Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Just ditched my land line - woohoo !

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Just ditched my land line - woohoo !

Old 07-20-21, 09:48 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
I still have my land line...I don't know why...
I know exactly why we still have our land line: Because for the last ~10-15 years, having a 212 area code in New York City is considered a status symbol. That's it; pure vanity.

But yeah, we're about to disconnect it, because for every legitimate call we get on it -- which is maybe once per month, from some doctors' offices that still have our old records because we've been with them for decades -- we get easily 50 illegitimate calls. And this past month with primary candidates' robo-calls it was more like 50 illiegitimate calls a day.
Old 07-20-21, 11:00 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked 1,046 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Zedoo View Post
Land phones can be as simple as a few wires in a wood box. Shortwave may pick up the slack where lines are not practical.
Inside your house, sure. But land line infrastructure is going to go away as revenue goes down and they don't want to maintain the lines.

True land lines, not VOIP fake land lines, are doomed. I couldn't care less. Unfortunate though, that the last areas to be served by telephone lines (like rural areas) are also the last areas to get good cable TV, good cell service, and good internet access, so they will also be the last ones to have an opportunity to dump their land lines.

Even VOIP lines probably won't be around forever - my company is getting rid of desk phones except for the receptionist... told us to have only our mobile number in the email sig line too... if I didn't have a box of hundreds of business cards it'd probably get taken off of there also.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-20-21, 11:00 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 164 Posts
Our landline ditched us about 10 years ago. I was having some work done on the house and the line must have been cut. Since I wasn't using it very much I just had the service disconnected. Also cut cable about 5 years ago. That made me so happy. I still have internet of course, but that's it.
Old 07-20-21, 12:56 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 29 frames + 74 wheels

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcv View Post
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-20-21, 01:38 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I know exactly why we still have our land line: Because for the last ~10-15 years, having a 212 area code in New York City is considered a status symbol. That's it; pure vanity.

But yeah, we're about to disconnect it, because for every legitimate call we get on it -- which is maybe once per month, from some doctors' offices that still have our old records because we've been with them for decades -- we get easily 50 illegitimate calls. And this past month with primary candidates' robo-calls it was more like 50 illegitimated calls a day.
You can keep your land line telephone number and stop paying for a land line account by transferring the number to a smartphone device. If you want to keep the telephone number that is already assigned to a smart phone that you already have, buy an inexpensive smartphone with an inexpensive plan. Example: Bargain Smartphones
We transferred our land line number to an LG Smartphone (LG Premier Pro 5.3") that I had previously bought for $71 with a one year Tracfone plan included. We operate it off the wi-fi feature when the phone is in the house which is most of the time, since neither my wife nor I want to carry around anything bulkier or more complex than a flip phone for phone calls away from home.

At the end of the paid year I can renew the Tracfone plan for another two years for about $150 total. Besides the $40/month saving on the land line cost, I can now get text messages from Medical providers, pharmacy, service providers, etc. who have been calling my land line number for years. The voice mail and ignore features for illegitimate calls are much better than were available with telephone company service. It is a win-win all around.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-20-21, 02:18 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
You can keep your land line telephone number and stop paying for a land line account by transferring the number to a smartphone device.
That makes sense if you are indeed using your land line for something. The only use I had for mine was that my old alarm system was connected to it, and when I replaced it with a wireless cell based system, it served no purpose whatsoever. I do have a fax machine, but the last time I used it was 9 years ago.

I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-20-21, 02:56 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Yes, I know. But with a computer to do the normal and customer "computer" stuff, it's not all that vital to have a contemporary mobile phone. Though some businesses require a "legitimate" cell phone number in order to do business with you, and some will only communicate via texting (oddly enough). Meh. They can have it. And leave a message. I'll review messages once I get back to the house. Worked fine before 1990. Works just fine now.

Old 07-20-21, 02:59 PM
prj71

I pray to god that this statement isn't serious.

I feel sorry for the humanity that lives there if this is the truth.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-20-21, 03:16 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 195 Posts
I had to laugh when I read this because I completely understand it. I could do something like that.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-20-21, 03:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 15285 Post(s)
Liked 6,527 Times in 3,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820 View Post
Haven't done a traditional "land" line for years. Don't do "smart" phones and texting, so I avoid most of that mess. Still get some spammy calls, but I won't answer the phone for any number I don't already know. If they leave a message (which is rare), I'll all them back. I'll pick up for known friends or contacts. (Requires maintaining a "white list" on the phone service, and managing the "blocked" list of numbers, but overall it's cut own on 99% of the junk calls.) I do get looked at like I'm a green bug, at shops, when I inform them I don't have a smart phone to get texts from them; but I can deal with that. Overall, works well for me.

