Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Project Denali...aka pimp this turd

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Project Denali...aka pimp this turd

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-21, 08:12 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
The Denali trim still is a very popular upscale trim line for GMC. I suspect that they/Walmart knew it would attract attention, which it does. The branding and graphics package on it probably accounts for a very large percentage of the sales of those bikes.
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The GMC Denali was actually a very desireable upscale trim for the GMC trucks, that at one point had AWD , 4wheel steering (which worked well!), and a plastic truck bed (which also worked well)

What on earth possessed GM to license this name brand to a bottom of the barrel ***Mart store bike?
It's nolonger a trim. Infact it was that generation(GMT 900 I think), where the trims for the C/K series GM trucks Denali, Sierra and Silverado became the actual name for the trucks, as well as the GMC Surburban rebadged Tahoe. The trims are now Base, LT, LTZ, Z71, and sometimes SS. The trucks did not come with AWD, but it was optional on the Suburban and Escalade in certain years, and I think the H3's 4wd system was AWD, using the same tcase used on the Sy/Ty, Astro/Safari, Bravada, and 2002-03 Mountaineer. Plus there was also the Hummer bike.

Last edited by Jax Rhapsody; 07-09-21 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-09-21, 08:21 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Originally Posted by trailangel
29 to 14 lbs.... you are dreaming.......
it was a lot lighter than original. It was lighter by a pound or two than a 1990 Schwinn Worldsport by our ultra scientific testing of picking both bikes up at the co-op. Maybe not 14lbs, but it's lighter than whatever that World Sport weighed.
Old 07-14-21, 04:01 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think the OP should go for it. Its fun to build up stuff from misc. parts.
My Denali was a garage sale parts bike that I used to make into a singlespeed/fixie. A friend had given an SS/FG wheelset of unknown origin but seemed to be of decent quality. My ride has a 38 x 17 drivetrain with a 1/8 chain and a half link I had to use to make it work. I used parts I had plus some stuff from Amazon. So far its been good and no trouble. I had to keep the iron crankset and chainring for cost reasons. I'll upgrade soon as I find a used alloy road crank. Current the weight is 24lbs. The aluminum frame makes for a rough ride so I've got a padded saddle on it. Its rolling on 28m Continental Ride Tour tires. So far I haven't tried it as a fixie. I'll post a pic when I can.
Likes For Pianoboy57:
Old 07-15-21, 07:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Whatever you do to it you will still have a GMC Denali. Like pimping out a Pinto or a Yugo. Seems like a complete waste of money.
Not really. If he just wants a beater bike that he doesn't care too much if it gets torn up, then it's worth it to fix it up a little. I did the same with an old Roadmaster mountain bike which I use on gravel. It was given to me so I didn't feel too bad putting just a little money into it to have a bike I can abuse on gravel.
Old 07-15-21, 02:02 PM
Pianoboy57

Bikes: 2004 Schwinn Super Sport, 2017 Trek Marlin 6, 1997 Raleigh M80, 200? Schwinn Cruiser SS, 1973 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here it is, my much maligned and hated upon Denali. Its not quite complete because I'm upgrading the calipers. I don't have a pair of cable cutters that won't ruin the cable.

Open
Old 07-16-21, 09:34 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You should remove all the GMC Denali decals and stickers before upgrading.

Perhaps Cadillac Escalade decals would be a solid upgrade
Likes For DMC707:
Old 07-16-21, 10:02 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What on earth possessed GM to license this name brand to a bottom of the barrel ***Mart store bike?
I'm hoping that you are attempting droll humor here ^.

Of course, the word denali predates the motor vehicle, and it's common use stems from its association with the National Park that bears its name, as well as a mountain recently re-named. The word origin is aboriginal indian, meaning (loosely) "mountain-big".
Old 07-16-21, 12:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
This bike was a beast... I don't care what yall say.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BO3Abhvj...dium=copy_link
14 pounds?
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

ha.

I want your scale for home use. Itll make me feel better every time I step on it. Immediate 15 pound weigh reduction from reality!
Old 07-16-21, 02:02 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
I'm curious as to how this turns out. I've seen Denali's on CL and always wondered what it would be like converting over to decent components.
I did something similar with my DSG Nishiki Maricopa. I bought it new and over time, upgraded it.Starting weight was around 24 lbs. Finishing weight is just under 19 lbs. Be interesting to see something similar with the Denali
Old 07-16-21, 03:30 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'm hoping that you are attempting droll humor here ^.

Of course, the word denali predates the motor vehicle, and it's common use stems from its association with the National Park that bears its name, as well as a mountain recently re-named. The word origin is aboriginal indian, meaning (loosely) "mountain-big".
The box the bike comes in, though, has the GM logo on it and language to the effect that the use of the logo and Denali name are made available as licensed from GM.

I'm not sure how the licensing agreement came about - Was Kent so enamored of the Denali name that they sought GM's blessing (and paid royalties to GM)? Really strange.
Old 07-17-21, 09:59 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Of course, the word denali predates the motor vehicle, and it's common use stems from its association with the National Park
The name of the bike is GMC Denali. . Do you seriously think that has nothing to do with the GMC truck/suburban of the same name?
Old 07-18-21, 09:05 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
The name of the bike is GMC Denali. . Do you seriously think that has nothing to do with the GMC truck/suburban of the same name?
Right. That familiar branding attracting eyes is the reason the bike exists (and why it sells in numbers large enough to be readily found in the used market).

It’s literally what makes people NOTICE & REMEMBER it, to the extent that they decide it must be worth picking up and improving (as opposed to starting with a similarly inexpensive but better project frame).
Old 07-18-21, 10:41 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Just a quick update. Phase I of project Denali is complete. I opted to go with flat bars instead of drop bars. I was going to use a hollow tech bottom bracket and cranks, but that didn't work out, because the biggest ring was warped and the non drive side pedal had a stripped screw (never trust Amazon warehouse deals.) I cannibalized a bike frame I wasn't feeling too keen on and use some of the parts for that, to complete the build.

Phase II will involve getting a lighter fork, and going to a threadless headset. Phase 2.5 will be the upgrade to a hollowtech style BB and cranks. Phase III might going to a 1x with a wide range 8 or 9 speed cassette.

Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 07-18-21, 02:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Here's the Blog section thread for folks who want to follow along. https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s...2142933:thumb:
Old 07-18-21, 04:28 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by grizzly907la
Just a quick update. Phase I of project Denali is complete. I opted to go with flat bars instead of drop bars. I was going to use a hollow tech bottom bracket and cranks, but that didn't work out, because the biggest ring was warped and the non drive side pedal had a stripped screw (never trust Amazon warehouse deals.) I cannibalized a bike frame I wasn't feeling too keen on and use some of the parts for that, to complete the build.

Phase II will involve getting a lighter fork, and going to a threadless headset. Phase 2.5 will be the upgrade to a hollowtech style BB and cranks. Phase III might going to a 1x with a wide range 8 or 9 speed cassette.

I'm interested in fork choice. I don't want to toss the oem hiten fork back on mine.
Old 07-18-21, 04:33 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
14 pounds?
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

ha.

I want your scale for home use. Itll make me feel better every time I step on it. Immediate 15 pound weigh reduction from reality!
About 6 post above yours; I corrected that claim. Pay attention, fool.
Old 07-18-21, 06:39 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la

That is Professional Grade.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 07-18-21, 06:59 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ghazmh
that is professional grade.
lol!
Old 07-19-21, 05:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
About 6 post above yours; I corrected that claim. Pay attention, fool.
That's not nice....
Old 07-19-21, 05:23 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
That's not nice....
Niether was he.