Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Gold plated bungee jump...

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 07-14-21, 08:28 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10696 Post(s)
Liked 2,720 Times in 1,867 Posts

Some billionaire just took a ride to the edge of space... didn't go into orbit... just bounced off the top of "sky", slid under "space" and came back quickly enough to not miss dinner... And I hear some other billionaire is gonna do his own version. I suppose, what, with all that cash laying around, shooting off a giant bottle rocket just makes sense, eh?

Likes For genec:
Old 07-14-21, 02:57 PM
genec
genec

All that for some very interesting views... and about 3 minutes or so of weightlessness.

Old 07-14-21, 03:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15267 Post(s)
Liked 6,501 Times in 3,673 Posts
Folks are peeing in bottles at work so billionaires can afford their own space race.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-14-21, 04:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4270 Post(s)
Liked 2,236 Times in 1,442 Posts
They should have sent a poet.

Old 07-14-21, 04:45 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Folks are peeing in bottles at work so billionaires can afford their own space race.
Yeah, rather ridiculous...

Meanwhile, the rich get richer... and take joyrides.
Old 07-14-21, 05:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15267 Post(s)
Liked 6,501 Times in 3,673 Posts
Freeze dried gramps could have provided the entire homeless population with housing for a year for less $$$, but he won the space race. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-20-21, 12:42 PM
genec
genec

And now Bezos has done his bungee jump... so two billionaires that could have improved lives here on earth have gone off for a less than half a day into near space, just for bragging rights... real f'n humanitarians there.
Old 07-20-21, 12:48 PM
genec
genec

Hey, don't get me wrong... I think a space program has merit, both from the scientific and R&D aspect... but there were no experiments done on these "joy rides." The technology was already tested, and nothing more came out of this beyond "Look, I have a big rocket."

I am all for science... but these "bungee jumps" were not science, they were just PR.

Now if they left Bezos and Branson up there... well that might have been an improvement for the world.
Likes For genec:
Old 07-20-21, 12:59 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
And now Bezos has done his bungee jump... so two billionaires that could have improved lives here on earth have gone off for a less than half a day into near space, just for bragging rights... real f'n humanitarians there.
Then again, with such technology needing 1001 things to be perfect in order to function well enough for spaceflight, it's yet another rocket and technical management instance. They teams making it fly will learn from that. And hopefully, at some point, some legitimate replacement for the Space Shuttle will exist ... whether a cargo variant for NEO satellites and stations, or a cargo/passenger variant for faster Earth travel, or whatever.

Silly, bragging-rights type of thing on the surface. But with lots of benefits behind the scenes, in the long term.

Given such an excruciatingly long time horizon for "benefits" to accrue from any manned spaceflight, it's hard to assign any near-term value. At some point, I'm assuming a nearby planetary body in this solar system is going to be necessary in order to assure some sort of survival for existing species. If an attempt's going to be made, in the next few thousand years, a vast amount of knowledge and engineering know-how needs to be gained. Even if some of the little steps seem billionaire-grade pointless.

At the time of the "Curiosity" rover project's flight, for example, I had some contemptuous alternative terms for the thing, given all the problems here on this planet. Still, every little bit brings us one step closer.
Old 07-20-21, 01:55 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Then again, with such technology needing 1001 things to be perfect in order to function well enough for spaceflight, it's yet another rocket and technical management instance. They teams making it fly will learn from that. And hopefully, at some point, some legitimate replacement for the Space Shuttle will exist ... whether a cargo variant for NEO satellites and stations, or a cargo/passenger variant for faster Earth travel, or whatever.

Silly, bragging-rights type of thing on the surface. But with lots of benefits behind the scenes, in the long term.

Given such an excruciatingly long time horizon for "benefits" to accrue from any manned spaceflight, it's hard to assign any near-term value. At some point, I'm assuming a nearby planetary body in this solar system is going to be necessary in order to assure some sort of survival for existing species. If an attempt's going to be made, in the next few thousand years, a vast amount of knowledge and engineering know-how needs to be gained. Even if some of the little steps seem billionaire-grade pointless.

