited by seypat; 07-07-21 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-07-21, 05:09 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce View Post
Here is one that looks like it might fit, but I'd keep looking for one of the later models, preferably with bar-cons and cantilevers. They pop up pretty often here in Boston, which is not too far from you right?

I am near Boston and that is my size! A little more than I’m looking to pay, though…
Old 07-08-21, 01:18 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
I am near Boston and that is my size! A little more than I’m looking to pay, though…
thats way to much for a mid 70's LeMans it looks like. not actually a touring bike.. or in Centurion's case a Pro-Tour.

Although the frame looks to be in great shape the rest of the bike would need a teardown and rebuilt. and for that money it should be pristine and needed nothing. even then its about $250 to expensive..
Old 07-10-21, 06:39 PM
texaspandj

The last year Ironman was 1989 and here's mine.
I think I may end up doing the HnH on this One.
Any Texans joining?

I need to take some more pics of my Ironman bikes.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-10-21, 08:46 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Any Texans joining?

I love that color.
Old 07-10-21, 09:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,426 Posts
Any Texans joining?

I'm still a "maybe" for the HnHH. I've felt like a zombie the past several months, struggling to average better than 12 mph on the bike. My Strava and other activities logs showed a steep nosedive since summer 2020, coinciding with when I began to feel puny around October. I switched to jogging, but it didn't really help.

But during my endocrinology appointment last month my doc confirmed my thyroid level was low. They increased my dosage of thyroid med and I've begun to feel better and stronger the past week or two.

If I can manage a solo 50 mile or longer ride this month, I'll consider that good enough to try the HnHH. I haven't managed anything longer than 90 minutes on the bike this year, mostly rides of around 20-25 miles.
Old 07-10-21, 10:06 PM
G.Varela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts

I have a confession to make. I was given this bike, but I was not able to save it. Everything on that thing was seized up to the n'th degree. I dont know why but I've not have luck with Japanese steel.
Old 07-11-21, 07:58 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I'm still a "maybe" for the HnHH. I've felt like a zombie the past several months, struggling to average better than 12 mph on the bike. My Strava and other activities logs showed a steep nosedive since summer 2020, coinciding with when I began to feel puny around October. I switched to jogging, but it didn't really help.

But during my endocrinology appointment last month my doc confirmed my thyroid level was low. They increased my dosage of thyroid med and I've begun to feel better and stronger the past week or two.

If I can manage a solo 50 mile or longer ride this month, I'll consider that good enough to try the HnHH. I haven't managed anything longer than 90 minutes on the bike this year, mostly rides of around 20-25 miles.
I'm right with you on that 12mph thing.
IS there a 50 miler?
Old 07-11-21, 08:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

I'm right with you on that 12mph thing.
IS there a 50 miler?
Yup, there are several ride routes:
  • 100 miles
  • 100 k
  • 50 miles
  • 25 miles

But if I'm gonna go, I want to do the full 100 miles. I've been working on my heat adaptation, jogging 5-7 miles in the hottest, most humid part of the day. And I'm trying a TENS unit, one of those little zapper machines that constrict muscles with tiny electrical impulses, to see if it helps with the neck problems. If I can translate heat adaptation to the bike, and my neck holds up, I think I can do the full century.

A few local friends who've ridden it said they got off course their first time and ended riding either a shorter or longer route than expected. Other than that they said it was a great experience, even those who aren't hardcore cyclists.
Old 07-11-21, 11:05 PM
texaspandj

Yup, there are several ride routes:
  • 100 miles
  • 100 k
  • 50 miles
  • 25 miles

But if I'm gonna go, I want to do the full 100 miles. I've been working on my heat adaptation, jogging 5-7 miles in the hottest, most humid part of the day. And I'm trying a TENS unit, one of those little zapper machines that constrict muscles with tiny electrical impulses, to see if it helps with the neck problems. If I can translate heat adaptation to the bike, and my neck holds up, I think I can do the full century.

A few local friends who've ridden it said they got off course their first time and ended riding either a shorter or longer route than expected. Other than that they said it was a great experience, even those who aren't hardcore cyclists.
Well Dang it, if you do the hunerd I will too.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-11-21, 11:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Well Dang it, if you do the hunerd I will too.
We don't hafta be fast. All we gotta do is finish.
Old 07-12-21, 01:15 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 57 Posts
Hey I'm still alive! Anyone remember me? I retired and started a long time dream of rebuilding my old hot rod. I have managed to ride a little but have slowly gone down hill. I'll be back and embarrass some youngsters again on my Purple Haze. Just have to finish the hot rod and get back in shape.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 07-12-21, 04:06 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by G.Varela View Post

I have a confession to make. I was given this bike, but I was not able to save it. Everything on that thing was seized up to the n'th degree. I dont know why but I've not have luck with Japanese steel.
Keep trying. Maybe one day, things will come loose.
Old 07-12-21, 06:21 AM
seypat

The dude who sold me the Prestige has acquired a grey/blue "Smoke on the water?" IM. Says it's a 64cm. Told him I'd put the word out on the street.