My condolences to those that find they have to continually fight the spammers and can't seem to find a way out of it. I feel for ya.
A smart phone has basically been like death by a thousand paper cuts, but in reverse. No one thing is truly monumental, it's just a million little ways life is slightly more convenient or less troublesome. These things are tools, you get to decide how to use them to your advantage. And learning new things is good for your brain the same way riding a bike is good for your body.
Old 07-20-21, 04:13 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I personally find the smartphone to be a total miracle that has made my life so much easier and safer. I don't begrudge the cost, since I've probably saved ten times what I've spent on the hardware and cell service. We often lose power where I live, and were it not for my phone I'd lose internet access, since my modem and wifi router shut down, so my computers and tablets don't work. It also can do a lot of other stuff like remotely access my home security system or unlock my front door for service techs when I'm not at home. My only complaint is that they keep getting larger and I have small hands.

Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-20-21, 05:31 PM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I don't yell at any of it, myself. Just watching the head-in-tech-24x7 types do themselves that way, for the most part. Everyone's content. They get their jollies never being capable of disconnecting (not even when supping with friends or family); I get to have a relatively stress-free day without continually being peppered by the things.
Old 07-20-21, 06:01 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 1,040 Posts
At my house, we moved our landline number to Vonage maybe 15 years ago, it's been like $12-15/mo ever since.
Old 07-20-21, 06:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
I pray to god that this statement isn't serious.
I feel sorry for the humanity that lives there if this is the truth.
It used to be a sign of "established" New Yorkers... now it's a sign that you still have a land line.

I've had three different area codes in the same house - they keep making the areas smaller and adding new ones. 1 before fax machines, 1 after fax machines, 1 after cell phones.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-21-21, 03:37 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16094 Post(s)
Liked 1,445 Times in 1,056 Posts
I have both. The cell phone for all the things it does away from home such as Waze, texting and emergency phone calls. The land line at home through my internet provider for clarity of voice. If only some 100% cell phone users could hear what they sound like...........
Old 07-21-21, 07:32 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
It used to be a sign of "established" New Yorkers... now it's a sign that you still have a land line.

I've had three different area codes in the same house - they keep making the areas smaller and adding new ones. 1 before fax machines, 1 after fax machines, 1 after cell phones.
Yeah. I feels sad for that segment of humanity...everything has to be a quantifiable game.
Old 07-21-21, 09:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
That makes sense if you are indeed using your land line for something. The only use I had for mine was that my old alarm system was connected to it, and when I replaced it with a wireless cell based system, it served no purpose whatsoever. I do have a fax machine, but the last time I used it was 9 years ago.
I had no use for the installed land line equipment or hookup, my goal was to keep the telephone number that was associated with that landline. Numerous business and medical organizations used that number as our home telephone number. For the past 20 years that is the number they used to contact us at home.

Now for about $75/year, we eliminated the approx $50 monthly land line charge and our home telephone number for the past 20 years remains our number of record. We had no need to change our contact information with any organization or business that we have had an account with for the past 20 years and those organizations can still contact us using the number they have on record, at home or wherever we take the smartphone

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-21-21 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 01:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,444 Posts
I dumped the landline after my mom died. I was her caregiver for a decade and as her dementia worsened she lost much of her memory of the second half of her life. So she couldn't remember how to use a cell phone, even though she'd had one for awhile. Same with the computer. She'd had one since the late 1990s or early 2000s, but couldn't remember how to use it anymore. The memories that stuck with her were from childhood and young adulthood. So we switched from a button style touch tone phone to one with a rotary dial that worked like a touch tone phone.

But we hadn't had a real landline for about a decade, even when we still had a home phone. Years ago the phone service was switched so it went through the modem. So whenever the power or internet went out, so did the phone. That eliminated the one advantage to old school landlines -- the phone was often that last utility to fail in a storm or weather emergency.

By the time I discontinued the home phone around 2019 after mom died, I was getting maybe one legit call a week and dozens of spam calls and wrong numbers. It was a relief to ditch that phone.

But going strictly cell phone had its own problems. I changed phone numbers about six times over a two year period trying to find a reliable and affordable carrier, and a number that wasn't flooded with junk calls. That made a mess with my health care system because even when I updated my contact info, the old info persisted throughout the system. So I'd receive emails complaining that I wasn't answering the phone, because they called a discontinued number. I'm guessing they must have switched to using their personal or business cell phones for most business, so it didn't do any good to update my contact info in their computer records, since the callers were relying on their cell phone contact lists.

Many younger folks will never have the experience of a phone conversation on the world's best full duplex, well modulated voice communications system. Looking back, the landline phone of the era from the 1950s-'90s was remarkable for audio fidelity, clarity, lack of distortion, and the ability to hear every nuance in conversations. We got just enough feedback of our own voice that it was easier to modulate our tone and volume. It was actually enjoyable to have long phone conversations. There's a good reason why the telephone featured so prominently in pop music love songs, TV and movies.

