Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Leg Shaving

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Question about Leg Shaving

Old 07-15-21, 05:45 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I only shave when I feel my fitness warrants it.

The question is whether you want the free 0.015-0.02 m^2 lower drag and are you willing to shave once per week? This about the same as going from a loose jersey to an aero jersey, not hard to measure and quantify.

Wax strips work well for the initial mauling but they are expensive. I used barber shears to get them to a nub and then shave with cream and a razor.

I think there is also a vanity aspect, you showing off the muscles and vein type thing. Massage is definitely easier with shaved legs.
The massage angle is the only legit reason. If you are a pro cyclists who cycles all day every day and gets daily leg massages, yes shaving would be beneficial.
Old 07-15-21, 05:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
That is really a good point. If doing high mileage tours and not sleeping in hotels, cleaning grimy legs is much easier when shaved.
Mileage isn’t always the driving factor. One can get messy over the last five miles of a long day.

BITD I went 5 days without a shower. Three days on the west side of Glacier National Park then a day at a state park with no shower and finally a day at a Forest Service campground with no shower. The last two days were pretty warm. Finally checked into a motel in Missoula. My appearance (and likely my smell) frightened the desk clerk a bit.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-15-21, 05:50 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I just watched the Specialized video. They say shaving saves 50-80 seconds on a 40km TT and is like going from a round tube frame to a Venge.

Is that trivial? How is that not faster? Is it enough to warrant the hassle?
Old 07-15-21, 05:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Geez, defensive much? He didn't think of the exceptional csse, so what?

OP specifically mentioned going faster as the reason, think that's a pretty good indication they're not talking about touring of any kind, let alone a situation where they are going to not shower for days.

And tbh, I wouldn't shave even under those circumstances because my legs aren't hairy enough for that to be a factor in getting my legs dirty. If they were going to be dirty hairy they'd also be dirty shaved.
I wasn’t responding to the OP but rather the person who who wrote don’t do it, it’s stupid and there is no reason to do it, in part because he’s never gotten dirty.

BTW…I also take blood thinners, so there’s that.
Old 07-15-21, 05:54 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
After healing from a crash with a lot of road rash on my legs, I started shaving my legs, just in case it should happen again (it did.) Cleaning and bandage changing is a lot easier with smooth skin.

If you're not sure you want to, just shave one leg and do some rides for comparison purposes.
Old 07-15-21, 05:59 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by pgjackson
The massage angle is the only legit reason. If you are a pro cyclists who cycles all day every day and gets daily leg massages, yes shaving would be beneficial.
Why do I have to be a pro to cycle all day? Why do I have to "get" massages? Can I massage them myself?

I guess you do not believe the improvement in CdA**********????
Old 07-15-21, 06:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I wasn’t responding to the OP but rather the person who who wrote don’t do it, it’s stupid and there is no reason to do it, in part because he’s never gotten dirty.

BTW…I also take blood thinners, so there’s that.

Yes, I'm aware of who you were responding to, and he's the one who didn't think of the exceptional case, so I thought your response was a bit over the of with the sarcasm. I'm not questioning your reasons for shaving. It makes sense for you, it probably wouldn't for me just because my legs aren't naturally hairy.

I also take blood thinners and I'm not sure for me what benefit shaving would bestow in that regard that would outweigh the risk of cutting myself shaving. Obviously, ymmv as leg hair is very different from person to person.

Do mountain bikers shave their legs? I'd think that would be the group most concerned with dirt.
Old 07-15-21, 06:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
I just watched the Specialized video. They say shaving saves 50-80 seconds on a 40km TT and is like going from a round tube frame to a Venge.

Is that trivial? How is that not faster? Is it enough to warrant the hassle?
Take it with a grain of salt. Aerodynamic drag grows as the square of speed. In other words, if you are doing the 40k tt at a high speed, yeah, you might realize some real gains from shaving. At mere mortal speeds, you'll get smaller gains.

For context, this guy set a world record in the 4k Pursuit, and did it without shaving off that 'stache:

Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-15-21, 06:46 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Koyote
Take it with a grain of salt. Aerodynamic drag grows as the square of speed. In other words, if you are doing the 40k tt at a high speed, yeah, you might realize some real gains from shaving. At mere mortal speeds, you'll get smaller gains.

For context, this guy set a world record in the 4k Pursuit, and did it without shaving off that 'stache:

You have it backwards. A 0.02 m^2 reduction in drag shaves more time off a slower rider than a faster rider. A 1:08 rider will benefit much more in time reduction than a 58 minute TT racer.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-15-21, 06:58 AM
Koyote

You have it backwards. A 0.02 m^2 reduction in drag shaves more time off a slower rider than a faster rider. A 1:08 rider will benefit much more in time reduction than a 58 minute TT racer.
I won’t argue, since I’m not familiar with the math. But can you explain in lay terms why this is the case? On a casual level, it doesn’t jibe with what I understand about aero drag.
Old 07-15-21, 07:03 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If they were going to be dirty hairy they'd also be dirty shaved.
Dirty Hairy you say? "This is the Gillette Fusion 5, the most powerful razor in the world. Go ahead... shave my legs..."

Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-15-21, 07:04 AM
GhostRider62

I won’t argue, since I’m not familiar with the math. But can you explain in lay terms why this is the case? On a casual level, it doesn’t jibe with what I understand about aero drag.
A slower rider is out there suffering longer, so, they save more time.

https://blog.trekbikes.com/en/2020/0...really-matter/

https://www.cervelo.com/en/slow-vs-fast-riders

https://blog.flocycling.com/aero-whe...h-aero-wheels/
Old 07-15-21, 07:10 AM
GhostRider62

Per Flo's calculations, their 60 mm wheels save 80 seconds over 36 spoke standard wheels on a 40km TT ridden at 30 mph but if ridden at 15 mph, the time savings is 160 seconds. It is often assumed aerodynamics only help faster riders, this is not true.

https://blog.flocycling.com/aero-whe...reducing-drag/
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-15-21, 07:12 AM
Koyote

There must be a lower bound… Otherwise the largest gains will go to a rider who is sitting still.
Old 07-15-21, 07:18 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Right now I barely have time to get in a few rides a week .......certainly no time to shave my legs. I answer these questions in a very simple fashion. If a wanna do it ....give it a try .... see if you like it and if its worth it. If not .....you can quit.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-15-21, 07:19 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
OP..shave if you like, don't if you don't. I don't like body hair so I shave my arms and legs
Old 07-15-21, 07:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I don't know about shaving hair on skin that is going to be exposed, but shaving short the hair on skin that is covered by clothing seems to let the wicking qualities of my shorts and jersey to do their job better and I feel like I am cooler. It also seems to be much less skin irritation down in the nether regions when the hair is trimmed short.

Whether it's evidence or not, I have never had a saddle sore in the last 30 years or more. Nor do I use any chamois cream, even when riding for 4 and 5 hours.
Old 07-15-21, 07:27 AM
GhostRider62

There must be a lower bound… Otherwise the largest gains will go to a rider who is sitting still.
I am not making that point, sitting still isn't very fast.

Think of it this way, you get your biggest bang (time savings for energy output) when the forces are linear against you.

When you are going very fast, it takes a massive effort to go just a little bit faster. The gains are harder and harder to achieve as the speed increases. When you are going slower, it is easier to make improvements resulting in shorter times or alternatively, you can ride just the same speed with lower power levels. If you are going 5 mph, a 10% increase in power will get you 10% increase in speed. At 30 mph, that same 10% increase in power will only yield about 3% increase in speed. Where aero losses really mount depends on the rider/bike combination but it is lower than many assume....maybe 15 mph
Old 07-15-21, 07:27 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know about shaving hair on skin that is going to be exposed, but shaving short the hair on skin that is covered by clothing seems to let the wicking qualities of my shorts and jersey to do their job better and I feel like I am cooler. It also seems to be much less skin irritation down in the nether regions when the hair is trimmed short.

Whether it's evidence or not, I have never had a saddle sore in the last 30 years or more. Nor do I use any chamois cream, even when riding for 4 and 5 hours.
You shave your ass? Or do you have your manservant do it for you? 😁
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-15-21, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

In absolute terms, yes. Proportionally, no. If you're doing time trials and racing, you'll probably notice it. Other kinds of riding, probably not.

I really think some of this is coming down to how much leg hair you actually have, that .02 figure is an average of some sample. My leg hair is naturally very short and a bit sparse, I honestly don't think I'd see much difference if they were completely smooth.
Old 07-15-21, 07:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Per Flo's calculations, their 60 mm wheels save 80 seconds over 36 spoke standard wheels on a 40km TT ridden at 30 mph but if ridden at 15 mph, the time savings is 160 seconds. It is often assumed aerodynamics only help faster riders, this is not true.

https://blog.flocycling.com/aero-whe...reducing-drag/

Just once, I'd like to see this argument be based on figures that don't come from someone who was trying to sell a product.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-15-21 at 07:34 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-15-21, 07:31 AM
Bowie Beattie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
do we really talk about shaving here
Old 07-15-21, 07:33 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts

Looking at his stache, he might have another career that requires performing in his birthday suit. He probably shaves his legs for that reason.
Old 07-15-21, 07:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
You shave your ass? Or do you have your manservant do it for you? 😁
I have arms that are capable of reaching most every part of my body except for some places on my shoulder blades.

A long time ago I did have to have my wife cut a dingle berry off. That was long before I started.... grooming things. For a long time have had too much hair, long hair, everywhere but the top of my head. Not quite as bad as the GEICO caveman, except he had hair on his head too. But then again we never saw him naked. So maybe he also shaved the parts under his cycling clothes. <grin>
Old 07-15-21, 07:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Dirty Hairy you say? "This is the Gillette Fusion 5, the most powerful razor in the world. Go ahead... shave my legs..."

"Are you feeling grungy...punk?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.