At the time of the "Curiosity" rover project's flight, for example, I had some contemptuous alternative terms for the thing, given all the problems here on this planet. Still, every little bit brings us one step closer.
For me the benefits are more along the lines of what designing for space brings... miniaturization, power saving and rugged designs, which lead to more robust satellites, which then allow us to monitor our weather and give us GPS and communications systems.

No doubt there was some "baby engineering" done in those gold plated bungee jumps... there was still some risk involved... and every launch is a data point. But other than that... those were just "joy rides."
Likes For genec:
Old 07-20-21, 02:06 PM
genec
genec

Well, maybe the richest man in the world has a tiny heart after all...

On Tuesday, after his 11-minute launch to the edge of space, Bezos gave $200 million in "courage and civility awards." The sum is split between chef José Andrés and CNN personality and social entrepreneur Van Jones to be given to charities and non-profits of their choice.

"We need unifiers and not villifiers," Bezos said announcing the award. "It's easy to be courageous but also mean. Try being courageous and civil. Try being courageous and a unifier. That's harder and way better, and makes the world better."

Moments after returning from the edge of space, Jeff Bezos thanked the Blue Origin team that made his flight possible. He also thanked the Texas town of Van Horn, which hosted Tuesday's launch. And then he said this:
"I want to thank every Amazon employee and every Amazon customer, 'cause you guys paid for all this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart very much."

Bezos' comment appears earnest and elicits chuckles from the press-conference audience. But as the Earth's wealthiest person — a centibillionaire of extreme proportions, worth over $200 billion — the man has been under an intense microscope for his attitudes toward America's gaping wealth divide.
https://www.npr.org/2021/07/20/10184...way-200-millio

Of course he waited until he landed... had he simply blown up in space...
Old 07-20-21, 02:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 166 Posts
Yeah, but at least Bezos did give $100 million each to Van Jones and Chef Andres to do social stuff here on earth.

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-24-21, 10:30 PM
genec
genec

Yup, just a joy ride... sorry Jeff, no "wings."

Jeff Bezos is a lot of things. A tax-dodging megalomaniac. A Dr. Evil lookalike. A weirdly horny cowboy hat enthusiast.

The one thing he isn’t—at least as far as the Federal Aviation Administration is concerned—is an astronaut.

That’s according to a set of
new guidelines that the federal agency issued on July 20, the same day Amazon’s ex-CEO briefly flew a dick-shaped space shuttle into the edge of space. Specifically, the updates concern the FAA’s Commercial Space Astronaut Wings Program, and the criteria used to award those commanding, piloting, or working on privately funded spacecraft with the coveted astronaut wings badge. And Bezos, as it turns out, just doesn’t make the cut.
https://gizmodo.com/the-faa-changed-...1847349971/amp
​​​​​​
Likes For genec:
Old 07-25-21, 06:54 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 166 Posts
He should have offered a bigger bribe to the FAA.

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-27-21, 07:39 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
He should have offered a bigger bribe to the FAA.
Rocket Cowboy is offering a bigger bribe to NASA to get his giant rocket into the Moon race.

Jeff Bezos wants to spot NASA up to $2 billion in a bid to reignite the battle for space between his rocket company Blue Origin and Elon Musk's SpaceX.

The world's richest man appealed to NASA Administrator Bill Nelson in an open letter Monday, offering to cover billions of dollars in the US space agency's costs. In doing so, Bezos hopes Blue Origin can be reconsidered for a contract to build the vehicle that will land the next astronauts on the moon.

His unusual proposal comes a few months after NASA chose SpaceX over Blue Origin for a $2.9 billion contract to build the vehicle.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/tech/...hnk/index.html

Last edited by genec; 07-27-21 at 08:03 AM.