Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 07-10-21, 08:05 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
The roller coaster ride continues. It looks likes I am going to get that big promotion after all. It's getting hard to keep up with it all.
Congrats?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-10-21, 08:08 PM
carpediemracing 

I walked Into the bike room last night. Seemed much brighter. Looked around. Realized that the wood 2x2 that I put into the wall and hung various frames and couple wheel-less bikes had fallen off the wall, hence it was brighter. No damage but it delayed riding by quite a bit. I moved two frames (the wheel-less bikes) and left the other 3 or whatever frames as is. As I pointed out to the Missus, they have no more potential energy because they've already fallen down.

"Unless a sinkhole opens up under the house"

Well, right, that's true. But then the bikes would be the least of my worries.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-12-21, 08:19 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Note to self. If in a professional stage race on TV, remember to zip up the jersey when trying to chase back on going downhill into the wind after a climb.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-12-21, 04:19 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
The scary stretching device works; ROM improved from 70 to 85% in just 4 days.

I joked with her today: "you just like hurting people."
She responds: "it was this or dentistry."
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-12-21, 04:53 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Flatballer I need an update on the beep. Have you solved it?
Old 07-12-21, 05:07 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Texas Crit Nats was Sunday in Austin. I told junior I'd fly out to watch (today is his 23rd BDay). He declined and wanted to do the beer olympics. I guess it is a thing. He said the field was pretty stacked anyway.
Old 07-13-21, 07:08 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
Flatballer I need an update on the beep. Have you solved it?
I have not. It has stopped again. It has rained a decent bit, but not a ton, so still not sure how that's related, or if it's related at all. I ran out of (good) ideas a long time ago.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-14-21, 08:16 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Hermes
Note to self. If in a professional stage race on TV, remember to zip up the jersey when trying to chase back on going downhill into the wind after a climb.
Thanks for this reminder. I better put a note on my stem for the next time I'm on a professional stage race on TV.

lol.
Old 07-14-21, 08:46 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Thanks for this reminder. I better put a note on my stem for the next time I'm on a professional stage race on TV.

lol.
Did you see TdF rider who went from 5th to 9th losing time on a descent and run in to the finish? He had his jersey open for the climb and did not zip it up for the descent. It was flapping the entire time and he had trouble chasing on to a rider who PASSED him on the descent. He deserves a downgrade to a Cat 5. What a disaster.
Old 07-14-21, 02:35 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I started a thread on this over in the road forum but FYI - tube prices have doubled at some distributors overnight. They also hinted that they will double again in a month or two. There are discussions of a rubber shortage and most of these facilities are in Malaysia where covid has their government shutting down factories. Shimano has been shut down there for a month so far.

Just FYI. Should impact all tires and tubes to an extent and at some point. When and by how much is up in the air. If you're particularly sweet on particular tires and tubes, etc then maybe stock up.

Tubeless will suck though as there is a shelf life to sealant and they almost all have latex in them.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-14-21, 03:07 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
mmmmmlatex
Old 07-14-21, 03:27 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Thanks psimet - I needed a few tubes anyway so I placed an order and got a couple extra.
Old 07-14-21, 03:45 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

is there any that are affordable that are worth a damn? link?
Old 07-14-21, 05:15 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

They're still available right now in retail channels. Prices will creep up as everything trickles through the supply chain. Just saying if there's something you like then maybe buy a couple more than normal and put them on the shelf.

Old 07-14-21, 05:36 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I think I like cheap
Old 07-14-21, 06:48 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

about 2-3 years ago I was charging $5/tube retail. Then I went to $6. Last year I went to $7. This year I will probably go to $8 or $9.

For reference I used to be able to buy tubes for about $1.39-$2.10. Last check they went to $3.99 and they are all sold out.

Old 07-14-21, 06:51 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I used to get a box a season from a sponsor. I took me a decade to run out. But out I am.
Old 07-15-21, 09:18 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Hermes
Did you see TdF rider who went from 5th to 9th losing time on a descent and run in to the finish? He had his jersey open for the climb and did not zip it up for the descent. It was flapping the entire time and he had trouble chasing on to a rider who PASSED him on the descent. He deserves a downgrade to a Cat 5. What a disaster.
I did not see that. Wowsers.

I still think it's amazing that there are such strong pros that can't do basic things well, like corner or whatnot.

I have to admit that when I lost about 40 lbs I had problems on descents suddenly. Not only did I have to pedal down them, I had to pedal hard. Before I just tucked and coasted, I descended like a brick. I guess it helps to be carrying a full propane tank worth of weight when bombing down a descent.
Old 07-15-21, 09:20 PM
carpediemracing 

So demoralized at work today. Unhealthily so I think. Back to where I was a month or six ago. I need to figure something out because it's close to unbearable. Boss is good, a couple coworkers, a few customers, but everyone else... both coworkers and many customers.
Old 07-15-21, 11:00 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

One of these is going to be my new buddy. Born last Friday.
Old 07-16-21, 08:33 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
So demoralized at work today. Unhealthily so I think. Back to where I was a month or six ago. I need to figure something out because it's close to unbearable. Boss is good, a couple coworkers, a few customers, but everyone else... both coworkers and many customers.
Following Enthalpic 's picture, I don't suppose it's possible to get a shop puppy is it? Someone would have to take care of it nights/weekends, but places that have been able to pull that off have a mellowing vibe.
Old 07-16-21, 08:53 AM
carpediemracing 

Ironically someone just stopped by with their shop dog. Was scritching her until she sank to the cool garage floor and lay down. Then the person (runs a friendly rival garage) had to go.
Old 07-16-21, 09:05 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Compartmentalize the craziness where you can and know that it will go away in the future. Try to stay positive and find as many things as possible that are good.

Much like racing in a peloton during a hard section, you are suffering but know that everyone else in the peloton is suffering too. You have to get through it until the pace slows or the course gets easier. Good luck.
Old 07-17-21, 10:43 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Following Enthalpic 's picture, I don't suppose it's possible to get a shop puppy is it? Someone would have to take care of it nights/weekends, but places that have been able to pull that off have a mellowing vibe.
Bike shops and auto shops are different, but Uptown Cycles in Charlotte (awesome shop) had what I believe was the owner's dog. A big, friendly boxer I think. Awesome dog, very chill, kinda did their own thing, if they got a really good feeling about you they'd come chill with you.
Old 07-18-21, 08:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Local phenom Antonio Rossi just won the Junior 17-18 national IP! This makes me feel all sorts of things, but mostly elated, and proud. He also got second in the points and third overall in the ominum.

He is the number one kid that I am scared of at TNR. Most of the time I can make the selection with him, but me and others (incl. local pros, USA crits types) are just getting spanked since he seems to be able to lift the pace or attack at will from a full gas paceline. I've ridden a number of key selections/breaks with him in road bike racing scenarios as well. When I'm going really good (for me), I like to think that he's someone that he can count on to drive a move. Certainly not a threat, so maybe someone he enjoys having around haha

I've watched this kid for about 4 years now and I remember when he was barely hanging on in the A's. Pre-pandemic he was already a little scary, and his dad (also a racer, seen below cheering) would LMK when I had to worry about him or not. He is focused on his schooling and has other activities that he participates in too, and seems to be able to whip himself up into top shape with a few weeks of training.

He's a real talent, and now it confirms my suspicions that he is world-class. Between his cycling and other pursuits (pun intended), I'm quite excited to see what's next for Antonio!

Father Andrea cheering in the foreground

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.