Most younger folks I know dislike voice phone conversations and prefer texting. They usually claim to be "introverts" but I suspect that self-diagnosis is based on being uncomfortable with the comparatively poor quality of voice calling on cell phones. Too often the audio quality is mediocre at best, lacking full duplex, with uneven volume, poor audio feedback, and lags that make any conversation awkward and intimate conversations impossible. These same folks are usually fine with in-person conversations.

But most cell phones/carriers are still lacking the qualities and nuances of the old landline. I can be pretty chatty but I dislike most phone conversations now. Occasionally if it's important I'll switch to a wired headset with cushioned headphones and decent microphone. It's still not as good as the old landline, but better than the built in mics and speakers on most cell phones.

Last year I had a few Zoom meetings for legal and medical issues, mostly related to injuries from being hit by a car a few years ago. It was awful. The lag time, poor modulation, accidentally talking over someone else, difficulty in telling who was saying what to whom (depending on their camera orientation), etc. I could see why some professionals and media folks who had to resort to Zoom throughout the pandemic described the stress and anxiety they felt using Zoom and similar video conferencing. The technology sucks compared with good landlines. For my most recent legal conference we skipped Zoom and just had a phone conference. The occasional long pauses while someone was reading documents or calling other parties was still less awkward than a video conference.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-22-21, 04:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 10705 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,872 Posts
Sadly, part of that lack of fidelity, when some folks use a phone is due to using a bluetooth headset. They can be awful.

For all my meetings I use a high quality wired headset with a good mike and ear cups. That headset is plugged into either computer or phone 3.5mm jack.

I do agree about the overall lack of fidelity in cell phones, and have found that from time to time I get HD connections due to my carrier supporting WiFi calls. Still, it is not as good as the old land lines, where I could discern switching noise in the background as well as subtle voice changes... easily.
Old 07-22-21, 07:45 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie View Post
I do have a fax machine, but the last time I used it was 9 years ago.
Fun story - FAX machines of course very popular late '90s. I used to get a lot of junk mail to refinance or whatever and they'd say "FAX your info to us at (xxx) yad-yada. I had a fax modem in my computer so I used to send them something like this:

That would use up a boatload of toner and clog up their machine. Imagine printing that with an ink jet!
My phone number would be on the fax so sometimes they'd call me back and beg me to stop, or they didn't know that I knew what it was doing.

I seldom get that satisfaction from call center a-holes... those calls usually end up with swearing at each other and hanging up.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-22-21, 09:23 PM
Hondo Gravel
es ist mir egal

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 2,309 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Will G View Post
Cut the land line a while back. Half the bill was just taxes and fees for a service we didn't use. More recently, we cut the cable, well, satellite dish in our case. Again, something we didn't use 99% of the time and we could find what we did watch on a streaming service. Dealing with the "what can we do to keep you" person was comical.
300 channels and still nothing to watch! Satellite Internet is not high speed! My dang cell phone gets 1 bar even with a 5G tower just 5 miles away! Only FRIKIN thing that is good is SiriusXM radio now that is cool. Iím not going to add up the money per year those crummy services cost because I donít want to know. I got rid of a credit card and I finally had to say Iím moving to Mars! Quit trying to keep me as a customer!
Old 07-23-21, 07:34 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Most younger folks I know dislike voice phone conversations and prefer texting. They usually claim to be "introverts" but I suspect that self-diagnosis is based on being uncomfortable with the comparatively poor quality of voice calling on cell phones. Too often the audio quality is mediocre at best, lacking full duplex, with uneven volume, poor audio feedback, and lags that make any conversation awkward and intimate conversations impossible. These same folks are usually fine with in-person conversations.
No that isn't it. It's just easier and makes more sense to fire off a quick text message then go through the process of dialing a number and then talking just to exchange about a dozen words. Not sure what carrier you are using, but the audio quality on my carrier (Verizon) is superb.

Last year I had a few Zoom meetings for legal and medical issues, mostly related to injuries from being hit by a car a few years ago. It was awful. The lag time, poor modulation, accidentally talking over someone else, difficulty in telling who was saying what to whom (depending on their camera orientation), etc. I could see why some professionals and media folks who had to resort to Zoom throughout the pandemic described the stress and anxiety they felt using Zoom and similar video conferencing. The technology sucks compared with good landlines. For my most recent legal conference we skipped Zoom and just had a phone conference. The occasional long pauses while someone was reading documents or calling other parties was still less awkward than a video conference.
Lol. Do you have poor internet service also? Dial up? DSL? I haven't experienced any of that on Zoom meetings.