The man, the myth, the legend himself "Mr. Nobody" and his femme fatale have been putting in hardore training miles. They're doing a ride in a couple of weeks called RAW. 227 miles in one day. Dang, is all I can say! I think RAW stands for Ride Across Wisconsin. In reality it probably means what your body feels like after biking 227 miles in a day.

I am shifting my riding to the hottest part of the day to acclimate to the heat. Here that usually means low to mid 90s and high humidity. Probably going to gear my bike a litle on the high side so I can lope along at a slow cadence like a triathlete to reduce heat buildup. Might put on a dual seatpost bottle cage to increase fluid capacity. Have to check and see how close the SAGs are to each other.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-12-21, 06:28 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Hey I'm still alive! Anyone remember me? I retired and started a long time dream of rebuilding my old hot rod. I have managed to ride a little but have slowly gone down hill. I'll be back and embarrass some youngsters again on my Purple Haze. Just have to finish the hot rod and get back in shape.
My flight gets into DFW Thursday evening Aug. 26 at 6:10pm. Depending on how fast I get the rental car/get on the road to WF, I might stop by and take a look at the hot rod/converse if that's OK. I'll send you a PM the week before.
Old 07-12-21, 06:30 AM
seypat

LSD is the way to go. Better to be the turtle than the hare.

Last edited by seypat; 07-12-21 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-12-21, 06:33 AM
seypat

Took another look. Is that a combo bottle holder/sissy bar? Never seen one like that.
Old 07-12-21, 07:52 AM
G.Varela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Took another look. Is that a combo bottle holder/sissy bar? Never seen one like that.
Yes it was. I thought it was odd too.
Old 07-12-21, 11:27 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

...I am shifting my riding to the hottest part of the day to acclimate to the heat. Here that usually means low to mid 90s and high humidity. Probably going to gear my bike a litle on the high side so I can lope along at a slow cadence like a triathlete to reduce heat buildup. Might put on a dual seatpost bottle cage to increase fluid capacity. Have to check and see how close the SAGs are to each other.
Heat adaptation was harder than usual for me this year, partly because of the unusually hot, humid and windy conditions in June. We went from spring to the kind of hot summer weather we usually get in August, without the usual transition period.

Last summer I got a hydration backpack but used it only once, on an attempted summertime century. Turned out to be the hottest day of the year, I got started late, so by noon I realized a full century wouldn't be practical. I looped back home and finished with about 50 miles. I'd already finished both insulated bottles and had on a few sips left in the 2-liter hydration pack. And my route didn't pass any convenience stores or places to refill. But it gave me an idea of how much water I'll really need for a full century, which means ensuring my route includes at least a couple of rest stops at refill stations.

This year I've been walking and jogging up to two hours with the full hydration backpack to get accustomed to the weight. I didn't need the full pack but wanted to be sure I could handle it for a longer bike ride.

It's not a great solution but not as bad as I'd expected.

One advantage is I chill the filled hydration bladder in the fridge, and the insulated backpack keeps it cool much longer than I'd expected, which also keeps my back a little cooler despite all the sweating.
Old 07-12-21, 02:32 PM
texaspandj

That may be my new mantra.
Actually I haven't ridden on the road since May. I've been riding our river walk on my gravel bike, it's the Centurion Comp TA that RT gifted me. It's just so much fun to ride and I don't have to be stressed about cars. Currently it's my most fun ride. I only do about 8 to 15 miles.
However, finally, I rode on the road yesterday. It seriously had been a while. I rode 20 then later another 17 with a friend. I felt surprisingly good. I rode my '85 with 8 speed Campy and forks from an '88 Ironman that RT gave me.
Son, the wheels are in motion.
I sent a link of HnH to my biking buddy and said we need to do this and used your line, " We don't hafta be fast. All we gotta do is finish." Like me he's not in great shape right now and I can't remember the last time we rode together.

I need to take new pics instead of recycling old ones. It has new tires on it now...and saddle is level.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-12-21 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-12-21, 02:48 PM
texaspandj

I remember that kinda luck with Ironman bikes was happening to someone else. RT suggested kissing a baby, flirting with an elderly, petting a strangers dog, saying hello to your neighbor, etc. Or something along those lines.
Try it! Just remember, No good deed goes unpunished.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 07-12-21, 07:32 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Easier to hang on to him while going uphill. Design flaw, IMO. Lots of power loss.
Old 07-12-21, 07:36 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

The slower you go, the better the investment/entertainment ratio on the entry fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.