Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi from New Hampshire

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from New Hampshire

Old 07-10-21, 03:56 PM
BertCooper

Bikes: Trek 414 or 412?, cannondale touring bike from 1993?, specialized hard rock, nashbar 4000x, etc. nothing fancy…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hi from New Hampshire

Hi from New Hampshire! I am a newbie here but have been riding since the god old Stingray days. Used to do some bike touring, way back in the day. (Nova Scotia, Newton-Montreal, Geneva- Munich, Villars-s-Ollon-Barcelona). Trying to get a couple of my old ones (Trek 412 or 414? - College Park Bicycles - 1981, blue Cannondale touring bike, 1993?, International Bicycles, Newton) in better riding shape. (27” wheels?) Looking forward to getting the wisdom of the devoted, learned masses…
Old 07-11-21, 04:29 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Welcome from a Texas Rider.

Old 07-12-21, 07:07 AM
BertCooper

Bikes: Trek 414 or 412?, cannondale touring bike from 1993?, specialized hard rock, nashbar 4000x, etc. nothing fancy…

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. Texas? Isn't it too hot in Texas to ride a bike?!
Old 07-12-21, 07:13 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I ride at Night to Get away from the Sun's Heat.

The Roads in the Day time get up to temps of 120*F

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-12-21, 07:28 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Hello! Also from NH. I’m in the southwest part of the state.
Old 07-13-21, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BertCooper
Hi from New Hampshire! I am a newbie here but have been riding since the god old Stingray days. Used to do some bike touring, way back in the day. (Nova Scotia, Newton-Montreal, Geneva- Munich, Villars-s-Ollon-Barcelona). Trying to get a couple of my old ones (Trek 412 or 414? - College Park Bicycles - 1981, blue Cannondale touring bike, 1993?, International Bicycles, Newton) in better riding shape. (27” wheels?) Looking forward to getting the wisdom of the devoted, learned masses…
Hey Bert, I'm in Nashua and ride around a lot of the southern half of the state and down into Mass. Which part of the state are you in?
Old 07-14-21, 09:16 AM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in moderately flat Concord. Haven't ridden down in your neck of the woods much, but used to live in MA (W. Newton, Newtonville) and occasionally did CRW rides. Rode a couple of times up here with the GSW (not to be confused with the Geological Society of Washington!).

You folks have any rail trails in the vicinity? I can't convince my wife and daughter of the joy of hills.
Old 07-14-21, 01:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm in moderately flat Concord. Haven't ridden down in your neck of the woods much, but used to live in MA (W. Newton, Newtonville) and occasionally did CRW rides. Rode a couple of times up here with the GSW (not to be confused with the Geological Society of Washington!).

You folks have any rail trails in the vicinity? I can't convince my wife and daughter of the joy of hills.

You've got a great one just north of you if you don't mind firmly packed gravel--the Northern Rail Trail goes from Boscawen all the way to the VT border in Lebanon NH (66 miles, I think). I've done the first 25 miles closest to Concord of it, and there's beautiful scenery including some very pretty falls and an old train depot that's a museum. It's a rail trail, so not a lot of hills, just one where it has to do an overpass over the road.
https://fnrt.org/wp-content/uploads/...for-2021-2.jpg
The one down here is paved, the Nashua River Rail Trail, 12.4 miles between Nashua and Ayer, MA.
Old 07-15-21, 01:58 PM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You've got a great one just north of you if you don't mind firmly packed gravel--the Northern Rail Trail goes from Boscawen all the way to the VT border in Lebanon NH (66 miles, I think). I've done the first 25 miles closest to Concord of it, and there's beautiful scenery including some very pretty falls and an old train depot that's a museum. It's a rail trail, so not a lot of hills, just one where it has to do an overpass over the road.
The one down here is paved, the Nashua River Rail Trail, 12.4 miles between Nashua and Ayer, MA.
I didn't think I'd like the Northern Rail Trail (imagining it was like the Minuteman or Cape Cod trails), but my younger daughter and I did the whole thing in segments last spring/early summer and I loved it! Couldn't convince her to do it in one shot, though. My wife had the better idea: a couple of weeks ago we parked along the trail a suitable distance away from Franklin, and rode the NRT to Franklin, stopped by Vulgar Brewing for a brew and pizza, and then pedaled back! She might not be game for hills, but she liked that. Any similar opportunities on the Nashua-Ayer rail trail?

(Hopefully, this will post. I am up to four five posts being flubbed because of rule issues (no photos yet, no links, too many posts in 24 hours). Oops - had to remove link to photo in quote- thwarted again!)
Old 07-15-21, 02:04 PM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I ride at Night to Get away from the Sun's Heat.
The Roads in the Day time get up to temps of 120*F
Awesome lights! So, do you have A/C too, or do you just tow a trailer with a cooler full of cold drinks?! What's it get to during the night, 95? Yikes!
(Mind you, when I was between jr & sr year in high school, working on an old DC townhouse renovation on Capitol Hill, our boss told us we'd get the rest of the day off with pay if the temperature got to 102. Heat didn't seem so bad back then, but DC wasn't 120 either!)
Old 07-15-21, 07:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I didn't think I'd like the Northern Rail Trail (imagining it was like the Minuteman or Cape Cod trails), but my younger daughter and I did the whole thing in segments last spring/early summer and I loved it! Couldn't convince her to do it in one shot, though. My wife had the better idea: a couple of weeks ago we parked along the trail a suitable distance away from Franklin, and rode the NRT to Franklin, stopped by Vulgar Brewing for a brew and pizza, and then pedaled back! She might not be game for hills, but she liked that. Any similar opportunities on the Nashua-Ayer rail trail?

(Hopefully, this will post. I am up to four five posts being flubbed because of rule issues (no photos yet, no links, too many posts in 24 hours). Oops - had to remove link to photo in quote- thwarted again!)

About 4.2 miles south of Nashua, the path goes through the old downtown Pepperell, and there's a nice ice cream/burger place there. Other option if yo do the 24.8 mile round trip is to stop at one of the several nice restaurants or Union Roasters in downtown Ayer, so halfway on the round trip. Fun encounter on the trail yesterday, a gray fox played chicken with me. It was a draw, we both veered off at the same time.
Old 08-04-21, 02:48 PM
BertCooper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
About 4.2 miles south of Nashua, the path goes through the old downtown Pepperell, and there's a nice ice cream/burger place there. Other option if yo do the 24.8 mile round trip is to stop at one of the several nice restaurants or Union Roasters in downtown Ayer, so halfway on the round trip. Fun encounter on the trail yesterday, a gray fox played chicken with me. It was a draw, we both veered off at the same time.
Thanks - that sounds like a good ride with one of my friends who bikes - might be marginally beyond my wife's preferred distance. Critters on the trails - we've had bald eagles (juvenile) next to the NRT in Boscawen, (and I think I saw an adult on the river in Franklin), turtles, loons on the ponds next to the trail, and lots of chipmunks (and their holes). A grey fox, though, that's pretty neat!
Likes For BertCooper:
Old 08-15-21, 07:46 AM
ganthercage

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i love new hamshir